HOW TO: Element Fire Extinguisher Install

278447811_IMG_1546crop.thumb.jpg.2169e6c19ebf5807283a275a859580d0.jpg

This is a relatively new type of extinguisher, it is common in Europe but since it is not approved, it cannot be the primary extinguisher here, in terms of Oliver supplying one at delivery. As a supplement for the dinky little dry chemical one, it is a great choice. Jay Leno did a story on it, the video is at the following link.

https://elementfire.com

There are two sizes, the smallest (Size 50, $80, at the top) is perfect for a vehicle or garage., The big one is more for a shop or business. Not my pic:

1323039540_extingcopy.jpg.df54b544093099ae67043e301b58fa5b.jpg

It is a good fit for a glovebox - not my pic:

IMG_6827.thumb.jpeg.35ae4baec59c79977c2a29d66f82c3ee.jpeg

The unit ships with a simple C shaped plastic mount with two holes in it. I wanted something more robust so I got their optional Quick Fist. I did not want to drill holes in the trailer for this device so I made a simple aluminum plate and attached it with 1/8" pop rivets and washers.

IMG_1537.thumb.jpeg.ee1922b97afc26181fb1e3d5a676c006.jpeg

I counterbored the holes in back so the rivet tails would be below the level of the back surface, and sanded them flush:

IMG_1541.thumb.jpeg.d6faeb915df1c6bbf9e5e79a7c8ab8f5.jpeg

I added the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape:

IMG_1542.thumb.jpeg.25356720de665fef2a8de812eb0f7242.jpeg

And mounted it to the cabin wall next to my Garmin inReach charger.

IMG_1546.thumb.jpeg.5cb828ed9c0713900f4f5336be7087f6.jpeg

I chose this spot for several reasons. Since the primary extinguisher is near the entry, it is going to be blocked by a galley/ range top fire for anybody sitting or lying in back. This location puts it in easy reach. Plus it is VERY visible up high and is near the emergency exit, which might be useful in the event you had to bail out the back.... The rubber flap is quite easy to open, but the mount appears undersized. It is really hard to reattach the strap. I suspect that a larger size might not be available. Anyway, once, mounted it is not a worry.

I have a second unit that I bought for my TV. It is riding in the glovebox and I am trying to figure out a good (visible) location that won't be in the way. They do offer seat rail mounts for various vehicles.

EDIT: here is a technical discussion describing the chemistry involved. Basically it emits a potassium jet that grabs onto the oxygen around the fire, causing it to snuff out. .... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/3001/3080/files/ElementOperationDescription.pdf?9543567154874779486

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 6
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I placed one on each side of the center console - they're out of the way but visible and in reach even with a jammed seat belt.  I thought we had a thread on these a few years ago.  Maybe that was over on expo.  They're great, but not cheap.

I keep both mine in the truck and then just grab one to put in the trailer when we're camped.  The clips that came with them hold them pretty solidly.

IMG_0805.thumb.jpeg.96d3544cc032411d719ede1c30b2e70c.jpeg

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Overland said:

I placed one on each side of the center console - they're out of the way but visible and in reach even with a jammed seat belt.  I thought we had a thread on these a few years ago.

You started this thread last year.

Mossey

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

When JD posted about the Element fire extinguisher I remembered someone else had talked about it before.  So I went looking for it.  Then you mentioned a post about it and I was already looking at your 2019 post, so I just responded with the link.  Sorry it’s not the one your looking for as I don’t stomp around on the expedition forum.

Mossey

• Thanks 2

I don't either anymore.  It got to be just the same stuff posted over and over, and their editorial content of course is mostly advertisements.  Plus some of those guys are just a little too much into it.  But there's still some good content and I'll pop over every now and then to search for reviews or just to see what's new.  

Thanks for finding that thread - I'd forgotten about it.  What I haven't forgotten is that night I was frantically looking for the little smoke detector that had fallen between the hulls.  For some reason I didn't make any new campground friends that night.

Edited by Overland

• Moderators

I kind of remember you losing an Atom in the bowels of Snowball, but are you saying it was in alarm when you lost it or were you singing in frustration and your campground neighbors didn’t appreciate either?

I guess if I ever install any Atoms I’ll have to equip them with safety string so they are retrievable.

Mossey

Yeah, it was a disaster of a night. Siri gave us some bad directions that took us down some super bumpy roads. When we finally got into the campground at around 10pm I got out of the truck and heard the alarm. It had gotten knocked lose from its mount and somehow that triggered it. Took forever to dig it out from between the hulls. And then I couldn’t get it to turn off so I had to bash it with a rock, lol. Lots of fun.  By the time I started hitting it with the rock we were laughing so hard that we we could barely stand up. And that was before I turned on the water pump only to have my feet get soaked from water spraying out of the return air vent. And before I realized that I’d lost power to the fridge. We went to Santa Fe the next day, dropped off the trailer at a repair shop and found some tequila. 

That was her maiden voyage, and now you know why I’ve spent so much time tying down all the plumbing and electrical and why I carry a lot of tools and spare parts.  She’s tough enough now to handle pretty much anything. 💪🏼

Edited by Overland
  • Haha 2

• Moderators

That’s a funny story that in the long run prepared you for whatever comes you way and helps explain you tool and parts inventory.  But now what I really want to know is, where do you carry Atom Smasher?

Mossey

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread, I am keeping an eye out for possible Black Friday sales, since I want to buy three more of these for Christmas gifts. The manufacturer did have a BF event a few years back, however I do not know if that is common. So, if anyone sees these discounted with free shipping anywhere, such as at Expedition Portal, please post a heads up message here.

https://elementfire.com/collections/allproducts

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.