Standard vs Electronic Door Lock

I'm gradually narrowing down which options to include on our 2021 Elite II.  I looked online at reviews of the RVLock Electronic lock that comes as an option.  It appears to be well made, but I see a lot of comments about the inside of the lock being plastic and feeling flimsy.  I don't know why they made the exterior and inner parts metal and used plastic for the interior panel. 

For those with the electronic lock option, do you think the inside latch flexes and feels as if it could break?

For those with the standard lock: is the inside mechanism metal and thus more sturdy.

The latch on our current RV is all metal and is holding up well.

The convenience of the electronic lock is attractive, but we are attempting to keep our Oliver simple, with minimal electronic components.  I'm fine with only keys, although the light up key pad would be nice sometimes.  I guess a little LED light on the key chain would do the same ☺️

P1500936.JPG

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We didn’t order the electric lock but later decided that one would be convenient. I ordered a RV lock model V4 from rv lock on Black Friday Sale for $129.  Install took only 15-20 minutes. It is plastic and doesn’t feel as hefty as the stock metal manual one that came with our trailer. If the RV electric lock breaks,  we still have the original metal one to re-install. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, carnivore said:

We didn’t order the electric lock but later decided that one would be convenient. I ordered a RV lock model V4 from rv lock on Black Friday Sale for $129.  Install took only 15-20 minutes. It is plastic and doesn’t feel as hefty as the stock metal manual one that came with our trailer. If the RV electric lock breaks,  we still have the original metal one to re-install. 

We ordered the V4 just like carnivore “on sale”. It was a very easy install. Having had two of these locks on our previous RV and really liked the convince of the fob or push button key pad. We never had an issue with the function or durability of the locks. We keep a spare key locked in our TV should we need to manually unlock the the door. The install is clean and it looks and performs as it should.
We kept the original lock as well. 

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

5 hours ago, Patriot said:

We ordered the V4 just like carnivore “on sale”. It was a very easy install. Having had two of these locks on our previous RV and really liked the convince of the fob or push button key pad. We never had an issue with the function or durability of the locks. We keep a spare key locked in our TV should we need to manually unlock the the door. The install is clean and it looks and performs as it should.
We kept the original lock as well. 

So, the standard lock is metal both inside and out?  I like the idea of buying one and trying it, but having the option to go back to the standard latch if desired.  

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

So, the standard lock is metal both inside and out?  I like the idea of buying one and trying it, but having the option to go back to the standard latch if desired.  

Yes the factory lock is metal on both sides. 

• Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

I wish we did, too. One less key to carry. I love my electronic locks at home.

I thought about that last trip. We were getting in the truck when I remembered I'd left my trailer keys on the dining room table. 😧 Paul keeps a spare stashed in the truck, but it requires moving a lot of stuff to get to it. 

I wish someone would create an RV lock that worked off my phone instead of a fob, though.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I wish we did, too. One less key to carry. I love my electronic locks at home.

I thought about that last trip. We were getting in the truck when I remembered I'd left my trailer keys on the dining room table. 😧 Paul keeps a spare stashed in the truck, but it requires moving a lot of stuff to get to it. 

I wish someone would create an RV lock that worked off my phone instead of a fob, though.

Sherry

I'm sure someone does.  However, if you leave your phone behind or the phone battery is dead, you need another way to unlock.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

I'm sure someone does.  However, if you leave your phone behind or the phone battery is dead, you need another way to unlock.

I haven't found one, yet. If you find one, I hope you'll share it. I can open or lock my home or garage from my phone from anywhere, or the keypad in person, which is really nice.

Dead lock battery? That's why there will always be a spare key stashed in the truck. At home, all the batteries won't die at one time. But, with one door to the trailer, it's a definite consideration.  

If we ever get a keyless entry, I'll follow our usual pattern of refreshing all important batteries at the first trip of the year. Use the originals in spare flashlights til they die. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

All my "keys" reside in the TV.  We use the electronic key pad exclusively. Ater 2 years the plastic cover is beginning to crack, However, it is one of the most used options we  included.

