Scene from the GRAPES OF WRATH ?

mountainborn

• Moderators

We test loaded a few things on the expedition rack and the trail rack today. We wanted to see about top heaviness, reduced fuel economy, wind noise, load shifting, adjust tie down points, ect..

The rachet straps all had to be twisted to eliminate chatter. Tarp straps had to be added to stop vibration and rattles.

The car top carrier sits on top of two solar arrays of four panels each, a sheet of plywood then the cartop carrier. Betty's trike and a dish on the back. The dish is because we arent sure that our king dome won't be in the shadow of some large connifer trees.

The trail rack has spare gas for the Yamaha generator, a chainsaw and saw gas mix. The cartop carrier was empty and so were the gas cans for this test. With everything full we estimate it will add about 200 lbs.

At 60 MPH we lost about 2 MPG. Our thinking at this time is that we will drive secondary roads, taking extra time to travel to Colorado and reduce speed to 55 MPH for better mileage.

So, what did it look like ? Here is a look, click photo for a larger view:

th_100_0090.jpgth_100_0093.jpg

Suggestions and input appreciated !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

:D We cured our storage problem by buyin' a 'Burb ! Gas milage is actually better than the truck and it's a 4x4. It has a rack if we need it but not sure we will. Looked at a roof top hard top carrier but we'll know better after this trip. Dogs love the middle area, much more than they had in the extended cab so we know we could put a good sized plastic container THERE if we had to :o

Are ya' gonna' have room on top for the rockin' chair ? ? ;)

See ya at Lake Greeson, 8-) n :) n critters

• Moderators

Betty said no rocking chair ! I think she was afraid I would make her ride up there in it, like granny Clampet in the Beverly Hillbillies !

Here is a video look, Click to view:

th_100_0094.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Methinks yer somthin' of a crossbreed betwixt Jed Clampet and George jetson, what, withe that there satelight receever . . . ;)

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg