Induction Burner - Nuwave or Duxtop?

I know there has been discussion and a lot of Oliver owners use an induction burner.  I've been shopping for one for some time now, narrowing my choice down to a few.  So, cutting to the chase: 

Aside from Overland's recommendation of the Volrath , I am considering the Nuwave Pro Chef and the Duxtop High End Full Glass, leaning more to the Nuwave as it has more precise controls and is NSF certified.

Does anyone here have experience with either of these?

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

21 minutes ago, Overland said:

Hmmmm . . . . . I'll have to get a couple of those 😎

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I went to Aldi this morning for a few items for my mom. They had a nice little induction burner in the special buy section for $45, with a 3 year warranty.  10 degree incremental steps, from 140 (warming) to 500 (sear)  degrees. Fan is constant,  but not loud. I  bought one to keep around as an extra burner for holiday meals. 5 presets. Has a timer, too.

No carrying case (but I  found a case in our pile of extras that works pretty well, and I could make one from scrap upholstery goods.)

Downside is 1300 watts, vs 1800 for the IKEA Tilredda that I used in Norway. Not too bad for times, though. I  tried it out against my home Bosch cooktop, just for grins. Two (almost)  identical Chantal teakettles, each with a quart of water. Highest setting on my Bosch, high (but not sear) on the Aldi unit. It took  3 minutes to boil on my cooktop, 4.5 minutes on the little burner. I think that's pretty acceptable for an inexpensive unit. I especially like the 3 year warranty. 

The nicer IKEA Tilredda is only $49, if you have an IKEA anywhere close by.

Sherry 

20201008_121753.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Update on induction burner:

I purchased this and love it!  I've used it at home a lot, as it simmers so much better than our gas cooktop.  I love that the controls are simple and intuitive and I can't believe how little heat it gives off.  I should have purchased one of these long ago.

Now I have to wait a couple of months to use it in our Oliver . . . . . .  she goes into production today ! ! ! ! !  :classic_love:

@SeaDawg What are you using as a carrying case?

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

33 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Update on induction burner:

I purchased this and love it!  I've used it at home a lot, as it simmers so much better than our gas cooktop.  I love that the controls are simple and intuitive and I can't believe how little heat it gives off.  I should have purchased one of these long ago.

Now I have to wait a couple of months to use it in our Oliver . . . . . .  she goes into production today ! ! ! ! !  :classic_love:

@SeaDawg What are you using as a carrying case?

Susan,

Are you planning on using this outside, or just on the countertop?  My only cooktop in my sprinter is an induction cooktop, and I really like it.  Better than I have liked any propane cooktop in my past campers.

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

8 minutes ago, VBistro said:

Susan,

Are you planning on using this outside, or just on the countertop?  My only cooktop in my sprinter is an induction cooktop, and I really like it.  Better than I have liked any propane cooktop in my past campers.

Probably a bit of both . . . . time will tell.

I purchased this silicone heat resistant pad to protect the counter/tabletops for under the induction burner and our small toaster oven.

BTW: Oliver is now using this cooktop with a cast iron grate.  This will be much nicer than the two burners with individual grates.

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

SeaDawg What are you using as a carrying case?

Right now, it's more of a "dust cover," no padding for the glass. One if the dozens of bags from many trade shows over the years.

An old laptop case would be better (padding). Or, I'll make something if we actually carry it around. Doesn't need much on a pantry shelf.

20201008_183959.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Congratulations! You're on the way!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Right now, it's more of a "dust cover," no padding for the glass. One if the dozens of bags from many trade shows over the years.

An old laptop case would be better (padding). Or, I'll make something if we actually carry it around. Doesn't need much on a pantry shelf.

20201008_183959.jpg

Laptop sleeve is a great suggestion.  I think I might have one somewhere.

Thanks

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, VBistro said:

My only cooktop in my sprinter is an induction cooktop, and I really like it.  Better than I have liked any propane cooktop in my past campers

I love my induction Bosch, at home. Intuitive, and quicker response than gas when adjusting temps. 

I think it's good to have a gas cooktop in my camper, though. I simply wouldn't have the power in mine (2008, 2 group 27 agm batteries) to run an induction cooktop. I wouldn't even be able to run the 1300 watt Aldi unit at full power on my little Honda 1000 generator. 

For those of you with more battery power, bigger gensets, or who camp with hookups, it's a great alternative. 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Susan - 

Today's the day!  That's great - I remember Twist's first production day  well.  Up to that time somehow (yes, even the writing of those checks) the whole thing didn't really seem real.  But, now that it was actually in production somehow I could almost feel it grow.  Back in the day when everyone at Oliver just wasn't soooooo busy, Anita would pop over to the plant, take a couple of pictures of my baby and send them along.  I've still got those pictures that I showed to my friends - and, yes, I'm guessing that they thought I was nuts acting like this was the birth of a child or something.  I'm excited for you!

Bill

p.s.  and now back to the subject of induction burners - sorry for the digression 😒

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I love my induction Bosch, at home. Intuitive, and quicker response than gas when adjusting temps. 

I think it's good to have a gas cooktop in my camper, though. I simply wouldn't have the power in mine (2008, 2 group 27 agm batteries) to run an induction cooktop. I wouldn't even be able to run the 1300 watt Aldi unit at full power on my little Honda 1000 generator. 

For those of you with more battery power, bigger gensets, or who camp with hookups, it's a great alternative. 

Sherry

I admit that I am a bit spoiled in the Sprinter -- the electrical system is powered by 2 tesla batteries that are kept topped up by 795W of roof-top solar.  I'd keep it, but my husband doesn't fit in the bed and it can't be retrofit easily.  Expensive to keep as a "she-shed".

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

6 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Laptop sleeve is a great suggestion.  I think I might have one somewhere.

Thanks

Didn't find one  . . . . . . .  getting out the sewing machine tomorrow 😀

Ray and Susan Huff