2021 F150

Overland

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

And there's the old saying: Ford - Fix or repair daily. That being said, our 2013 F350 Super Duty 4x4 has been trouble free.  But I still would like to have the fold down rear seats. 😃

What do you like about fold down seats vs fold up?

2 hours ago, Overland said:

What do you like about fold down seats vs fold up?

A flat, uniform space for cargo.  One of our family has a new Dodge PU and the rear seat folds and stows in the floor.  I've not taken a close look at it to see how it works.  I just know that, although we have passengers in the rear, more often than not, we don't.  Not such a big deal for me at home because I have my own cargo carrying SUV.  But when the PU becomes a TV I just think the flat area in back would be more efficient for cargo.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

2 hours ago, Mainiac said:

We like the fold UP rear seats in the Ram and that we can do it as a split.. But we love the storage under the seat base and the tool/storage boxes on either side.  Raincoats, jumper cables, tow straps for those trucks with built in hooks on front, and some tools. Somethings just can't be left in the camper...

By tool/storage boxes are you referring to the new style that are built into the sides of the bed?

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

By tool/storage boxes are you referring to the new style that are built into the sides of the bed?

I’m sure he is referring to Ramboxes that are on either side of the bed.  I like mine, I stow tools, tie downs, lubricants, etc there that I used to carry in tool boxes in the bed.  Problem was that they were always under camping stuff that needed to be moved.  The back seats in my Ram fold up leaving a large flat storage area.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

A flat, uniform space for cargo.  One of our family has a new Dodge PU and the rear seat folds and stows in the floor.  I've not taken a close look at it to see how it works.  I just know that, although we have passengers in the rear, more often than not, we don't.  Not such a big deal for me at home because I have my own cargo carrying SUV.  But when the PU becomes a TV I just think the flat area in back would be more efficient for cargo.

That's interesting.  I haven't seen that in the Ram pickups. My sister in law and my niece have the stow and go that fold flat into the floor in their minivans. 

Our 2008 ram has flip up rear seats, and a fold down platform to make the remaining space totally flat. And, it's a 60/40 split, so the dog can have her spot, and cargo can have the rest. Works for us, though I  think the stowaway and go seats in my sil's van are more comfortable than our 2008 rear seats. 

But, our dog has never complained. 😁

20200209_111545.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

In my 2016 Ram 1500 the back seats folded up and then a platform folded forward to make a flat surface.  There was some room under the platform to store small items.  The new Ram 1500 model the back seat still folds up but there is no platform to fold forward.  Once the seats are up you have a flat floor.  No hump in the middle, just a nice flat floor.  The seats are split 1/3 and 2/3, so you can fold up one or the other, or both.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

So, Susan Huff, you have me intrigued. I haven't  (yet) found any info on true stow and go seats (that fold into the floor) in any Ram. I did find a photo of flat fold rear seats in a 2500 mega cab only, on a Ram forum. Is this what your relative's seats look like, or do they actually collapse into the floor like the Dodge van and Pacifica stow and go seats?

The true stow and go is a neat feature in my sister-in-law's van, as the back becomes a real storage cave.

Sherry

First photo is of the flat fold mega cab 2500 ram

Second is a stow and go dodge van

Screenshot_20200703-191027_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-191850_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

No. There are bins in the floor on each side, plus areas under the table that cover the hump. There is also quite a bit of storage back under where the seats were. Might depend on the model and how equiped?

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

So, Susan Huff, you have me intrigued. I haven't  (yet) found any info on true stow and go seats (that fold into the floor) in any Ram. I did find a photo of flat fold rear seats in a 2500 mega cab only, on a Ram forum. Is this what your relative's seats look like, or do they actually collapse into the floor like the Dodge van and Pacifica stow and go seats?

The true stow and go is a neat feature in my sister-in-law's van, as the back becomes a real storage cave.

