Ford Bronco Launch tonight

SeaDawg

Don't know how the buying public is going to handle the long wait time for the new Bronco. Remember this virus thing as affected many buyers and there decisions to buy a vehicle that will be higher priced and is almost a specific use vehicle. The family vehicle is not going in this direction from what I see and read, so the future of this vehicle is still up in the air for many at this time, the way I see it. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Trainman said:

Remember this virus thing as affected many buyers and there decisions to buy a vehicle that will be higher priced and is almost a specific use vehicle. The family vehicle is not going in this direction from what I see and read, so the future of this vehicle is still up in the air for many at this time, the way I see it. 

I agree that the 2 and 4 door Bronco’s are pretty much Wrangler type off-road vehicles.  The Bronco Sport is more family oriented and I bet they sell a bunch of those.  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, rumor has it that the next new Ford product will be a compact truck. And that it will be named the Maverick. 

Why, oh, why? 

I drove a Maverick through college. Great little car, and though I  occasionally loaded it and  drove it beyond its car capabilities, the name does not evoke "truck" with me. 

Then again, most of  today's buyers probably won't remember the little Maverick. Ford's answer to the Japanese invasion. I could (and often did) drive home on pocket change. 

Screenshot_20200806-214414_Google.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

So, rumor has it that the next new Ford product will be a compact truck. And that it will be named the Maverick. 

Why, oh, why? 

I drove a Maverick through college. Great little car, and though I  occasionally loaded it and  drove it beyond its car capabilities, the name does not evoke "truck" with me. 

Then again, most of  today's buyers probably won't remember the little Maverick. Ford's answer to the Japanese invasion. I could (and often did) drive home on pocket change. 

When we were in high school my girlfriend (now wife) had a Maverick.  It was that orangey yellow, pretty ugly.  Neither of us liked it much but when I didn’t have something to drive we usually could get the maverick.  That was 50 years ago, so I think you’re right about today’s buyers.

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Somewhere, in an upstairs closet, I  still have the logo. Salvaged when someone hit me in a wide open parking lot.

Wonder if Ford will bring it back?

Screenshot_20200806-230620_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Maybe it’s the color, but the looking at the light blue Maverick from the rear reminds me of late 60's Camaro.  And the tangerine Maverick reminds me of a 1970 Opel GT.  I double dated in a friend’s Maverick in high school and I never drooled over a Maverick like I did a Camaro or maybe even an Opel GT.  
Mike's right about 50 years and those years have brightened my memories of the back seat of a Maverick.

Mossey

8cb2_3.jpg.487e4d83de6e714023cd3ef56e59c6a7.jpg2037077518_1970-Opel-GT-FullyRestored.thumb.JPG.578239f421684125fd422650161cf7d5.JPG

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

so, yes, I found it! My Maverick badge. 

Just got off the phone with my cousin, who had a Gremlin. Oh, the memories. We both have special memories of the two cars, together. 

The badge was filed away in a box labeled, Sherry, 70s. Of course.

Still looks pretty good, 50 years later. Mine was a 1970 plain Jane, $1999 list.

Guessing one badge Ford won't revive is the Pinto? Right?

Sherry

20200807_173720.jpg

20200807_173526.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Spelling
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

Shipping of new Broncos to pre-order customers has been delayed by the chip shortages, but Ford is opening its first "offroad school" in Texas, using Ford-owned trucks.

What better way to keep waiting customers happy than to let them beat up a new truck they don't own? 😃

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

If you've never done one of those driving schools, I highly recommend them.  We didn't do the one that was offered with our Raptor, just because it was too far away, but we did one with BMW and one with Saab (many years ago), and they were both a blast.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree. We did one with Volvo, at the Daytona speedway, and it was indeed a lot of fun!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, besides the chips, the hardtop is a problem. 

I really would like to see/touch/drive one of these.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a36593681/ford-bronco-delay/

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

https://www.businessinsider.com/ford-maverick-pickup-analyst-reaction-competition-sedans-crossovers-2021-6

So, soon, Ford will be putting the new Maverick trucklet out there.

Too small to tow even my little Ollie, but should be a great around town vehicle, with occasional truck bed use.

Like my mom's early, early ranger. Tiny, but fun. And, hybrid is standard. 

I'd say it's a big gamble. But, a number of people may just like it...

It would easily tow a small boat. Like, I towed my Sunfish with my Bronco II, back in the day. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

It's an impressive tow rating for such a small truck though.  'Small', relative to the oversized full size pickups of today.  I've been surprised at how many Honda Ridgelines I've seen around town, but I can see how the comfort and road handling of a unibody truck is appealing.  So I think Ford has a ready market, and I think the hybrid choice was wise.  We love our little X3 hybrid, and I'm eager for a hybrid Raptor (which will never happen, but I can dream).  

I've also been seeing quite a few of the Bronco Sports around, which is the same basic chassis as the Maverick.  I was expecting the Sport to be something of a pretender; but in person, it's clearly more like the original LR Disco, and seems like it would be similarly capable offroad.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I think the hybrid was a wise choice, too. I am looking forward to seeing it, actually. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

I saw my first Bronco Sport on the street yesterday.  All black, and a pretty nice look. I was expecting it to be more reminiscent of an Escape, but it wasn't. Ford did keep some hints of the old Bronco II, though lower and more rounded corners than my 88. And, it does have some Disco flavor, as Overland suggested. 

Screenshot_20210622-075059_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210622-075420_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210622-074959_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

The one I inspected was - uninspiring. Visually nothing special ,  you kind of stepped down into it,  very modern overall. We all have tastes of the varying kind. 

I am somehow stuck in my favor for automotive styling. Seems the older versions of things capture my fancy - especially the exterior styling. However, modern powertrains are simply astonishingly well executed. 

At a car show  in Williams AZ, someone had a first gen Bronco - with all the best of modern chassis and powertrain - It was something to behold. I'd guess $150k worth.  

I also spent time with the new Vette - ok - I love it - but no mid life crisis here - it would not do me well to be divorced and have a new Vette sitting in my new Apartment parking spot.

Safe travels All.

RB

• Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, saw this when we stopped for dinner the other night at our favorite CaliMex restaurant near Asheville.  It brought back so many fond memories of my original little Maverick.  

Now, I'm looking, 50 years later, at the new Maverick tiny pickup. With 4 x 4 and 4k, tow package, it could actually tow our smaller boat, and even my Elite (though only locally, flatland Florida). No hybrid, though, with 4 x 4. Bummer.

Disclaimer: my original Maverick was plain white. No "cool" carbon fiber hood.

20210710_184713.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+

Oh, I do so miss our old Maverick.

Z-Car '80-a.jpg

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 months later...

Oooops. 

F4C4AC7C-2F52-42EE-A648-66B1201A8AF3.jpeg.9b330351cba8ba17a7e7c46a91576528.jpeg

Not the right tires.

“Deputies have learned that the women were driving up Bridal Veil Road and entered the one-way Black Bear Pass going the wrong way. The passenger told Deputies they did not see the sign indicating the beginning of the one way pass. After a couple of switchbacks they decided it was best to turn around. The passenger then stepped of the vehicle to help the driver navigate, and while backing up, two of the wheels went high enough on the embankment to cause the vehicle to begin to roll. The 2021 Ford Bronco rolled off the cliff an estimated 400 feet, ejecting the driver, the dog, and the vehicle’s engine before coming to a stop.”

The young driver has serious injuries, the dog is OK. Black Bear is very dangerous if you are inexperienced, in the wrong vehicle, and/or your head is not screwed on straight. These folks were all three…..

Here's How A Ford Bronco Sport Looks After Rolling 400 Feet Down A Mountain

Here is the top of the pass, they were nowhere near this section. You can see why it is one way, down hill. Not my Land Cruiser….😬

5C2318C4-2A4D-4C07-B3B5-C1A84AB8D3DB.thumb.jpeg.a1bbf1cdfb1e7e0847b5c244a517ecfa.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Wow 2
  • Sad 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I’ve seen way too many videos of rolled vehicles on that trail.  Personally, I don’t think I’d do it in anything longer than a short wheelbase jeep. There’s just not a lot of room to correct your line if you get it wrong and there’s too high a price to pay when you do. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Overland said:

I’ve seen way too many videos of rolled vehicles on that trail.  Personally, I don’t think I’d do it in anything longer than a short wheelbase jeep. There’s just not a lot of room to correct your line if you get it wrong and there’s too high a price to pay when you do. 

LC200, no worries. Turn Assist shortens the turning radius, plus you have cameras all around for seeing where the cliff edge starts..

FLT- Turn Assist

FYI Crawl Control is not “lurchy” at all if you turn up the speed, he had the Crawl knob turned to Rocks which is FAR too slow for even terrain. I have played around with Turn Assist in deep sand when I was testing the self recovery ability of CC, which is truly jaw dropping. The truck will dig itself out of powder sand, unless it is well and truly high centered. This is the main reason I am content to explore the back country with no winch, just recovery tracks and a shovel….

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.