Bike hitch water issue

Yukon

Removed the bike rack from the Oliver , discovered the main support beam to be full of water, I disassembled the receiver hitch and used silicone to stop water entry. We will see how that works, maybe it will need drain holes drilled to the underside of the beam. The Aluminum beam is hollow.

339AA3C4-8C83-4B3C-B81D-94122D08D595.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Yukon, thanks for posting, I checked ours and discovered a tiny amount of water which I drained out of the the bumper. I drilled a small weep hole in the bottom (pic) and caulked around the mounting bracket area holes (hard to see in pic) with silicone.

Maybe the production line can add a small weep hole to eliminate the bumper holding water.

B5C99415-24FE-49BE-AE64-069C76865B90.jpeg

6874F514-7262-44AC-A65B-0F9232E05440.jpeg

D65D26D9-59E6-4050-B500-536A0C0675F0.jpeg

Added a bead of silicone around the 7pin to keep moisture out.

9DEC6DE2-EE3A-4FA3-ADD3-B1A8109ECC08.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

Typically ANY tightly closed structure that suddenly is opened to the outside by drilling mounting holes in it also needs weep holes drilled in the bottom. I suggest one at each end rather than one in the middle. That way the water will drain even if the trsiler is off level. They can be very small.

I don’t think the installers seal those ubolts or even put anti-seize compound on the threads. I wonder why the moisture did not just seep out around the lower washers?

There are a number of places on an Ollie that may catch water and they all should have small drain holes added. 

John Davies
Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

40 minutes ago, Patriot said:

I drilled a small weep hole in the bottom (pic) and caulked around the mounting bracket area holes (hard to see in pic) with silicone.

D65D26D9-59E6-4050-B500-536A0C0675F0.jpeg

Unfortunately, some regular silicone  (RTV) sealants do not bond to stainless steel very well. A more sophisticated marine sealant like one of the 3M products would probably provide a longer lasting seal. I have had a couple of heartbreaking experiences with this issue and am very leery of sealers for stainless....

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
Added comment

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

Unfortunately, all regular silicone  (RTV) sealants do not bond to stainless steel very well. A more sophisticated marine sealant like one of the 3M products would provide a longer lasting seal.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I think the weep hole is going to remedy the real issue of water collecting in the hollow rear bumper. The amount of water was minimal. I will wait and see if I need to (2) additional weep holes, noted.

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg