new passengers for hull 64's adventures and hitch height

Kimbellee

We just purchased hull 64 from Michael and elizabeth and are very excited to get started with our ollie adventures. We are Kimbellee and Kevin from Birmingham, Al.  We have been silently following oliver for a couple years now and Michael's trailer is just perfect. I Look fw to sharing more on these forums and they were great theoughout the process. My initial question if someone reads this is if there is an optimal hitch height for the ollie when loaded to the hitch. I am pulling with a 2013 land cruiser and andersen hitch on 64. I feel like I may be a little high on the hitch at the moment but am not experienced on what exactlh to look for.

Thanks,

kevin

D7790B1F-A12F-4F68-950D-BB6221907F06.jpeg

B54EB68D-724B-4F71-BD66-B2FB1F009012.jpeg

• Like 2

• Moderators

Congratulations on a really nice trailer, from really nice owners!

Welcome to our forum,  and glad you joined.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Your trailer looks perfect, but your 200 looks slightly butt low. There is not anything you can do with your hitch to fix that, but a set of Firestone inside-the-springs rear airbags inflated enough to bring it level, (10-12 psi) help significantly in terms of stability. Here is “Mouse”, it is dead level but the pic shows a little camera lens distortion. This is with 33” tires on the 200.

BF3D90BE-230A-4E3D-B97B-F3B27F1C426A.thumb.jpeg.dc880cd9ba0e2ebb25dbd656d0f43b12.jpeg

Checking an Ollie to see if it is level can be tricky, the frame structure in back kind of droops and it is deceptive. Use the front part of the frame and the belt line as a visual guide.

Plus, if you haven’t already done so, switch out the squooshy OEM style tires to firmer LT tires. The ride will suffer a little, but towing is MUCH more secure, and you will be much less at risk of a flat on rough roads.

This hasn’t been updated for a while, but..... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2059-land-cruiser-200-towing-thread/

How do you like your Cruiser? A couple of helpful suggestions.....

Your safety chains are too long and should be shortened significantly, so that you have minimal loops hanging down, and they should crisscross under the ball, to act as a safety catch if the attachment should fail. You can droop a bungee cord over the tongue and hook onto the chains to help hold them up.

0E55F17A-1AB2-46AA-8611-2E4AFC4C8AAF.jpeg.c2dbbad5943f90ffc26c4d00f4589193.jpeg

Also, your trailer harness is vulnerable. The 200 has a wierd location for the socket, as you no doubt know, and this loop is prime for catching on a road hazard and ripping clean off the trailer. Ouch. I run mine on top, secured with a bungee to eliminate slack under the bumper, plus I leave a horizontal loop so that the cable doesn’t stretch tight in a hard jackknife turn. This also takes most of the strain off the fragile little plastic hook that keeps the plug in the socket.

9A9C0D25-F4ED-4623-A2E5-0CF51838235F.jpeg.53ed250e33994fbece5f28145bc5e72e.jpeg

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy both your Land Cruiser and your new Ollie.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

That’s a great trailer that I’m sure has been taken well care of. Congratulations on the purchase. 

Like John said, your trailer looks good but the cruiser does look a little low in the back.  It looks like you have an adjustable hitch so maybe try tightening up the Andersen a bit more and then if that brings the trailer tongue up too much then go a notch or two lower to compensate. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Ollie purchase.

That is a great looking rig you have there. Admittedly partial to Toyota’s having owned them since 1989. Maybe we’ll get to meet you at the September Oliver Rally at Lake Guntersville, Alabama. 

-Patriot

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

I believe the question was the optimal hitch height? My manual states the optimal height should be 22 1/2" to the top of the ball, with the TV ( tow vehicle) level..

That is a fine figure to use when initially choosing a hitch, but in the real world the entire rig should be pretty much level , or perhaps a little high at the TV, with a typical “traveling load” of fluids and gear. For example, I always try to tow with full fresh and empty grey tanks. Also, that number is for a standard sized ball, if you use a bigger ball and coupler, obviously the parts at the hitch will be higher. So run what looks good to you.....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.