Sherry

First photo is of the flat fold mega cab 2500 ram

Second is a stow and go dodge van

Screenshot_20200703-191027_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-191850_Chrome.jpg

The next time I see them I will get a picture.  I've only seen it deployed a couple of times.  I do believe it was like the Mega Cab pictured above.  I do know their pickup is a 2500.

My mom had the Dodge Caravan with stow and go seats like above.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

That’s nice in that it gives a bit more width, though the floor is higher.  But it wouldn’t work for me regardless since I have both my fridge mount and 2nd battery on the floor under the seats. I could of course put them on top of the folded seats when traveling but then both would be unsecured which wouldn’t be great in an accident. As it is, they can both be bolted through the floor. Not to mention that with the seats down both are completely hidden.  With the GMC I’d end up having to get a topper and putting both in the bed.  

Edited by Overland

• 4 months later...

Here's a pretty neat test of the biggest generator you can buy for the Ollie.  I'd like to see a Db comparison between the F150 and a small Honda generator - I bet it's quieter (by a lot).  Fuel efficiency looks to be roughly a gallon per hour at full load, which the truck was able to do at idle (3.5 hours charging used a bit less than 3 gallons, less what fuel they used driving to the gas station and back).  I'd like to see a test at a more reasonable load, say 1.5kW, to see how often the truck would cycle on.  A Honda 2200 around gets about 3 hours per gallon, so a third the fuel consumption, but of course less than a third the power.  If the truck only ran for a third of the time to power a 1.5kW load, then it would be no less efficient than a small generator, which would be amazing.

GM and Ram will surely pick up on this in their next generation of trucks.  I think I'm going out on a very short limb to say that separate generators are a thing of the past.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Overland said:

Here's a pretty neat test of the biggest generator you can buy for the Ollie.  I'd like to see a Db comparison between the F150 and a small Honda generator - I bet it's quieter (by a lot).  Fuel efficiency looks to be roughly a gallon per hour at full load, which the truck was able to do at idle (3.5 hours charging used a bit less than 3 gallons, less what fuel they used driving to the gas station and back).  I'd like to see a test at a more reasonable load, say 1.5kW, to see how often the truck would cycle on.  A Honda 2200 around gets about 3 hours per gallon, so a third the fuel consumption, but of course less than a third the power.  If the truck only ran for a third of the time to power a 1.5kW load, then it would be no less efficient than a small generator, which would be amazing.

GM and Ram will surely pick up on this in their next generation of trucks.  I think I'm going out on a very short limb to say that separate generators are a thing of the past.

It appears to be a big game changer. Should be able to run the Ollie Ac plus. Wondering what this option costs vs a portable generator. It might also give solar option a run for the money. Nice system 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

On 7/3/2020 at 10:59 AM, Ray and Susan Huff said:

And there's the old saying: Ford - Fix or repair daily. That being said, our 2013 F350 Super Duty 4x4 has been trouble free.  But I still would like to have the fold down rear seats. 😃

As technology has improved, and multiplied across the platforms, quality - both build and component, has improved greatly.  It has been an interesting journey - what was once the Big 3 US auto manufacturers - is now a very broad based industry - of many foreign held auto manufacturers, building vehicles from coast to coast, border to border, all using components from similar suppliers, a good many built in the same plant, by the same folks.  

Product differentiation - esp. in the interior design, powertrains , and tech offerings are really moving forward. If I had a worry - its the ability of the dealer network to keep up with the technology  and tech's needed to diagnose and repair in the field. A hybrid - like the Ford - has a good many more systems - having to communicate across the vehicle buss,  -  than does  - say a pure electric  Tesla. 

If i wanted a simple truck, I'd need to go back a looooong way. Luckily, my current TV has been issue free - 

My first thought after reviewing the Ford was - wow that's cool - but that's a lot of stuff - complicated stuff. Seems for the $$$, a simple generator would be easier. 

I'll give it few years - not a Luddite, just cheap....

