Truma vent to screen or not to screen?

I have just completed installing SS screening to the frig vent (pic) and installed the screen for the furnace vent to keep wasps, mud dobbers and other home seeking critters out. Also installed the AC Cover to keep birds from nesting. 
My question for Truma owners that have done this install is did you use the same size mesh for the Truma as you did for the frig? (See mesh size pic I used for frig). If not what size screen did you use? I want to be sure I do not restrict air flow to the Truma system.

I may just call Truma and ask if this is even recommended? I solicit thoughts of others that may have already called Truma and asked this question or completed this mod. I will try and contact Truma today and see if this will impact airflow and VOID the factory warranty before moving forward.

Thank you,

-David

75090D1B-4D33-4419-BFF5-E21032F8CCE6.jpeg

28228160-6663-4F68-8850-90692F9778BD.jpeg

5AAE55CA-E91A-4F91-9EC3-D2CA1E084C5F.png

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

I don’t know the answer, but I do know that Truma makes a plug for that vent to use when not in use. One comes with the electric antifreeze kit and so you may be able to get one separately if you call them.

The plug has a tether and a slot to store it when not in use, and also there’s a visible tab that sticks out of the vent when installed, to remind you to remove it before turning on the hot water. 

Edited by Overland

42 minutes ago, Overland said:

I don’t know the answer, but I do know that Truma makes a plug for that vent to use when not in use. One comes with the electric antifreeze kit and so you may be able to get one separately if you call them.

The plug has a tether and a slot to store it when not in use, and also there’s a visible tab that sticks out of the vent when installed, to remind you to remove it before turning on the hot water. 

Yes, thanks! We did get the electric antifreeze kit. I will check with Truma on the vent plug.

I sent an email to Jason Essary asking if adding a screen will void the Truma warranty. I will post up his reply.

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

I read this in the 2020 manual, so it appears screening is a no go on the Truma unless I hear otherwise from service.

0E2E8605-4F87-4712-877C-192BC5F27862.png

Edited by Patriot

IMG_2879.jpeg

In your shoes I would choose a much bigger mesh size and epoxy it behind the slots. I don’t see how a 10 mm mesh could possibly obstruct airflow. It would certainly keep out larger insects, like those pesky Murder Hornets.

Add a strong magnet on the inside at each corner and along the edges and make a solid “storage cover” from Sunbrella or a vinyl fabric, with matching magnets (observe polarity!) to slip onto the outside when the heater is dormant. I don’t think you should travel with it installed, so a bright color would be good so you will remember to remove it. I have some like these, I actually use them to hold an old cotton sheet over a gun safe, they are super strong for their size, you have to watch your fingers when getting them close together.... https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Refrigerator-Magnets-Premium-Brushed/dp/B07B3SDRCP/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Neodymium%2BDisc%2BMagnets&qid=1593276158&sr=8-9&th=1 .... depending on the thickness of the Truma access door you might need bigger ones. It could involve some trial and error.

Let us know how it works out so I can make some for the fridge grills for dusty roads. I get dust infiltration all the way into the cabin, along the lower sill of the fridge door. ;(

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I decided not to add screen to my Truma vent. It was not gonna be as easy and clean as the fridge, so it was not done. 

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

6 hours ago, Patriot said:

Yes, thanks! We did get the electric antifreeze kit. I will check with Truma on the vent plug.

If the kit is installed, the yellow flue plug and metal storage bracket should be on the access door like this.

7738D4D7-A7B1-447B-88D8-CEA8D0A44FB9.jpeg