Pics

Seymour

• Moderators

Looks like a nice setup for boondocking. How do you like the froli system? 

How are you managing power for boondocking. I don't see the overhang of a typical Oliver solar install, but maybe it's just the camera angle ?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I'd never seen the Froli system, but it looks really interesting.

Actually, looking at their website, they have a lot of products that interest me.  I really like the magnetic door hold, which would be good for the bath door of course, but I'm thinking it might be a nice addition for the main door as well, if it will work with the curve of the hull.  Both my wife and I tend to want to close the door while it's still latched open and I know I'm going to pull the clasp out of the hull one day.

Their levelers look like a nice option for people like me who don't care for the Andersens.  And their modular dish storage is pretty neat too.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Looks like a nice setup for boondocking. How do you like the froli system? 

How are you managing power for boondocking. I don't see the overhang of a typical Oliver solar install, but maybe it's just the camera angle ?

Froli is working very well and zamp solar is too! 3500 watt generator runs off propane and gas.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seymour said:

UV, yes. First through Katadyn silver impregnated ceramic. From streams and lakes. Testing throughout.

Neat - do you use a sediment filter first and do you need an auxiliary pump or can the Oliver's pump handle it on it's own?

I also have to ask about your computer setup.  That's a pretty pro looking mic, and I think this is the first time I've seen an iMac in an Ollie, plus a laptop.  Do you record podcasts from your Ollie or something?

7 minutes ago, Overland said:

Neat - do you use a sediment filter first and do you need an auxiliary pump or can the Oliver's pump handle it on it's own?

I also have to ask about your computer setup.  That's a pretty pro looking mic, and I think this is the first time I've seen an iMac in an Ollie, plus a laptop.  Do you record podcasts from your Ollie or something?

Yes to all. Katadyn Expedition filter first followed by Viqua UV to purify. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Seymour said:

UV, yes. First through Katadyn silver impregnated ceramic. From streams and lakes. Testing throughout.

Could I ask what you use for a testing system?

I'm thinking we'd like to do something similar on our property in North Carolina. We built a spring water collection system there a decade ago, but we still carry in drinking water. We only use the spring water for bathing and toilet flushing, etc.

Glad you joined the forum. Thanks for all the photos.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Could I ask what you use for a testing system?

I'm thinking we'd like to do something similar on our property in North Carolina. We built a spring water collection system there a decade ago, but we still carry in drinking water. We only use the spring water for bathing and toilet flushing, etc.

Glad you joined the forum. Thanks for all the photos.

Sherry

Found fresh water testing kits online through amazon. 5 different brands but sent 2 samples to local labs as well. Any reputable testing kit with good reviews will do. Be sure to follow instructions to the letter. Good luck, will be making my way through North America including North Carolina at some point and would be happy to meet up to compare systems should the opportunity arise. 

5CD3DE92-32B3-40BD-B747-D871BF5A114E.jpeg

8CCC4DB8-DC49-439F-B3E2-5D1F0CB7274B.jpeg

• Moderators

I thought it was the expedition model. Pricey, but very fast, a long lasting cartridge.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2 hours ago, Overland said:

At 1 gallon per minute that's a lot of pumping to fill a 52 gallon bladder.  But then that bladder plus the Ollie's tank would give my wife and me 15 days of water.

For me, it replaces going to the gym. I fill 5 gallon contain and then transfer into bladder 5 gallons at a time. I also use iodine tablets in bladder and then transfer into Oliver through UV purifier. Drinking water from each tap. The Oliver fresh tank material concerns me a bit but so far, so good. 

9 hours ago, Overland said:

I'd never seen the Froli system, but it looks really interesting.

Actually, looking at their website, they have a lot of products that interest me.  I really like the magnetic door hold, which would be good for the bath door of course, but I'm thinking it might be a nice addition for the main door as well, if it will work with the curve of the hull.  Both my wife and I tend to want to close the door while it's still latched open and I know I'm going to pull the clasp out of the hull one day.

Their levelers look like a nice option for people like me who don't care for the Andersens.  And their modular dish storage is pretty neat too.

Let us know if you try the magnetic door hold for either the bathroom or entrance doors.  Curious to hear how it works for you and if there is a good way to attach it without screws. 

https://nickleatlantic.com/products/magnetic-door-retainer

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Let us know if you try the magnetic door hold for either the bathroom or entrance doors.  Curious to hear how it works for you and if there is a good way to attach it without screws. 

https://nickleatlantic.com/products/magnetic-door-retainer

There are several threads about holding the bathroom door open.  Here’s one:

We got magnetic door holders off Amazon for a few bucks, stuck one to the door and one inside under the dinette seat.  Works like a charm.  I had it outside at first but that proved to be to strong, once inside it was just right (thanks to Spike in Sierra Vista!).

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We have the magnetic baggage doors holders on our bathroom door.  Stuck them in with command strips.  Been there for a couple of years now.  On the suggestion of another poster, I moved one of the magnets to the inside of the dinette seat.  Much better “pull”.  The other way was a bit too strong. 

Brandi Shaffer

• Moderators
On 7/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, Overland said:

I really like the magnetic door hold, which would be good for the bath door of course, but I'm thinking it might be a nice addition for the main door as well, if it will work with the curve of the hull.  Both my wife and I tend to want to close the door while it's still latched open and I know I'm going to pull the clasp out of the hull one day.

I understand the fear of ripping the retaining hook off of the hull and the Froli magnetic door holders are very nice looking as are all of their products.  But I don’t see an application for it on the Ollie entrance door.  I think the bathroom door hold you are using might be a better option because of the movement in the ball side.  Without product measurements I’m just guessing.  Is the magnet in the swivel ball or the fixed portion?  Let us know what your thoughts are as you may be seeing things differently.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”