My Oliver POPPED all night long

Trainman

On 7/4/2020 at 7:42 AM, Corvus said:

The noise would stop with the bolts that hold the stabilizer and ring were loose. On the last attempt to find a solution I tightened the rear bolt first and the noise stopped. I had also added a couple of drops of silicon lubricant where the stabilizer goes through the hull. I expect the noise to return eventually, but hopefully this will buy some time until I can take it to Oliver for a permanent fix.

Corvus,

Could you post a picture of where you did this work please?  I am not familiar with where you are describing.  Thanks in advance.  

2022 RAM 2500 - 2018 Oliver Elite II Hull #339 

North Texas 

visited-united-states-map (3).png

2 hours ago, rangerk9 said:

Could you post a picture of where you did this work please?

rangerK9 take a look at this recent post about Creaking Stabilizer Jacks. There's a lot more information, including images and video, on this topic there.

This image was not posted on the other post. What I tried was above the caulk inside the trailer and adjust things using the two bolts securing the stabilizer jack head bracket inside the hull and the collar on the outside on the trailer frame. The second bolt is hidden by the jack.

Hope this helps.

creaking-jack.thumb.jpg.e34aabfb57bb60f0209b2d8efd87c482.jpg

• Like 1

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

Corvus,

Many thanks!  I am getting some popping or creaking sounds from my trailer when backing and using the front jack to go up or down.  I suspect I need to lube the Dexter E-Z Flex system.  I sure appreciate your fast response.  

North Texas 

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, rangerk9 said:

Corvus,

Many thanks!  I am getting some popping or creaking sounds from my trailer when backing and using the front jack to go up or down.  I suspect I need to lube the Dexter E-Z Flex system.  I sure appreciate your fast response.  

IF the noise is coming from your suspension system, I would say you need to inspect the bronze bushings inside your spring eyes. Greasing them will hide any noise coming from worn bushings but it won't fix them. They would need to be replaced. A messy, time consuming job but not too difficult. I can give you some tips if it comes to that.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill-Tool-44344-Industrial/dp/B004UUGDSE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FWZCH5KSBYP2&keywords=silver%2Band%2Bdeming%2B11%2F16"&qid=1659497041&sprefix=silver%2Band%2Bdeming%2B11%2F16%2B%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Yemtuls-K7129100-Resistant-Machine-Processed-Cast-Processed/dp/B098XGN6PK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1DKF569NF7SEV&keywords=dexter%2Bbronze%2Bbushing&qid=1659497417&sprefix=dexter%2Bbronze%2Bbushing%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTUE0S1FJSVo3UDlWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDE2OTA5N1ZYTUkzWlVaNlExJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzYwOTgzRFlCQ1NOUEdSQTBIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

The first thing I would pay attention to if you hear popping when jacking the tongue is the propane housing cover. Sometimes it will shift forward or backward a bit. Check the nylon bushings attached to the underside of the lid. There have been some recent reports here of them coming off.

• Like 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

18 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

IF the noise is coming from your suspension system, I would say you need to inspect the bronze bushings inside your spring eyes. Greasing them will hide any noise coming from worn bushings but it won't fix them. They would need to be replaced. A messy, time consuming job but not too difficult. I can give you some tips if it comes to that.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill-Tool-44344-Industrial/dp/B004UUGDSE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3FWZCH5KSBYP2&keywords=silver%2Band%2Bdeming%2B11%2F16"&qid=1659497041&sprefix=silver%2Band%2Bdeming%2B11%2F16%2B%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Yemtuls-K7129100-Resistant-Machine-Processed-Cast-Processed/dp/B098XGN6PK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1DKF569NF7SEV&keywords=dexter%2Bbronze%2Bbushing&qid=1659497417&sprefix=dexter%2Bbronze%2Bbushing%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTUE0S1FJSVo3UDlWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDE2OTA5N1ZYTUkzWlVaNlExJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzYwOTgzRFlCQ1NOUEdSQTBIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

The first thing I would pay attention to if you hear popping when jacking the tongue is the propane housing cover. Sometimes it will shift forward or backward a bit. Check the nylon bushings attached to the underside of the lid. There have been some recent reports here of them coming off.

Appreciations for the info! Unfortunately, I have to hire a mobile RV mechanic to help determine the cause.  I am unable to get down under the trailer myself due to injuries sustained over 28 yrs of military service.  I will give this info to him to help ascertain what is going on.  The sound (a popping/creaking) seems to occur in the middle underside (near axels and frame) of the trailer.  I spoke with Mike (very nice and helpful) at Oliver and he thinks the Dexter system needs to be lubricated.  So, we will start with that and then move on to more troubleshooting if needed.  I sure hope I am not hijacking this thread in any way.  Either way, I am thankful to Corvus and ScubaRx for your assistance.  Our Ollie is my ticket to peace and tranquility and hope to get it back operational soon. 

• Like 3

North Texas 

1 hour ago, rangerk9 said:

Appreciations for the info! Unfortunately, I have to hire a mobile RV mechanic to help determine the cause.  I am unable to get down under the trailer myself due to injuries sustained over 28 yrs of military service.  I will give this info to him to help ascertain what is going on.  The sound (a popping/creaking) seems to occur in the middle underside (near axels and frame) of the trailer.  I spoke with Mike (very nice and helpful) at Oliver and he thinks the Dexter system needs to be lubricated.  So, we will start with that and then move on to more troubleshooting if needed.  I sure hope I am not hijacking this thread in any way.  Either way, I am thankful to Corvus and ScubaRx for your assistance.  Our Ollie is my ticket to peace and tranquility and hope to get it back operational soon. 

While he is underneath, have him check the nuts for the four big jack bolts (use a 3/4” deep socket) that go down through the frame, the spec is 43 foot pounds. They do loosen, as do the suspension and ubolt bolts. He probably already was going to check those, but he is probably completely unfamiliar with Ollies and their peculiarities. If any of the lower jack bolts are loose, have him retorque the four inside that go sideways. The front jack hardware also loosens, that is easy to access. Good luck.

Don’t worry about hijacking, we all do it and eventually that spawns a new thread, or the conversation drifts back to the original subject. 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

While he is underneath, have him check the four big jack bolts (use a 3/4” deep socket) that go down through the frame, spec s 43 foot pounds. They do loosen, as do the suspension and ubolt bolts. He probably already was going to check those, but he is probably completely unfamiliar with Ollies and their peculiarities. If any of the lower jack bolts are loose, have him retorque the four inside that go sideways. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Wilco...great info.  Muchas Gracias!  You are right - most rv mobile mechanics are not familiar with Oliver.  It is pretty awesome when they do see one for the first time (had this happen a couple of times) and they are very impressed.  

• Like 2

North Texas