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I am firmly in BoB’s camp. The new tech is jaw dropping but I always have to think, what about an out of warranty failure? What cost, and how long to get parts? Is the inverter repairable or do you toss it? And I still have a hard time accepting the concept of idling your truck for hours in a campground, but I can certainly see how tempting that would be for running the AC. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Here's another interesting test:

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The new Raptor has been officially announced - https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150-raptor

The good news for V8 fans is that next year they'll have one as an option.  I'm not in that camp, so it's all disappointment for me as they apparently won't have a hybrid option.  Boo.

The suspension looks pretty sweet, though, and 37" tires!  Plus other modern goodies.  I think it looks a little less edgy than the last version, which is unfortunate but expected, since they kind of rounded off the regular F150.  

Interesting - As the other guys have entered this segment - the offerings have a little for everyone. I must admit - after looking at a new Ram (I can't get past Dodge - ) the options, fit and finish - are just so far improved from trucks of just a few years ago. Competition is great for the customers. 

I do get a kick out of seeing folks (younger dudes)  in my area - driving a new $90 K Raptor - or clone - knowing the only off road  they usually see is the dirt road to the lake. 😄

Were I in the Southwest - My GMC 2500 would be looking sad - as I replaced it with a more nimble desert/rock sled......

FORD: No need for a hybrid - we got 800 ponies under the hood........ Just kills me - the engines we have today are amazing. 

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Man oh man there sure are some cool  pickup trucks out there.. As a very long time Tundra owner, and a very happy one at that, it does make me wonder when Toyota is going to at least make it look like they are trying to be innovative in their Truck design.... I’ve read a bit about some changes coming in 2022 but it sure seems like they are lagging behind. 
I suspect we will be shopping for a new TV in the next couple of years.. can’t wait... looks like it’ll be a lot of fun with lots to think about. 
our Tundras have been incredibly reliable work trucks, but maybe it’s time to move on.. 

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• Moderators

Perhaps another reason why the F150 has been and is the best selling truck.  I've had two of these now and both were/are very nice.  If I had the need and garage room I'd give serious consideration to a 3/4 ton though.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

8 hours ago, Neuman's said:

Just picked up a 2021 F150.  Max tow, FX4, 3.5 & short bed.  Initial impression is very good.  Fit and finish is excellent, cab is extremely quiet and comfortable.  Will put it through it's paces in April on the return trip from Holenwald.  

Sounds a lot like my 2021 F150 I got in December.   Competition among truck builders is great for buyers.    The RAM is very nice but I gain payload with F150 in similarly equipped trucks.  What are you picking up ? Elite or Elite II?

The TRX and Raptor are awesome trucks. I’ll never own one as it would be a shame to own one and never actually really take off road but I appreciate all the engineering that goes into them. 

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

42 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Perhaps another reason why the F150 has been and is the best selling truck.  I've had two of these now and both were/are very nice.  If I had the need and garage room I'd give serious consideration to a 3/4 ton though.

Bill

I was really tempted by F250 but I didn’t need it and it won’t fit in my garage.  I can just get my F150 to fit.   

Maybe down the road when I spend weeks at a time out I might consider 3/4.   

• Like 1

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

• Moderators
19 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Unfortunately it looks like there are "ISSUES" out there in Ford truck land.

Bill

A lack of semiconductors worldwide is affecting a wide swath of producers in many industries.  Current lead times for parts can be as much as a year, bringing assembly lines to a halt.  This is partially due to Covid's disruption of the workforce, combined with shortages of critical elements.  We can expect a bumpy road in manufacturing for a while yet.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/nissan-latest-suspend-production-due-semi-shortage

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

It turns out that even though the new raptor won’t have a hybrid option, you’ll can still get the built in generator - in fact it will be standard.  I guess I forgot it was an option for non-hybrid regular F150’s. Also they've upped the payload and towing by 200 lbs each.  Not a big difference but every pound helps.

Makes it tempting to upgrade.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1
  • Love 1