Towing an Ollie Elite I with a Tacoma?

JeromeD

Thinking of buying an Ollie Elite I.  Wife won't let me buy a new truck so it has to be towable with our 2011 Tacoma 4L V6 with a tow package (toying capacity 6500 lb).  It sounds like the Tacoma should be up to the job.  Typically what does an Ollie I weigh when reasonably loaded?  I know trailer is rated for 5000 lb but that almost 1300lb of cargo according to the specs.

Edited by JeromeD

• Moderators

Pete  (bugeye driver) towed his 2008 Elite I for many years with a 2008 Tacomah.

We weighed our 2008 over a decade ago, on a cat scale, on our way home from a camping trip. So, it had clothes, gear, propane, some grey, black and fresh, but none of the tanks were more than half full. 420 pounds tongue (we don't have a cargo basket on the tongue), 3960 total weight, so around 3540 on the axle. 

I wouldn't get a cargo basket, if I  were you. Does your Tacomah have a tow package?

We picked up our Oliver with a Volvo xc90. I think the tow rating was 4900 pounds. But, subsequent trips were usually with one of our trucks. The volvo was really not meant for more than local towing, without hills, imo, with its 2.5 liter, 5 cylinder engine.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

You’ll be fine.  We picked up our Elite II with a 2012 Tacoma.  Towed for about 6K miles with no issues.  It had over 100K miles so I traded up to a half ton for more cargo capacity and a bigger gas tank.  Mike

EFC33113-797F-47E2-8802-4201E5E5FD07.jpeg

60ABC103-1A1C-4B63-8A17-3C94B5534DDC.jpeg

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I am sure the Taco will tow fine but you will be short on cargo volume and payload, since the LE1 has so much less interior volume than the bigger trailer. If you don’t travel with a bunch of extra weight (people and all their “stuff”,  big dogs, bikes, etc) you will be OK, but I bet that pretty quickly you will be shopping for a larger tow vehicle. Especially if you plan to tow out West (high, hot, steep and windy conditions).

You can trade it in on a five or ten year old Land Cruiser 200 or a more recent 5.7 liter Tundra - either would make a fantastic TV for the small trailer. They do OK with the bigger one, but would really shine with 1500 pounds less weight in back. Love them Toyota trucks!

Welcome to the forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Have recently ordered an Oliver II scheduled for April pickup.  Will be towing back to Washington, hopefully using our 2013 Quad Cab Tacoma.  Intend to upgrade to an F150 sometime in the near future but were hoping to make this trip in the Tacoma.  I seem to be hearing that, while not ideal, the Tacoma should be able to handle the 3 - 4K return trip OK.  Am I kidding myself?

Jim

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Neuman's said:

Have recently ordered an Oliver II scheduled for April pickup.  Will be towing back to Washington, hopefully using our 2013 Quad Cab Tacoma.  Intend to upgrade to an F150 sometime in the near future but were hoping to make this trip in the Tacoma.  I seem to be hearing that, while not ideal, the Tacoma should be able to handle the 3 - 4K return trip OK.  Am I kidding myself?

Jim

It’s not ideal, but doable.  I towed through the Ozarks in MO and AR.  You will feel the small gas tank and will need to gas up often.  It’s more comfortable in a half ton and a breeze in a 3/4 ton.  You aren’t kidding yourself.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

32 minutes ago, Neuman's said:

Jim

Yes. Probably. Maybe. If it has the Tow Package it might do it. IMHO. Consider flying to Nashville, and then rent a full sized pickup for the drive home  from ... https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckrental/en_US/vehicles.html

Read this and then get back to us with your trucklet’s specs.... Towing Capacity of a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4.0 Double Cab 4x4 with Factory Tow Package

I have towed a 6000 pound LE2 all over the place with much stouter vehicles for four years and would never consider using any midsized vehicle for what you propose. Especially with a V6 with just 266 ft lbs of torque. It isn’t safe and those loooooong steep grades will beat the heck out of your truck. Maybe if you tow carefully with dry tanks and the absolute minimum of gear, which won’t be pleasant.

Please reconsider.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

duplicate, sorry.

Edited by John E Davies

Jim

I have a 2003 Tundra that is very near your TACO.  My Tundra has a 280 hp engine.  I have an Elite and have towed several Elite IIs for Oliver, to Winnipeg Canada, Quartzsite AZ and beyond.  While you may have enough HP to tow the Elite, there are a number of factors you need to consider.  Choose your route carefully.  I recommend returning on I-40 as far as possible.  It is flat, not too much elevation.  For your sized truck, it is not as important about pulling the trailer up as keeping it slow going down.  Avoid as many downward mountains as possible.  A 5k lb. trailer will push your truck down a mountain.  After being pushed down several mountains by my Tundra, I have now opted for a GMC 1500, and I now pull with my GMC.    Safety, not horsepower is the most important factor to me.  Also, crossing Texas, New Mexico and AZ, the winds can blow a heavy rig all over the road.  I have seen a 18 wheeler loose it crossing the desert.  A small truck does not have the weight to stabilize blowing 5k trailer in 30 mph winds.  

Be careful, be safe

Coy

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I have been towing my Elite 1 since 2017 with my Tacoma (2017 TRD Off road w/ 6 speed manual) and can say it has done a great job thru all conditions. Hauls enough stuff for 2 and a dog including 2 kayaks and supplies for weeks out. It is very well matched in both torque and braking (P3 brake control installs like it belongs). One major advantage is it's maneuverability in and out of tight places. The only weakness I have experienced is that the fuel consumption drops to 15 mpg whilst towing and only gives me 300 miles between fuel stops (but this is quality time anyways and a break is wanted by then).  Never a problem in windy conditions yet. This is no longer a compact truck as you know, but a mid size with 6700 lbs towing capacity.

Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV