Question for Georgia residents

Jps190

So in my research it appears that travel trailerS still get the annual ad valorem tax in Georgia.  Any Georgia folks that can give me and idea on how they have valued your Oliver over time?  If Ga is going to tax me $1500 a year I might have to consider registering it and the tow vehicle elsewhere.

thanks

John

John and Kim

2021 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Duramax 11350 GVWR  3048lb Payload

2021 Oliver Elite II.   Hull #887

I will let you know after I get mine home after July.  I am not thinking it will be that much.  Is Montana the state people use for registering exotic cars?  I guess I may have to do a little research too.  Maybe some Montana residents can chime in.  I always assumed you had to register where you lived or had property.  I do have a house in NC, what is the tax basis there for Ollie owners?  

Edited by gatorewc

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

27 minutes ago, gatorewc said:

I will let you know after I get mine home after July.  I am not thinking it will be that much.  Is Montana the state people use for registering exotic cars?  I guess I may have to do a little research too.  Maybe some Montana residents can chime in.  I always assumed you had to register where you lived or had property.  I do have a house in NC, what is the tax basis there for Ollie owners?  

I think you probably have to register in the state where you have a driver's license.  You need to move to Oregon!! . . . . .  well, on second thought . . . . . not the best choice right now 😷

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Montana and South Dakota are 2 of the popular places.  Check out America’s mailbox” in South Dakota.  For a small fee they will do everything for you.  In Montana there are attorneys that will set up an LLC and get you and address for it.  You can get a driver’s license in both states pretty easily. There is some question as to the legality of theses options.

Edited by Jps190
  • Like 1

John and Kim

3 minutes ago, Jps190 said:

Montana and South Dakota are 2 of the popular places.  Check out America’s mailbox” in South Dakota.  For a small fee they will do everything for you.  In Montana there are attorneys that will set up an LLC and get you and address for it.  You can get a driver’s license in both states pretty easily.

And there is always Greater Idaho https://kpic.com/news/local/move-oregons-border-plans-march-rally-in-roseburg-on-douglas-county-joining-idaho

Ray and Susan Huff

I have a 2019 Elite II, my 2020 ad val. for coweta county in Georgia was $723.00, where they get you is when you initially register your Oliver to get your tag, you have to pay Georgia sales tax. My came to the tune of $4200.00 to get my tag.

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Delivery Date Aug 29, 2019

Ford F150 XL Supercab - 3.5 EcoBoost

ALAZARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKPASCSDTNTXVAWVWYmed.jpg

58 minutes ago, Collier and Joan said:

have to pay Georgia sales tax. My came to the tune of $4200.00 to get my tag.

I had to pay a similar amount of sales tax in Utah when I registered my Ollie at the DMV. 

I just looked at the State Lines app, which gives info on each state for liquor laws, overnights in rest areas, fuel taxes, sales taxes, highway laws, and more.  The Georgia sales tax averages about 7.29%,  but the Tennessee sales tax averages about 9.46%, so be glad you did not have to pay Tennessee sales tax!

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

have to pay Georgia sales tax. My came to the tune of $4200.00 to get my tag.

I had to pay a similar amount of sales tax in Utah when I registered my Ollie at the DMV

We are in Fulton County GA about a mile from Coweta County, so I guess my price for my Ollie just got bumped up a bit.  Oh well, the price we pay!

In my mind I figured that was going to be the case, but with taxes you just accept the fact and move on.  We may not like it, but we are blessed to be able to buy an Ollie!  Thanks for the comments guys and gals.

• Like 4

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

20 hours ago, Collier and Joan said:

I have a 2019 Elite II, my 2020 ad val. for coweta county in Georgia was $723.00, where they get you is when you initially register your Oliver to get your tag, you have to pay Georgia sales tax. My came to the tune of $4200.00 to get my tag.

Thanks for the info.  We are still about 2 years out before we purchase (one kid left :)....  That is a lot less than I expected it to be.  Apparently not having a "motor" is a big deal to the taxman.

John and Kim

My wife and I spent our summers in MT for 18 years.  I kept my RV’s, boats, an ATV and its trailer there most, if not all, of the year in a rented storage facility, and had them all titled there, although I am a legal resident of another state.  I didn’t need a driver’s license or an LLC to get my MT titles and licenses, and on one or more occasion when I went to the county courthouse to get a license for one of these newly purchased items and told them my driver’s license was from another state they didn’t even want to see my driver’s license.   MT does not have any sales tax, you don’t have to buy it in MT, only title it there to avoid the tax, and they also offer a modestly priced lifetime license on those items if you choose to get one.  I’ve also bought a couple trucks in MT, kept and used them there for several months or more, and after returning with them to my home state transferred the title there, and avoided paying sales tax which only applied to purchases made within 6 months previous.   

I do not own an Oliver, but I’m contemplating doing so.  If I do buy one, I’d probably title it in MT.  The difference from many others is that I’d probably also keep it in MT much of the time.  I don’t think I’d want to park it in my home driveway for an extended period of time with MT plates on it.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:26 PM, DavidS said:

the Tennessee sales tax averages about 9.46% .....

I was looking through some older posts and just saw this. To be clear, that is correct for items less than $1600. Technically, the TN state tax is 7% for any purchase. If the item Is over $1600, local and additional taxes are capped at $80.

So generally, residents just pay 7% on cars, boats, airplanes and RVs!

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

On 6/28/2020 at 6:26 PM, DavidS said:

I had to pay a similar amount of sales tax in Utah when I registered my Ollie at the DMV. 

I just looked at the State Lines app, which gives info on each state for liquor laws, overnights in rest areas, fuel taxes, sales taxes, highway laws, and more.  The Georgia sales tax averages about 7.29%,  but the Tennessee sales tax averages about 9.46%, so be glad you did not have to pay Tennessee sales tax!

Oregon is 0% . . . . . but other things in Oregon aren't that great right now ☹️

Ray and Susan Huff