Ordered a Legacy Elite I for P/U mid September

QuestionMark

Wife and I ordered our new home-away-from-home (Legacy Elite I) last month and are scheduled to pick it up mid September.   We have read almost all the posts on the forum and are members of the FaceBook group.   We have learned a lot and are looking forward to learning more from the many active members of this forum group.   Although we are not new to the RV world, it has been ~20 years since we owned our last trailer (23' Prowler) and we had our two kids with us.  We enjoyed every trip and the kids still talk about the good times they had when traveling with us in the trailer (Dedicated Mom and Dad Time).   

We are empty nesters now and have spent the past few years cruising the world on Cruise ships.  Enjoyed every trip but ,post COVID-19, this type of travel is not looking to be in our future.    

As both of us are avid outdoors people and have spent many nights camping, we are truly looking forward getting out and exploring the US and Canada.  

I have gathered everything I think we will need to start off with but have a question hopefully someone here can answer:

We will be towing the trailer with a 2018 F150 5.0 4x4 in stock configuration and would like to know the hitch height when the trailer is level as this would allow me to secure the needed hitch prior to pickup date. We are not getting the Anderson Hitch installed with the trailer.   I currently utilize a 4in drop for my lowboy trailer with a top of the ball height of 19.5 in.   Does anyone have the measurements needed for the smaller Legacy I?   

Thanks,

Mark

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA

Hi Mark,

My wife and I have an Elite I,  bought it in March 2020.   Haven’t used it yet, waiting for the green light.  I did tow it several hundred miles to get it to my home, it towed very easily, and level.   Stock Bulldog hitch, no Andersen option.  I did not measure the tongue weight, because I have not loaded it up yet with supplies.  I think I have the same truck you do, 2019 model  model, stock wheels  and tires, tow package, stock electric brake controller.  I used a Reese Towpower S/S draw bar with 2” drop that kept it very level, both truck and trailer empty.   Sag was not even noticeable.  I’ll  put the Reeses drawbar in the receiver and measure from ground to top of ball with the truck bed empty.  I’ll let you know, this should get you in the ballpark.  I also have a new adjustable Weighsafe drawbar that I have not used yet, I plan to use that one from now on.   Once I get the truck and trailer loaded, I’ll give you a much better answer. 

Mike

Sent from my iPad

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

Mike,

Thanks for the quick response and feedback on how your initial experience was hauling the Legacy Elite I trailer with a F150.   Looking forward to see what your measurement was for a level trailer when towing.   Hopefully, you and the wife will be able to get the tailer out for a trial soon so we can hear how much you enjoy the trailer.

Mark

Located SE Texas Region

Mark,

I loaded it up and measured with truck bed empty but full tank of gas.  Trailer was empty.    I measured 22.5” from ground to top of ball.  It looked level but I did not have my level with me to confirm.   There are several threads on this, you might start at link below.   This has a reference to Oliver spec being 22.5”.  When I get a chance to get it all loaded up and trip ready, I’ll repeat the process. 

Hokieman

Hi Mark,

Here is a pic I posted some time back of out Elite1. Oliver has since changed the hitch design (no more telescoping hitch) but I would think that would not affect the measurement. Our trailer is as level as I could make it for the pic. Don't forget to allow for the rear end of your TV to drop a bit when you do your calculating. Tongue weight on the E1 is around 450 lbs +/-.

Good luck and congrats on your new Elite1, we love ours.

Dave

9k2rg33ltkc65xm9d3futa2jsozvs3qs.jpg.f28d6f8726887e236ee0463ac0b716c9.jpg

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

Thanks to both Dave and Mike for the excellent information and helping  a soon-to-be Oliver owner out.   Your willingness to take the time to provide this much needed information is priceless and is another testament of the value of becoming a part of the Ollie family.  

Counting the days down until go pick up the trailer 😁.   

Thanks,

Mark 

Located SE Texas Region

• 1 month later...

Mark,

My earlier measurement was too high.  My wife and I finally got the camper on the road for a few days of camping.    I checked the measurement again with a fully loaded truck and trailer.   Trailer had empty tanks but truck had full tank of gas, all level.   It was right around 20”, just like Dave’s photo.   Hope this helps!  Love that camper!

Mike