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Overland. I went down the rabbit hole of RV locks for some reason this morning. 😁 There sure is a lot of garbage in the RV world. Global Link looks like one of the best out there for what it is worth.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

31 minutes ago, Overland said:

FWIW, it feels pretty solid and I haven't heard anyone complain of one breaking.  I'm sure it could be picked or forced open without much difficulty, though.

For sure! They actually publish high resolution images of their master key 🤣 I think I'm going to just stick with the standard lock and replace it with the Global Link electronic lock should I go crazy with the manual entry.

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

First, we optioned for the electronic door lock and very convenient - a good choice.  Highly recommend.  However, we had one snafu on the first night we camped after purchasing April 2019.  We could not get the electronic pad to unlock and all Oliver keys were inside the Oliver (I know, pretty stupid of us, we had just left Howenwald and were setting up at nearby campsite late Friday afternoon to test our new Oliver).  Wife had to crawl into basement and up through the twin bed to open door (I am too "bulky" to make that trip).  Since then, we have Oliver spare keys placed outside of Oliver so can unlock if ever happens again (and it hasn't).  I am sure we simply did something wrong that first night (operator error) - do not believe it was faulty lock.  Lesson learned, keep spare key in safe place outside of Oliver.  And, the worn/faded/cracked keypad face is easily fixed by Oliver, simply a stick-on face. 

• Wow 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

I had two instances in the first few months where the door was locked with the fob only to later discover it hadn't locked at all. Each time I tested to be sure and while it made to correct lock tone, the dead bolt didn't engage. I suspect this may occur when the batteries get low. Now, I don't trust the thing and always use the key. Will be replacing with the Global Link Security as soon as the keypad goes.

13 minutes ago, bhncb said:

I had two instances in the first few months where the door was locked with the fob only to later discover it hadn't locked at all. Each time I tested to be sure and while it made to correct lock tone, the dead bolt didn't engage. I suspect this may occur when the batteries get low. Now, I don't trust the thing and always use the key. Will be replacing with the Global Link Security as soon as the keypad goes.

It looks like the brand Oliver uses for their keyless lock is from a different company, but Global Link also makes a keyless lock.  One of the features they tout is that their "deadlock" feature is more reliable and uses less battery power.  It isn't a true, separate deadlock though - they just lock the latch in place.  But from your experience, that may still be a more reliable choice.  We have an electronic deadbolt on one door at home, and I can tell you that it eats batteries for breakfast.

Edited by Overland

2 minutes ago, Overland said:

It looks like the brand Oliver uses for their keyless lock is from a different company, but Global Link also makes a keyless lock.  One of the features they tout is that their "deadlock" feature is more reliable and uses less battery power.  It isn't a true, separate deadlock though - they just lock the latch in place.  But from your experience, that may still be a more reliable choice.

Yes. Oliver provides the RVLock brand. It motorizes the deadbolt section but the handle is still free to move the latch bolt. Fool me once....

40 minutes ago, bhncb said:

Yes. Oliver provides the RVLock brand. It motorizes the deadbolt section but the handle is still free to move the latch bolt. Fool me once....

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised Oliver hasn't switched their electronic offer to Global Link since they are already using Global Link as the standard option. It looks mechanically superior is almost every way (again this isn't saying much). Hard to find many reports on it so I'm assuming it is a newer product. My limited research shows it has been out for about a year.

Edited by Jairon

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 11:21 AM, KWRJRPE said:

Wife had to crawl into basement and up through the twin bed to open door (I am too "bulky" to make that trip).

I couldn't even imagine this being possible!

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

On 6/25/2020 at 10:51 PM, carnivore said:

Came to this post with the same questions as the OP. I think this solution makes the most sense... as well as a cost saving option. Black Friday is right around the corner too!

Where did you purchase for Black Friday?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package