Lakehead Boat Basin RV Park Duluth

Townesw

I haven’t stayed there in an RV, but used to spend a bunch of time at the property +30 years ago when I was a student at the University of Mn-Duluth.  I got to know enough of the guys with sailboats in the marina that I’d be part of race crews, help deliver boats around Lake Superior, and help with boat maintenance.  I’ve walked by it several times in the last few years and it looks like they’ve added a hotel and cleaned up most of the boatyard junk.

The location is great, but don’t expect much for on site beauty.  The view in the distance of the working harbor and Duluth hills will be nice, but the immediate view will be of an asphalt parking lot and chain link fence. It’s just a parking lot for secure winter boat storage repurposed for summer RV’s.  From memory, it’s not far off from a Walmart parking lot, but with hookups.    It’s going to be awning to awning tight.  People and cars will be coming and going at all hours as they access their boats. 

The good news is that it’s at a great location on Park Point and walking distance to the Park Point beach, Canal park, the Lake walk, at least three breweries, one distillery, a whole bunch of restaurants, and down town Duluth.  My wife and I met at the University.  We still go up to visit almost annually.  My parents honeymooned in Duluth. 

If you’re going to visit Duluth and need a central spot to park before heading out on the town, it’s a GREAT location.  If you’re looking to just hang out at the marina campground, there are other choices in all directions from Duluth that I’d rather spend time. 

HTH, Ken

• Thanks 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

KenB

Thanks for the information. We camped next to a retired naval architect at Walker, MN. I talked to him a bit about boats, Great Lakes shipping and the Edmund Fitzgerald. He had a boat at Lakehead Basin and said that it was a good place to watch boats come and go.  I understand it is nothing but an asphalt parking lot. We stayed at a similar “RV Park”,  Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City, NJ just across the Hudson from Manhattan.  Wasn’t much of an RV Park but the location was great. Thanks again.

By the way, I’ll take a stab at that landmark in your picture in Nancy K.’s thread about Logo Colors back on May 26. Is it The Tooth of Time at Philmont Scout Ranch?

Bill

Edited by Townesw

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

On 6/27/2020 at 6:18 PM, Townesw said:

By the way, I’ll take a stab at that landmark in your picture in Nancy K.’s thread about Logo Colors back on May 26. Is it The Tooth of Time at Philmont Scout Ranch?

Yes!  You must be a Scout too.  I’m actually typing this from the dinette in our Oliver while parked for a few days in a Scout camp.  They called for alumni who were willing to bring a tent or a camper and be self-sufficient to come to camp to help train staff, cut grass, and generally help out before the campers arrive next week.  The physical distancing aspect is being taken very seriously.  Camp is going to be a different experience for everyone this year.

The talk of Lakehead Boat Basin has me thinking that my wife and I should head up for a few days.  Did you go or make reservations yet?  How difficult was it to get a spot?

Thanks, Ken

• Thanks 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Yes, I was a scout also, and then worked with Scouts for about 20 years as an adult. I said I was through sleeping on the ground and bought an Oliver. 😉 

We had been at Grand Marais for a few days and were headed back south so we drove past Lakehead Basin and took a look at it then went on out to Park Point Recreation Area and ate lunch. Just scouting out the RV Park to see if we might want to stop there in the future. It really is in a good location. 
Thanks, Bill

Edited by Townesw

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax