"Yes" or "No" to 30amp convenience connection

The optional 30-amp convenience connection on the front of the trailer is the only option I'm undecided on.  I can see where it might come in handy, but is it handy enough to spend $500 more?

We do plan to carry a generator since we do a lot of camping with no power hookups.  Is it really that much more convenient to hook the generator up to this plug than to use the standard street side plug?

I understand sometimes you might be in a position where the power pedestal is on the wrong side of the trailer.  In a back in site, this would be problematic; pull-through not so much.  That being said, I don't believe we have ever been in this situation; or perhaps once, and we were able to run the power cord under the RV.

Those of you who chose this option: do you find it necessary?  Those who passed on this: do you wish you had it?

Also, is it true this option comes with a shorter power cord?  If so, how long is it?  I did a brief online search and the shortest locking power cord I find is 10".

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Susan,

We got the option for convenience when using the generator.  

We opted for the two propane quick connects and run our generator off propane.  

With the two connections in the same place, we can hook up our generator on the camp side to pay closer attention to it. 

As for the 30amp power cord, 25' is standard.

Andrew

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderator+

We have a generator hook up on the front of the camper mounted in the right side front of the propane housing.  It is wired through a transfer switch which is part of the cost. This will accomplish two goals. It will prevent two different sources of power coming into the trailer and it will prevent back flow of electricity into the power grid if you're plugged up also. Why would that ever happen, you ask. It probably would not, but let's say you were in a campground on a hot, muggy night running the air conditioner.  The power goes off and you're told it may be off for a while. You go out and start the generator (forgetting to unplug the trailer) crank the A/C up and go back to bed.  The power company is out busy trying to get power back on. Without the transfer switch, your generator will be happily putting 120 volts AV back into the grid with the potential of electrocuting some poor lineman working on the lines.

The way we have ours set up is such that I can leave the generator plugged into the trailer.  I made up a 36 inch cord that runs between the two. In some cases we have actually run the generator while going down the road. You can have the trailer cool if you want to stop for lunch or the night. These are a few of the benefits of having it. Other than being an extra expense, I can't think of any disadvantages.

Edited by ScubaRx
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Full on Yes. We opted for the convenience connection and as well as the generator basket as we plan to use/run our 78 lb Honda Handi eu3000i generator when boon docking. I think the option is a nice add and it makes sense if you have opted for the generator basket. To answer your question, no this option does not come with a shorter power cable.
I ordered and have a 10’ 30 amp power cable made by a company here in Raleigh, NC. 🇺🇸

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We don't have it, and have never needed it yet. That said we do carry a 25' 30 amp extension cord, and have used it. We just boondocked for 4 days in amongst some really tall trees, ran the cpap, lights, pump, and dvd/tv, inverter and microwave. By 9:30 in the morning the sun had recharged our batteries. 

We have been in camping areas where some really annoying people have run generators all night. We had early on decided not to be one of those people. However, now some of these generators have become very quiet and lightweight. Here in the northern corner of the northeast ac is seldom needed. But there are a few days we would have used it lately. If we lived in a more southern clime we would be onboard and a port side awning too.

Guess it all depends on where and when you will be using your unit. Bet it is more expensive to add after the build...

We also wavered but got it on the Oliver we took delivery of in May. Our second time out the pedestal was on the wrong side of the trailer so it was handy. I can't say I recall that happening before, though.

Doug & Dan

Des Moines, Iowa

(waiting on a ) 2020 LEII

We purchased our 2019 Elite II with four options, convection microwave, extra LP outlets, powered door lock, and a bike rack which we don't use. All being said, our trailer is just perfect for us and all those extra features are just not needed. I will say we don't Boondock so for those of you that do some additional options may be needed. Our 2019 Elite II was less then $55000 dollars, not that we were going for price, but we were going for what we needed for fun camping for us. I will say that when we talk with other Oliver owners, most don't use those extra options, but felt they needed to purchase them just because it was an Oliver and didn't wanted to be left out because it was a Oliver. Folks let me tell you, we are still the hit of the camping ground when we pull in and no one has ever said, you got the cheap model. In fact most that look at our trailer are totally surprised at all the features and niceness of the trailer. I look at a $68000 Oliver as $13000 more then I paid and would never get the value out of the trailer for our camping style. 

trainman

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I haven't used the convenience plug with the generator, I usually have run the generator off the street side.  I have used the convenience plug when the pedestal was at the front, curbside of a spot with nice view at the rear of the spot.  You could also just carry a longer power cord and achieve the same result.  I've rarely run the generator on the trailer though.

Between Olivers…

• Moderator+

The extra port only become really handy if you, like ourselves, transport the generator on the tongue 100% of the time. We travel far and wide and boondock 95% of the time so we do use it sometimes. I like to have every possible contingency covered so a generator is just one more tool that I carry.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg