Bathroom Lights

Imelda

7 minutes ago, Overland said:

Some Ollies are wired differently than others, but on mine the bath light switch is on the underside of the overhead cabinet, above the toilet. 

Thank you, just found it where you said it was. Now 2 more questions on lights:

Does the refrigerator have a light in it?

If I am parking the trailer for a while, does it have a battery disconnect switch somewhere that I can disconnect the batteries and prevent them from draining the batteries down. My horse trailer w living quarters has this feature.

I don't believe Oliver trailers have a battery disconnect.  You would need to unhook the batteries

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Do you have solar? If so, no need to disconnect batteries. With the way it is set up, there really is no current drain. In our boat we have a shut off switch, but it is just an easy way to shut off the electronics (the bulge pump is powered but had never drained much current).

We asked about the battery disconnect during our delivery day inspection. We were told our 2020 Oliver does not have a battery disconnect.

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Our 2019 has a breaker under the driver's side bed, to the left of the positive bus. 

Push the yellow or red button in to turn off.   Close the yellow or red gate switch to turn on.  

Breaker is similar to below.

Andrew

image.thumb.png.9a62daa068dd0cd49d5a60cb5bfed947.png

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

On 7/17/2020 at 4:12 PM, Overland said:

That breaker will disconnect most of the electrical but not all. 

Overland,

My battery monitor shows no current across the shunt, when the breaker is open.  Meaning less than 0.01 amps/hour. 

Andrew

Edited by AndrewK

Andrew

• Moderator+

If I leave the trailer unplugged and out of the sun, I will be down a couple hundred amps in about two weeks. I discovered this quite by accident recently. My measured phantom draw is about 10 amps/day. Theoretically, the batteries should last about three weeks at that rate, but my AGM's are at least 7 years old and, like the old gray mare, they ain't what they used to be!

For the more mathematically curious, 0.4 amps/hour x 24 hour = 9.6 amps per day.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

A warning about post type disconnects. Check the amp rating. DavidS’ is rated at 125 amps continuous for use on the Negative terminal only. He has it connected to the small ground wire coming out of the hull, so that is fine. Do NOT connect it to the huge 4/0 inverter ground cable, if you have one. The inverter draws that much or more and can quickly fry this device.

Also make sure the cable is fully supported by clamps or heavy nylon ties so it can’t torque the attach bolts loose. There is a lot of weight and leverage involved, especially on bumpy roads.

If you have an inverter and want to disconnect all the possible electrical draws you need a high amp marine type Positive disconnect rotary switch rated at 300+ amps. Blue Seas makes excellent ones, some are even key lockable. This should be located inside the hull as close to the battery as practical and will require cable fabrication.

Be safe, research well, and do not ever install a low quality part. Oliver uses some very high quality electrical components, in the main circuits, bravo for them. The other stuff like the POS fuse panel could sure use an improvement....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, John E Davies said:

A warning about post type disconnects. Check the amp rating. DavidS’ is rated at 125 amps continuous for use on the Negative terminal only. He has it connected to the small ground wire coming out of the hull, so that is fine. Do NOT connect it to the huge 4/0 inverter ground cable, if you have one. The inverter draws that much or more and can quickly fry this device.

John Davies

Spokane WA

JD,  I am confused by your small ground wire comment.  The only ground wires smaller than the main 4/0 I remember having were a yellow jacketed 6 AGM, a black 10 AWG from the Furrion solar port I added, the black 6 AWG and the temp sensor for the Zamp controller.  
It looks to me that the disconnect is on the left main 4/0 to the cabin/inverter and the right 4/0 is the jumper to the battery behind the battery with the disconnect.  What else could the disconnect be controlling?

I think the disconnect is in just the condition you are warning about.  Maybe DavidS will chime in with a clarification.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Mossey, maybe I am not seeing his cables correctly DavidS does need to chime in.  We don’t want any fires.......

john Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:35 AM, Overland said:

Check the light on your CO monitor. 

Overland,

The stated Atwood CO monitor power consumption in “power conservation“ mode is 0.01 amps/hour.  
In my case it is actually less than that.

Even at the stated rate, it would take more than 800 days to use up 200 amp/hours of usable battery capacity.

That is close enough to zero for me.

Andrew

Edited by AndrewK

Andrew

John D and Mossey inquired about how my battery disconnect is attached. I am not sure I understand the questions, but I will try to answer. 

I have four AGM batteries, and this is the battery tray from above. The disconnect is attached at the bottom right, on a negative terminal, and the positive connects to a battery at the top left. 

IMG_4050.thumb.JPG.eebaf5efe267019c888270d9a4a3ba2a.JPG

Here is a view of the positive terminal connections. One large red wire (the 4/0 wire?) and two smaller diameter red wires. 

IMG_4054.thumb.JPG.8a0a917244541be177d5fc4338ac12f7.JPG

There are two black wires connected to the battery disconnect, one large and one small.

