Installing Tuson TPMS repeater in LEII

John Davies suggested that I should start a new thread about my Tuson TPMS installation and attach some pictures.

The first picture shows the Blue Sea bus bar, 4 fused circuits, that I installed under the dinette seat adjacent  to the pantry.  This is where the ground bar is located and as far as my power cable from the repeater reached.  The repeater is installed under the dinette seat adjacent to the bathroom.  Tuson says they want the repeater as far forward as possible and facing a certain direction too.  I snaked the cable in the basement under dinette and there is a picture that shows where I installed it.  In this picture, you can see the power cable that I ran to the Blue Sea bus bar.  It is fused too.  The two spares are still attached via a tie wrap and can be see right behind the transfer switch cable.  You can see the smaller red power cable connected to the first circuit on the bus bar.  If you look closely, you will see that I added a 4 position ground bar which tees with the original ground bar.  I removed the screw that Oliver installed to hold the ground bar and replaced with one long enough to account for the thickness of the 4 position ground bar.IMG_0533.thumb.jpg.541b0a1c6e20198bac97c4019f733bba.jpg1131320854_IMG_05334.thumb.jpg.818595c91c36e2aa9bdd36742ca33bca.jpg

The next picture shows the Oliver main 12 volt bus bar.  The orientation is messed up, but left is down and right is up.  This bus bar is located just beyond the fused breaker under the street side bed adjacent to the pantry.  The power cable that supplies the bus bar I installed is connected over the positive battery cable that is fed from the fused breaker just visible to the right, but displayed on the bottom of this picture. IMG_0532.thumb.jpg.a90400144bdaf8535dfd3a1711018fb2.jpg

The third picture is an additional picture of the fused power cable that I installed.IMG_0534.thumb.jpg.40a35175f8bd01ac4b7089ac2f51e4fd.jpg

Finally, the fourth picture shows the TPMS repeater and I snapped the picture upside down.  It is attached with the peel and stick rubber backing.  The wire adjacent to it is power for the LED courtesy light on the dinette seat wall adjacent to the aisle.

I am not sure how important it is or not, but one of purported benefits of installing the repeater using the battery power is to get readings from the RV batteries while you drive.  I am not sure how important that really is, but Tuson really wants me to have the repeater installed due to the overall length of the trailer.  The repeater could be installed on the outside because it is waterproof.  It only activates, like the TPMS transmitters inside the tires, when the trailer moves, so they are all powered off when the RV is sitting still after a period of time.

The LED display is pretty old school, but the functionality seems good.  The display can rotate between the tire pressure, tire temperature and battery reading or the preferred screen can be selected.  It alarms for low and high pressure and high temperature.  Low tire pressure will activate the TPMS sender too without the RV moving which I will test at some point.

David Caswell

IMG_0535.thumb.jpg.a9fdda2b20b32e15b364a1641f77d86a.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• 1 month later...

Feedback about Tuson TPMS after several months and it is all good.  After installing the repeater inside the Ollie, I haven’t had any issues with receiving the signals from the transmitters.  They all start transmitting after the trailer starts moving, but they come online at different time which can be disconcerting.  I would definitely install again.  Downside of the install is we don’t have nitrogen in the tires or at least 100 percent nitrogen.

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

Thanks for taking the time to make this detailed post. I do caution you, if those spare fuses are still dangling from that wire, take them off and put them safely away, in a galley drawer or in your spares kit. It is unlikely that they will fall off, but if they did, it might be a problem when there are live power wires below..... at the very least they might drop into the wiring bundle below and get lost.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, GraniteStaters said:

Downside of the install is we don’t have nitrogen in the tires or at least 100 percent nitrogen.

Normal dry air is 78.09% nitrogen, so as long as you keep it under 10,000 feet, you should be ok?

• Like 1