Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
2 hours ago, mossemi said:

I understand the fear of ripping the retaining hook off of the hull and the Froli magnetic door holders are very nice looking as are all of their products.  But I don’t see an application for it on the Ollie entrance door.  I think the bathroom door hold you are using might be a better option because of the movement in the ball side.  Without product measurements I’m just guessing.  Is the magnet in the swivel ball or the fixed portion?  Let us know what your thoughts are as you may be seeing things differently.

Mossey

I looked into the Foli door catch. It's marketed in the UK as an exterior door catch, for a number of different brands which I'm not familiar with. (Like Luna)

Couldn't find a pound rating on the Foli magnet, anywhere. But, if it's for an exterior door, it's likely too strong for the bathroom door. In white, it's unobtrusive, but there are two things I don't like as an exterior catch.

 It's plastic, which may yellow, or become brittle here in the Florida sun.. The second is the tiny springs inside that are supposed to adjust for curve. Anything but 316 stainless is liable to rust and die here in Florida,  concealed, or not. And there was no mention of stainless in the verbage, anywhere.

I'd go with the Sealux catch Overland uses inside if I were going to replace the hook and latch. It has a 9 pound + rating, and most of us wouldn't leave the door open in winds high enough to drive that open. It's marketed to the marine community,  where most of us use mechanical latches and stops.

I usually prefer Seadog fittings. However,  their magnetic catch has a higher pound rating, but uses 304 stainless. 

Photo attached to see the springs on the Foli catch.

Sherry

Screenshot_20200707-142236_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, Seymour said:

Why?

Not everyone experiences joy through total minimalism. 

And, that's ok. We all have different styles and goals.

 

 

  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I looked into the Foli door catch.

Photo attached to see the springs on the Foli catch.

Sherry

Screenshot_20200707-142236_Chrome.jpg

I didn’t notice the difference in the two pucks when I was looking at the Froli website, but looking at the picture you attached it’s pretty obvious.  So now I assume that one puck is the magnet and the other is passive.  If this is in fact the case, they definitely wouldn’t work on the entrance door without some additional mounting hardware.  And you are absolutely right about the long term viability of the hardware in an outdoor environment unless it is fact geared toward a marine environment.

Mossey

  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL   LEII #193 “the dog house”

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, mossemi said:

I didn’t notice the difference in the two pucks when I was looking at the Froli website, but looking at the picture you attached it’s pretty obvious.  So now I assume that one puck is the magnet and the other is passive.  If this is in fact the case, they definitely wouldn’t work on the entrance door without some additional mounting hardware.  And you are absolutely right about the long term viability of the hardware in an outdoor environment unless it is fact geared toward a marine environment.

Mossey

For those of us who store our trailers in the salt air, I'd stick with stainless. No pun intended. 

They may very well have two magnets, opposite polarity. But no info I can find on the springs. Nor uv resistance of the plastic housing.

I'm giving it a pass.

Edited by SeaDawg
Additional comment.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

I think that's a good point about the springs.  Plus they're just slightly oversized for where it would need to go, which is on the belly band just inside the door frame.  Almost, but not quite.  But the Sealux magnet would fit nicely there.  

The Sealux has magnets on both pieces, which is why it's as strong as it is.  

  • Like 2

El Palacio Huevo Nieve, Legado Selecto Dos, Numero 256

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Seymour, do you recall the brand of your water bladder? Looks like a nylon casing? Really looks a lot stronger than our 40 gallon from camping world. 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Seymour, do you recall the brand of your water bladder? Looks like a nylon casing? Really looks a lot stronger than our 40 gallon from camping world. 

Sherry

“ Plastimo” comes from the boating/yachting industry. 425 lbs when full. Very well made.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
20 hours ago, Seymour said:

“ Plastimo” comes from the boating/yachting industry. 425 lbs when full. Very well made.

I should have recognized it. Great products.  They make the inner bladder a bit larger. So the stress is on the nylon. Various shapes for odd sized spaces on board.

Good choice. Should serve you well. Try to keep it out of the sun, though. I don't know about uv retardants in the nylon, since they're primarily built for below decks use. 

Sherry

 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

I should have recognized it. Great products.  They make the inner bladder a bit larger. So the stress is on the nylon. Various shapes for odd sized spaces on board.

Good choice. Should serve you well. Try to keep it out of the sun, though. I don't know about uv retardants in the nylon, since they're primarily built for below decks use. 

Sherry

 

Thank you for uv tip. I drop iodine tablets in before filling but did not consider uv damage to nylon, thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

With iodine + filtration + UV, that's a pretty thorough purification system for bacteria - are you worried at all about heavy metals?  As much as you've invested, I'd think you'd want to add an F1Pb filter or similar into the mix.

Edited by Overland

El Palacio Huevo Nieve, Legado Selecto Dos, Numero 256

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

A while back, we settled on this set up for our water purification.  It has worked well for us many years now. It's quick, easy to set up and make friends with all the surrounding campers.

20GallonNEW.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher, Lucy and Rocky plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge) 2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0026 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, HULL NUMBER: 0050 2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4 

 

      ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA       ABBCMBNSYTsm.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think ShallowGal was going on a distillery tour after the rally, but she and Duke may just follow the Outlaw Oliver around until it’s time to head home.😎

We have a distiller at home and I have often thought about one like this for hurricanes, doomsday scenarios and traveling in the Ollie.  This one might work.