IMG_4053.thumb.JPG.e89ff5dc3ec8c05ffd80bb1d8bfdb3b9.JPG

594078695_BatteryShutoff2.thumb.jpg.ebd590af8774293bca06432c9b46ec58.jpg

Is this set up of concern?

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Hi DavidS. The big fat black cable is your inverter ground, and it sometimes carries significantly more current than that disconnect is rated for (125 amps continuous). I suggest that you hook both cables back to the nearby post, without your switch. If you could find a disconnect with a higher rating, you could keep it as is, but your current situation (electrical pun) is a little risky IMHO. 

In theory you could just have the small cable going through a disconnect, but Oliver joins the inverter ground to the main chassis ground inside the hull (there was a recall about this a year ago) so the small cable ground would just find its way through that added wire to the battery....

Here is what is happening with my inverter running the microwave, while in sunshine, so the solar is contributing a little to offset the massive current draw:

IMG_1512.thumb.png.dbc18bc3d842c54f709b716b36f9006e.png

If you run the MW for a long time, like 12 minutes for cooking a couple of frozen dinners, or if you added even more load, like a heater or toaster while the microwave was going, it could start overheating your disconnect. Have you ever felt the disconnect while running a heavy load? Was it warm?

I am not trying to alarm you, I just want to keep things safe. Those fat wires carry a whole lot of current, which is potentially dangerous. Google “welding with car battery”...

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

David,

JD presents a very good, real world example of the load we can place on the Oliver battery system and that it could overload your battery cutoff.  Here is some additional information to support his suggestion to remove or upgrade your battery cutoff.  The Trojan battery manual provides a cable sizing chart which states that a 4/0 cable, 6' long can support 360 amps.  Oliver installed a 4/0 cable with an in-line 250 amp fuse between the inverter and batteries in my trailer and I bet yours is the same.  This means the fuse should blow before the cable would fail.  Your 125 amp rated battery cutoff now becomes the weakest link in the battery system.  It will not blow In an overload condition because it does not have that capability, but it might melt or burn and that is our concern.

I do not always agree with JD, but I know he always has everyone’s safety in mind.  And that’s a good thing for the rest of us.

Mossey

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

David, that looks like the exact same part, maybe you should contact the seller to verify the continuous amp rating. We all know how flaky Amazon descriptions can be..... I don’t see how one can be rated at 150 and the other at 300 when the pictures look identical. Here is one that uses a removable key. It is rated at 200 amps continuous and 500 amps for 5 seconds. You would need another short “jumper” cable, similar to the jumpers on top Of the battery. I have never used one, I am just throwing this out there for your consideration. You would need to figure out either a mount or some other method of stabilizing it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D55VM3/?tag=massdeals-20

It could even be placed on top of the battery bank, I think. Maybe...... Possibly.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

Every RV we have owned (only 3) has had a battery disconnect, though we have never used it, relying on keeping the RV plugged to shore power when idle for long periods.

Two questions (disclaimer - I am not an expert on batteries):

1. I see how using a battery disconnect switch would eliminate the phantom draws that will draw a battery down, over time.  But what about battery maintenance?  Isn't it a good idea to keep a battery, when not in use, connected to a trickle charger or other means of keeping the battery active and healthy, much like humans working out?  We have numerous vehicle batteries on our ranch (Cat, tractor, sawmill) as well as lawn tractor/mower, motorcycle and ATV batteries.  Those not used frequently are regularly hooked to a charger to maintain integrity.  Auto dealerships do the same with their showroom vehicles; I'm sure those out on the lot have batteries removed for securiity.

2. I don't know what percentage of RVs have battery disconnect switches, but there must be a reason Oliver trailers do not come with one installed.  Or, even offered as an option.

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

39 minutes ago, Overland said:

David, I just noticed that Oliver is showing a terminal disconnect on the photo for their new LFP package.  They might be able to tell you what brand and model they're using.

Thanks, Overland. I emailed Jason to inquire as to brand and model. I then did a google image search for battery disconnect switch, and based on the photo I am pretty certain it is the side post version of the Ampper Side Post Battery Disconnect Switch, Battery Master Switch Isolator for Power Disconnect Cut Off. It says "battery negative post 3/8" hole only, DC 12 V system, rated current: 125 A."

75220357_ScreenShot2020-07-24at4_36_48PM.png.7ab3950e303d804efd735d7e446daff5.png

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

4 hours ago, DavidS said:

Thanks, Overland. I emailed Jason to inquire as to brand and model. I then did a google image search for battery disconnect switch, and based on the photo I am pretty certain it is the side post version of the Ampper Side Post Battery Disconnect Switch, Battery Master Switch Isolator for Power Disconnect Cut Off. It says "battery negative post 3/8" hole only, DC 12 V system, rated current: 125 A."

DavidS, you should forward that info to Jason - he should know the specs but if you are correct that is a serious hazard.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies