2021 F150

Overland

I’m sure people will want to discuss the towing prospects of the new hybrid 3.5 turbo.  Interesting inclusion of a 2400 watt (up to 7200 watt 😳) inverter. And a 2000 watt inverter option on the other engines.  I think that will definitely negate the need for a generator for many folks. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2

I like the lay flat seats inside. I always thought the idea of having a tent on the back of a crew cab so two people can sleep was redundant.  I’ll be interested to know what the payloads on well equipped hybrids are, and what their range is when actually towing. 

• Like 1

Between Olivers…

• Moderators

There's a lot to like about this truck, from first glance. I hope the climate control system runs off that big battery, allowing rest breaks with the fold down seats to be emissions- free and quiet.

I'm looking forward to seeing more details as they emerge. 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I missed that. And, it's disappointing. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I would hesitate to purchase the first year release . . . . and way too much tech for my taste.  Unfortunately, as automotive designs progress, this is only going to increase.  Has Ford redesigned the crew cab rear seat so it folds flat as does the Dodge?  That would be useful.  

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

In the current gen, Ford seats fold up for access to a fully flat floor, which is pretty useful.  

I agree about buying anything first year - always a bit more risk.  But if you want a truck with no tech, you might have to stick with your '13.  

iu.thumb.jpeg.495913a97cd1cf7ad0e72bf89cf7cde1.jpeg

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:41 AM, Susan Huff said:

I would hesitate to purchase the first year release . . . . and way too much tech for my taste.  Unfortunately, as automotive designs progress, this is only going to increase.  Has Ford redesigned the crew cab rear seat so it folds flat as does the Dodge?  That would be useful.  

I wouldn't be too concerned regarding a first year release. Not that Ford is infallible by any means but most of what comes with this truck are tried and true technologies they have been implemented in these trucks for years. As for the hybrid aspect, Ford also has lots of experience with some of their cars so porting over to a truck shouldn't be all that problematic I would think. Inverters have been around for a long time so again most of these devices are fairly reliable by now. I do understand why some might think this is just too much tech however, though it doesn't bother me. 

As Overland illustrates the rear F150 seats fold up nicely and out of the way… mostly. I use them in this manner more often than not on my 2013 F150.

All that said if I ever bellied up to the bar for a new 2021 I would not include the inverter. With solar and lots of batteries on the Oliver I just don't see the need for it. These inverters are better suited IMHO for guys who are in the building trades or similar rather than RV'ing.

• Thanks 1

Legacy Elite II #70

4 hours ago, routlaw said:

I wouldn't be too concerned regarding a first year release. Not that Ford is infallible by any means but most of what comes with this truck are tried and true technologies they have been implemented in these trucks for years. As for the hybrid aspect, Ford also has lots of experience with some of their cars so porting over to a truck shouldn't be all that problematic I would think. Inverters have been around for a long time so again most of these devices are fairly reliable by now. I do understand why some might think this is just too much tech however, though it doesn't bother me. 

As Overland illustrates the rear F150 seats fold up nicely and out of the way… mostly. I use them in this manner more often than not on my 2013 F150.

All that said if I ever bellied up to the bar for a new 2021 I would not include the inverter. With solar and lots of batteries on the Oliver I just don't see the need for it. These inverters are better suited IMHO for guys who are in the building trades or similar rather than RV'ing.

By tech, I am referring to all the cab "Gizmos" as well as all the computer engine controls . . . . . I understand that I am part of the generation that was raised without these conveniences and the majority of the target market was, thus the reason for them.  I only wish there was a choice . . . . . I would rather not pay for features I can live without.

As for the rear seat: do the seat backs fold forward, forming a flat platform for cargo?  In our 2013 F350, the rear seats (split) raise up to reveal under the seat storage compartments, but I don't think the seat backs fold forward to make a flat platform - I know some newer Dodges have this feature.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

By tech, I am referring to all the cab "Gizmos" as well as all the computer engine controls . . . . . I understand that I am part of the generation that was raised without these conveniences and the majority of the target market was, thus the reason for them.  I only wish there was a choice . . . . . I would rather not pay for features I can live without.

Many of us are from the same generation,  or older. 🙂

I personally like the tech, and was seriously disappointed when I drove another brand last year. Especially when it comes to safety tech that will someday (soon)  be mandated.

My daily driver Silverado truck is 15 years old, and still runs and looks great, so I  understand your concern. But, it rarely goes out of the county, or over 45 mph.

When  I  finally give it up my stepside,  it will be for a safer product. With much more tech.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

On 7/1/2020 at 9:59 AM, Overland said:

In the current gen, Ford seats fold up for access to a fully flat floor, which is pretty useful.  

I agree about buying anything first year - always a bit more risk.  But if you want a truck with no tech, you might have to stick with your '13.  

iu.thumb.jpeg.495913a97cd1cf7ad0e72bf89cf7cde1.jpeg

I wish our seats did this.

My husband mentioned, just the other day, that he wished "his" pickup had navigation.  Our van MH and my SUV do.  Will have to do something if we keep the tech-free Ford.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

My husband mentioned, just the other day, that he wished "his" pickup had navigation.  Our van MH and my SUV do.  Will have to do something if we keep the tech-free Ford.