Mossey
 

1AEEAF20-DF31-4876-8895-497F8A240D0C.thumb.png.bdd7a9e69c5fa21854d44252c6c51779.png

 

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL   LEII #193 “the dog house”

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, SeaDawg said:

Not everyone experiences joy through total minimalism. 

And, that's ok. We all have different styles and goals.

 

 

We use a gravity filter at home (Berkey type) for our spring fed water.  I love the simplicity of it, with no moving parts (mostly) and no reliance on a power source.  Does anyone here use one in your Oliver?  I'm especially wondering where you carry it while on the move.

With our van RV we have always taken bottled water from our home filter and refilled jugs or purchased water along our route, since having the gravity unit in the van was a bit prohibitive, though I know many motorhomers use one.  With a trailer, I'm thinking, some sort of rack to hold the filtration unit securely in a permanent location and then refill gallon jugs as they are emptied.  

Any comments or suggestions?  For those who go this route, what size filter system is sufficient for 1-2 gallons per day of water for drinking, coffee, and cooking?  Our home filter is a 3 gallon size; we use 4 filter cartridges and it usually filters 3 gal overnight, depending on how turbid the water is.

Thanks

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

We carry filtered rainwater from home in several five gallon jugs for most trips.

My mom's previous home town had an epa notice on their municipal water. I  bought her an Alexapure (much like your Berkey in style/size, but alexapure is nsf rated for the issue her town had, and Berkey was not) and a Pur pitcher for extra filtering of drinking water .  Now that she lives in our community,  with good water, she just filters drinking water with the Pur. The filters ( the Maxion/lead filter) are fairly  inexpensive, for what they do.

For on the road, it depends on your source. Zero water is really great for heavy metals, but not bacteria, giardia, etc . Great for extra care on good municipal water, or you can boil after to kill the organisms.

Pur maxion/lead does a pretty good job all around on bacteria, giardia, and heavy metals, microplastics, etc. A bit slow. But most of the good ones are .

I think a pitcher system, or the pur canister, is a manageable size for a travel trailer, filtering tested municipal water.  Unless you're going off grid, using stream or lake water, in which case, you'll need a lot more. And, that's  another long story. 

Sherry

Fyi, Our home is solar powered,  and our water source is collected rainwater. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by SeaDawg
Clarity

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

We carry filtered rainwater from home in several five gallon jugs for most trips.

My mom's previous home town had an epa notice on their municipal water. I  bought her an Alexapure (much like your Berkey in style/size, but alexapure is nsf rated for the issue her town had, and Berkey was not) and a Pur pitcher for extra filtering of drinking water .  Now that she lives in our community,  with good water, she just filters drinking water with the Pur. The filters ( the Maxion/lead filter) are fairly  inexpensive, for what they do.

For on the road, it depends on your source. Zero water is really great for heavy metals, but not bacteria, giardia, etc . Great for extra care on good municipal water, or you can boil after to kill the organisms.

Pur maxion/lead does a pretty good job all around on bacteria, giardia, and heavy metals, microplastics, etc. A bit slow. But most of the good ones are .

I think a pitcher system, or the pur canister, is a manageable size for a travel trailer, filtering tested municipal water.  Unless you're going off grid, using stream or lake water, in which case, you'll need a lot more. And, that's  another long story. 

Sherry

Fyi, Our home is solar powered,  and our water source is collected rainwater. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks, Sherry.  Our water source is from a spring fed catch basin, but it does get silty and leaf stained certain times of the year.  We do not treat it; had it tested for heavy metals, chemicals and bacteria; just the usual coliforms, (no E. coli.) and no heavy metal or chemical contamination.  We have not tested the water after it has been filtered through the Berkey, but we've never had issues with intestinal upsets, etc.  We live in a very rural setting with quite a bit of wildlife.  We do keep the catch basin protected.   On the road, we only use water from public sources and trust it to be relatively safe, but would like to filter regardless.

I have not heard of Pur maxion/lead filtration.  Will investigate, for sure.  We would only be using filtered water for drinking, coffee, and cooking, so about 1-2 gal per day.  Is that a reasonable amount for the filter you mention?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for "boondocking" - Oh the places you can go - the beautiful views- the night sky-void of light pollution, and not the least - the solitude of NOT being a sardine in a RV park setting. 

We have put the Oliver on a bluff- overlooking hundreds of miles of lower valley, within steps of a secluded running creek, and in spots that many never discover - and all free of charge. Sure - you take some extra precautions - carry more H2O, and perhaps a little more supplies, but overall the ability to go -back of beyond - is the reason to go in the first place. 

If I was strictly a RV parker - I'd have something else - or just stay home.

RB

 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"

ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201524964bac5483378b34b491562080842sm.jpg

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, ScubaRx said:

A while back, we settled on this set up for our water purification.  It has worked well for us many years now. It's quick, easy to set up and make friends with all the surrounding campers.

20GallonNEW.jpg

Nice. Be sure to take off that first fraction of methanol 😊

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.2c22b4b6399d4a57dcd8c86266d3d200.jpeg

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2020 at 1:30 PM, ScubaRx said:

A while back, we settled on this set up for our water purification.  It has worked well for us many years now. It's quick, easy to set up and make friends with all the surrounding campers.

20GallonNEW.jpg

Have you considered making hand sanitizer?

  • Haha 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

States map oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...