GMC motorcoach?

nrvale0

Seems like we have some folks around these parts with a lot of experience. Anybody ever owned one of the GMC motorcoaches from the 70s with the Olds powertrain? If so, what're your thoughts aside from "Well, its a 40yro coach." Particularly, how do they compare in terms of storage and table top space compared to your Oliver?

There are a couple up for sale around my area and I may pay a few visits.

Edited by nrvale0

• Moderators

I didn't own one, but my boss in the 80s owned one. It was quite the cool coach. I usually got to drive it back and forth to the repair shop for him, as I was one of the few willing to take it out in city traffic.

It was the awesome 70s harvest gold exterior, with coordinated brown and gold interior. He used it as his mobile office and showroom when he started his business. It was honestly a pretty nice ride, in its day.

This isn't his, but looks a lot like it. Don't think he had an awning.

Sherry

Screenshot_20200712-190001_Google.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Add photo

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

We run across them on the road on occasion. This one was in 2018 at Scotts Bluff National Monument in western Nebraska.

DSC_0829.JPG

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

The GMC was pretty splashy and often colorful. Check out the 70s green interior of the one in this article. http://www.bdub.net/publications/1973_Magazine_Ad/1973_Ad.htm

And, here's a collection of brochures and specs for the various years in its relatively short life.

http://www.bdub.net/publications/

20200713_075612.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

33 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

The GMC was pretty splashy and often colorful. Check out the 70s green interior of the one in this article. http://www.bdub.net/publications/1973_Magazine_Ad/1973_Ad.htm

And, here's a collection of brochures and specs for the various years in its relatively short life.

http://www.bdub.net/publications/

20200713_075612.jpg

They have a you tube video on this unit, very interesting. It was one of the most advanced rvs of its time.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Landrover said:

They have a you tube video on this unit, very interesting. It was one of the most advanced rvs of its time.

I agree, Landrover. I always thought it was head and shoulders nicer and more advanced than the stickies everyone else was building. GM wanted the airplane/space age look, and got it right.

The engineering that went into it is probably the reason that many of them are still on the road today.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

There was one in the parking lot at the RV museum in Elkhart, Indiana last September, as well one inside on display.  They sure were ahead of their time.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Seems like GM salvaged some of the original design in the Lumina van? Lol

Screenshot_20200713-160447_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Haha 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Dad and I have been doing a lot of research on them. I've been thinking of getting one with a solid drivetrain and a decent interior (probably in the neighborhood of $25k or so) to lend to him until he's done with the RVing thing. I know he'll take good care of/improve it because that's just what he does. I *really* like the ones with the green/avocado exterior but Dad says they look like the Scoobie Doo van. 😄

Apparently a lot of the folks responsible for early Corvettes (C1, C2) came over to the team to make the GMC RVs.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Given that we have some real "techies" here I figured if there was much that could be said to their demerit it would get smoked out. On the flip side, a generally positive opinion of them is encouraging.

• Like 1

I also considered finding one of these units, until i started looking at the very different drivetrain and suspension  components that Gm put into it. They are one of a kind, which means parts availability would be limited Or impossible to find without high cost. It truly is a work of art for its time. But for repair costs, I’ll admire one at a RV rally some day. 

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