I picked up my new 2020 Rebel just before Christmas.  Used the factory Nav on the way home.  It was out of date and had to switch to my iPhone.  I asked the dealer about it and he said there would be an update sometime this year. ???  My view is that factory nav is not worth what they charge for it.  On my IPhone I use Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze.  They are always up to date.  With CarPlay I can put them on my 12” display.  I also carry a Garmin that I keep up to date.  Even the Garmin stuck to my windshield is better than the factory Nav.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

As for the rear seat: do the seat backs fold forward, forming a flat platform for cargo?  In our 2013 F350, the rear seats (split) raise up to reveal under the seat storage compartments, but I don't think the seat backs fold forward to make a flat platform - I know some newer Dodges have this feature.

Understood, likewise I'm also old enough to have lived without the features and technology but being the odd ball that I am I love these sort of things for now. 

You have it correct regarding the back seats to the best of my knowledge all Ford trucks seat bottoms flip up and out of the way, the backs do not move at all. I'm fine with this arrangement however. 

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

....My view is that factory nav is not worth what they charge for it.  On my IPhone I use Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze.  They are always up to date.  With CarPlay I can put them on my 12” display.  I also carry a Garmin that I keep up to date.  Even the Garmin stuck to my windshield is better than the factory Nav.  Mike

Totally agree, Mike. My phone fails me occasionally,  but not as often as factory nav in relatively rental cars. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Many of us are from the same generation,  or older. 🙂

I personally like the tech,

As an older person on social security I agree with Sherry, the tech is good (mostly).  I get a little aggravated with the rain sensing wipers and the adaptive cruise control sometimes, but generally the tech is a plus.  The sensors, cameras, displays and ability to control it all is good.  My 1971 International Harvester Pickup did have a killer AM radio back in the day, but that was about it.  The 12” touchscreen display in my new Ram is excellent along with the ability to control a bunch of vehicle functions.  I like it too.  Mike

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

33 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

I picked up my new 2020 Rebel just before Christmas.  Used the factory Nav on the way home.  It was out of date and had to switch to my iPhone.  I asked the dealer about it and he said there would be an update sometime this year. ???  My view is that factory nav is not worth what they charge for it.  On my IPhone I use Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze.  They are always up to date.  With CarPlay I can put them on my 12” display.  I also carry a Garmin that I keep up to date.  Even the Garmin stuck to my windshield is better than the factory Nav.  Mike

The factory nav in our BMW X5 is awesome . . . . . . it uses Google Maps so I can map trips on my computer and send them to my car or my phone.  The system in the MB Sprinter MH has not so great map functions, but it is good when you get near your destination.

Ray and Susan Huff

30 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

As an older person on social security I agree with Sherry, the tech is good (mostly).  I get a little aggravated with the rain sensing wipers and the adaptive cruise control sometimes, but generally the tech is a plus.  The sensors, cameras, displays and ability to control it all is good.  My 1971 International Harvester Pickup did have a killer AM radio back in the day, but that was about it.  The 12” touchscreen display in my new Ram is excellent along with the ability to control a bunch of vehicle functions.  I like it too.  Mike

True . . . . .  I don't realize how much I rely on my car tech, especially cameras and blind spot detection, until I drive our pickup (which is only 2 years older).  Can hardly figure out how to start it!

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

The factory nav in our BMW X5 is awesome . . . . . . it uses Google Maps so I can map trips on my computer and send them to my car or my phone.  The system in the MB Sprinter MH has not so great map functions, but it is good when you get near your destination.

That’s interesting.  So BMW uses Google Maps as their factory nav.  My Audi S3 has factory nav too, but it is not Google or Apple.  I like Google Maps, it finds locations that Apple can’t find.  Waze is also a Google product, so it also is able to find remote camping locations that Apple Maps can’t.  Good for BMW to realize it’s best to go with an up-to-date all-the-time app like Google Maps.

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

That’s interesting.  So BMW uses Google Maps as their factory nav.  My Audi S3 has factory nav too, but it is not Google or Apple.  I like Google Maps, it finds locations that Apple can’t find.  Waze is also a Google product, so it also is able to find remote camping locations that Apple Maps can’t.  Good for BMW to realize it’s best to go with an up-to-date all-the-time app like Google Maps.

Yes . . . . . just like in Google Maps you can choose the regular map view or Satellite view . . . . . What we like about it, compared to the nav in the MB motor home (the only other vehicle nav sys we have used),  is that the BMW zoom view has much more detail.  When you zoom in on the MB nav (Becker) you lose the detail.  The best feature, though is being able to build a trip in google maps on your computer and send it to the car, or any other paired device.

I don't know if BMW is still using this interface; ours is a 2015.  We upgraded the stereo to Harman Kardon, but I don't know that this makes a difference.  I think it is just better surround speakers.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

No matter who you are, this is funny!  We have a 2019 GMC Sierra Duramax and love it!  Tows Oliver like a dream.  I realize there are other really good TV options.  I am not a GMC salesperson, so to each his own.  Nothing against Ford, but a funny poke is always appreciated.     

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

4 hours ago, Mainiac said:

A friend, who has a GMC, said that it was a good thing that Ford was coming out with a fold down seat. It would give the driver a place to take a nap, while waiting for the tow truck?

And there's the old saying: Ford - Fix or repair daily. That being said, our 2013 F350 Super Duty 4x4 has been trouble free.  But I still would like to have the fold down rear seats. 😃

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

And there's the old saying: Ford - Fix or repair daily. That being said, our 2013 F350 Super Duty 4x4 has been trouble free.  But I still would like to have the fold down rear seats. 😃

We like the fold UP rear seats in the Ram and that we can do it as a split.. But we love the storage under the seat base and the tool/storage boxes on either side.  Raincoats, jumper cables, tow straps for those trucks with built in hooks on front, and some tools. Somethings just can't be left in the camper...

• Thanks 1