Center TV disguise

We are ordering a 2021 Elite II twin.  Although we do not watch much TV, we do want the option of watching a movie when foul weather forces us inside.  I am thinking of a way to camouflage the television when it is folded up.  Elite II owners, tell me if this is a possible solution:

Using a tension curtain rod mounted between the left and right cabinets, hang a curtain that just covers the TV, without obstructing the rear window too much or interfering with the screen when the TV is deployed.  I understand the 2021 entertainment components are changing, so it might be hard to determine until we see the new TV installed.

Also, is it possible to place the cable routing so it doesn't hang down as it does in some photos on the Oliver site? Perhaps a velcro strap on the back of the TV to hold it up?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

If you really aren't going to use it much, have you thought about just getting one of the larger iPads to use?  That's what we have and it's perfect, though I admit we've only used it once, at least as a TV.  But it was perfect that once.  

I just got the new pro when it came out and the new keyboard really transformed it into a little laptop.  Then when you want, pop it off and mount it where you want with a suction mount, and voila, it's a TV.  Then use it in your truck for maps - it's really a good tool for travel.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

My husband won't go for watching movies on a computer, even my 17".   Might go the tablet route when my laptop needs replaced.  

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

My husband got used to it. Tablets and laptops use far less power than TVs. 

But, if you keep the tv, I'd probably just use velcro and a valance on a thin vinyl batten, rather than a tension rod. You'll be fighting with that tension rod forever.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Our 2017 LEII came with the television mounted in the street side rear corner.  Later Oliver moved the television to the center location, maybe beginning in 2018.  I moved our television to the center location and also placed the power, RCA inputs, HDMI and a USB power cable in the center also.
I also measured from the bottom of attic to the television and it would take a 5" curtain to hide the television which would also cover about 1/3 of the screen when the screen is in the viewing position.  So if you do decide to camouflage the television I believe the curtain needs to flip up or be removable.  Maybe use Velcro to attach it as Sherry suggested.
If you do decide on the television instead of an iPad or two as Overland suggested.  I would suggest you try it as is, you might like it.  I do know that we don’t even think about ours when it is in the up position and when it is in the down position, it’s usually dark outside and the shades are closed.

Mossey

EFB6A7E6-944F-4E19-8157-43EB7E3C5D1B.thumb.jpeg.3c53d41c59570bda66009f5b23c9e557.jpeg

1CBC753E-4339-46F0-AA7E-798989B64ABF.thumb.jpeg.a6c6f50fe82047f9e318743764776cd1.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

3 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

My husband got used to it. Tablets and laptops use far less power than TVs. 

But, if you keep the tv, I'd probably just use velcro and a valance on a thin batten, rather than a tension rod. You'll be fighting with that tension rod forever.

Or maybe I'll just get used to looking at the TV 😉

Can the cabling be secured so it doesn't hang down like in this picture?

folded TV.jpg

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

When the TV is folded up it really isn’t very noticeable. I think some kind of curtain there would be more obvious, prompting the question “why is there an odd shaped curtain down there over the nightstand”.  I’d wait until you get your trailer and see if you think it really needs to be hidden.  

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Susan Huff said:

I don’t know why there is so much cable in this picture.  The answer is “yes” you can either reduce the amount of cable hanging down by pulling it up into the overhead or securing it.  After I moved our TV from the corner to the middle I cabled it so there was enough but not too much.  Nothing hangs down below the TV.

• Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

folded TV.jpg

Where is that photo from? 

Looks like a fabric wire wrap around excessive cable. Imo.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This is an unlikely solution but I'll throw it out there - I added a Sonos Beam under the attic and it would probably hide the majority of the TV cables and mount, in addition to being a nice sound bar for the TV.  No idea where and how big the TV mount is though so it could be in the way.  

IMG_2721.thumb.jpeg.9ada73b5fd8f458f04363d159c1c5878.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the idea . . . .  My husband is hard of hearing . . . . . the more speakers, the better 😁

Ray and Susan Huff

Many of us campers have many ideas on what we want our trailer to be, be it doing modification to suit our needs, or just modification to have something to do because that's what we do. I have found over the years that I like modifications that make life easier and more convenient use of what I have. If I have to move something every time I want to use it, it's more of a hassle then a convince. I have found the Oliver by design is pretty complete and a well thought out trailer, but there are those little things that make it even better, or easy of use as I call it. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

1 hour ago, Trainman said:

Many of us campers have many ideas on what we want our trailer to be, be it doing modification to suit our needs, or just modification to have something to do because that's what we do. I have found over the years that I like modifications that make life easier and more convenient use of what I have. If I have to move something every time I want to use it, it's more of a hassle then a convince. I have found the Oliver by design is pretty complete and a well thought out trailer, but there are those little things that make it even better, or easy of use as I call it. 

trainman

Great advice, not having to move something every time you want/need to use it.  With this in mind, I'm starting a new topic on Organizing your Oliver.  Not sure whether this should be - in Modifications or General Discussion. I'll put it in the latter. I don't know how to insert a link to the topic; perhaps I can do that after the topic is created?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, Overland said:

Might be better to just continue this discussion than create a new one.  

Sorry . . . . . already done . . . . . 

Ray and Susan Huff