Upgrading the bathroom Fan

WhatDa

• Moderators

It stays closed. It's actually a bit more difficult to open than the original ventline. Requires two hands, at least now.  

That said, I don't recall a big issue with the ventline. Maybe yours has a weak latching mechanism?

Typically,  we drive the legal speed limit, so I don't think that's the difference...

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Our bath fan routinely opened while we were driving.  Now we use a rolled up microfiber towel (the one we use to wipe things down after a shower) through the handle like Bill does above.  Works well.  I’ve also been looking for an excuse to replace that noisy fan!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I'll also mention that our ventline was 2008, so maybe not the same as those you have.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

No there’s no latching mechanism on our Ventline. Other than the wooden dowel that we are using now. And regarding microfiber towels, I really like the turquoise colored towels from the Mart of Wal. We use them for wiping down the bath and the exterior and interior of the Oliver. They work real well with Duragloss. In fact I’m using one as a window shade now since I’ve installed the tinted clear glass in the entry door.  

• Like 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators

Rvupgrades is out of stock on the dome with the led light, but if I were you, I'd wait for it. It's really nice to have the overhead light, for just a few bucks more. It's a fairly soft light, not too glaring.

You can also check camping world. About $90 there, but very few stores have it in stock.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 9:21 AM, SeaDawg said:

Rvupgrades is out of stock on the dome with the led light, but if I were you, I'd wait for it. It's really nice to have the overhead light, for just a few bucks more. It's a fairly soft light, not too glaring.

You can also check camping world. About $90 there, but very few stores have it in stock.

RVUpgrades has one more of the MaxxFan Domes without the LED in stock right now. I have one on order. 

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/MaxxAir-00-03812W-MaxxFan-Dome-Roof-Vent-p/14-9983.htm

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

• 1 month later...

I changed out my original fan to the Maxx fann because it failed. I found out that the fuse on the ventline was blown and it is not easy to identify or replaced. The maxx fann went in easy enough and it has a replaceable fuse! Overall it seems like a better made unit.

• Thanks 1

David and Jane Droll,  Pulling Hull #238 with a 2018 Toyota Tundra 

• Moderators

Fwiw, if you upgrade, consider the led light version.  It's really nice, for a few dollars more. I love that light ring.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 11/30/2020 at 8:35 AM, SeaDawg said:

We bedded the van with grey butyl tape before Paul fastened the screws. He added some extra at the curve of the hull.

@SeaDawgTell me about this butyl tape that you used to bed the fan. 

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

• Moderators

We use butyl "tape" for bedding windows, hatches, ports, and vents. It's butyl rubber, old school, but pretty much lasts forever, and creates a really strong seal. You can get it at camping world or amazon, in various widths, and grey or black. We only stock grey in the garage fridge. It's easier to work with cold, as it's pretty sticky and stretchy when warm. 

It's not really a "tape", per se, but comes in a roll with one side covered with waxed paper, that you take off after applying and pressing down on the first surface. 

If you decide to use it, make sure you buy real butyl tape, not putty tape, which isn't as good. Butyl is a great sealant,  but not an adhesive, so it's used in combination with mechanical fasteners. 

Camping world sells dicor brand. 

Screenshot_20211029-102038_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211029-102935_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Wanderers said:

Good morning, can anyone who has taken delivery late 2021 confirm that Oliver has not yet upgraded the fan to max air?

A call to your sales rep at Oliver would be the easiest and quickest way to get a definitive answer to this question.

Having said this - perhaps I don't understand your question in that my 2016 has a MaxAir fan and I'm not aware that Oliver has changed this.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Ah - got it.  Perhaps I should have looked at the rest of the thread and I would have known that you were talking about the fan in the bath.  

I'd bet that Oliver is still using the same fan that they have been using for years.

Good luck!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

My guess would be the Maxx air dome, as @kmoon4545's trailer photo shows a white bath fan shroud. Maxxair offers both black and white. Pretty sure ventline is only available in smoke, as I remember from my search last year. I bought the white maxxair dome with the led light to replace our 2008 fan, which gave us over a decade of good service.

I  really wanted a stainless shroud, solar, like we've put on the boat hatches, but none were the right size.

Best to ask your rep, though.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4