Air Conditioner Noise questions

JeromeD

Thinking of buying an Ollie I.  One thing my wife can't stand is an a/c fan that cycles on and off with the compressor.  She can only sleep if the fan is on continually.  How does the A/C fan work on the Ollies?  And how loud is it compared to other a/c's?

Edited by JeromeD

• Moderators

No joke. The ac is louder than your typical windowshaker ac. Most people leave the fan on all the time. 

You'd really be best to visit someone in your region to hear the ac. It's the same one used in hundreds of thousands of rvs across the country, but it's also the noisiest item in the Oliver. It is what it is.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

We set the fan to Low and it keeps running even as the compressor cycles on and off.  If you put it on Auto the fan cycles on and off with the compressor.  We just avoid running when possible.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the turnoffs in most RV's will be the A/C's, all are noisy and that's pretty much it. We were looking at a Airstream 23D model and trying to decide between the two, it had central A/C ducts, but for $10,000 more I didn't think it was that much quieter and really didn't want a tin trailer. We try to do most of our camping in the cooler times of the year, or go north to cooler areas, just to avoid the use of the A/C at times, but I wouldn't let the A/C noise keep me from camping.  We have a sun room and it has a Mitsubishi duck less A/C/Heat unit and it is super quite, just wondering why these type of units are not made for travel trailers. I can not even hear the compress unit run outside and the inside unit is super quite. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Trainman said:

Of all the turnoffs in most RV's will be the A/C's, all are noisy and that's pretty much it. We were looking at a Airstream 23D model and trying to decide between the two, it had central A/C ducts, but for $10,000 more I didn't think it was that much quieter and really didn't want a tin trailer. We try to do most of our camping in the cooler times of the year, or go north to cooler areas, just to avoid the use of the A/C at times, but I wouldn't let the A/C noise keep me from camping.  We have a sun room and it has a Mitsubishi duck less A/C/Heat unit and it is super quite, just wondering why these type of units are not made for travel trailers. I can not even hear the compress unit run outside and the inside unit is super quite. 

trainman

I agree, Trainman. 

The good news is, Dometic does make inverter compressor ac units for the markets in the uk, Europe,  and Australia.  Eventually,  they'll bring them here, I'm sure. They'll be more expensive,  but more like hundreds more, not thousands.

I saw somewhere that Happier Camprr is going to use the little inverter compressor Dometic Freshjet in their 2020 units. I'm thinking they're a test market.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

People have definitely used those mini splits on RVs, and they’re especially popular on expedition builds. They’re much more efficient than either rooftop or window units, in addition to being quieter. If there were a good place in the Ollie for either part of the unit, I’d definitely be in line to get one. 

Here’s a thread I started back when I was trying to find an alternative -  it would be worth taking another look out there to see what more is available in our market now.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

What air conditioner noise? 😄 just set thermostat to comfortable temp🥶, AC on low fan setting...hibernation time.😴 We just adapt and overcome. 👍🏻

3D097D1F-B7C8-423C-8FF0-76000CA46D79.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

What air conditioner noise? 😄 just set thermostat to comfortable temp🥶, AC on low fan setting...hibernation time.😴 We just adapt and overcome. 👍🏻

3D097D1F-B7C8-423C-8FF0-76000CA46D79.jpeg

Does double-duty if one of the campers snores!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Oliver sales dept. asked me to show my Oliver twice in the last month.  Because it has been very hot and humid in Florida 95dgs heat index at 105. I thought do I Show it in the heat or turn on the Ac. I decided I wasn’t hiding anything. Let the people hear the noise the ac makes and hope it wouldn’t be discouraging.  One hour before they arrived i turned on the Ac. I also opened up all the compartments bathroom and closet doors.  Just before they arrived i went in to close all the compartment doors, to my surprise it was at temp 73dgs the ac was still running but at a very quieter mode. Showing the interior the Ac decibel  level was low and we had a good conversation without being bothered by the ac noise.  I did explain first start up of the ac is quite loud. But it didn’t take much time to get it cooled down. Both showings I had positive results.  I think the key was getting all the heat out of the compartments and in between the hull. It gave the ac the ability to change the mode setting to a reasonable decibel level yet still maintained the cool temp.   I do agree with everyone the ac still could use some improvement.  And yes it is still to loud when trying to watch Tv.

Edited by Landrover
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderator+
16 hours ago, Trainman said:

...it has a Mitsubishi duck less A/C/Heat unit...

How well does it operate without the duck?  Never mind, just messin' with you!

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg