Hickory smoking a 9# brisket

Patriot

Every now and then we enjoy beef brisket and we really miss our Texas - Rudy’s barbecue days. One of my other hobbies and always a work in progress is smoking meat, fish and chicken on our a Traeger LiL Texas pellet grill. We picked up a nice 9# brisket the other day and decided to let it slow and go roll in hickory smoke for 6-7 hrs @225d or until the internal temp hits 180-190d. I dry rubbed this one early this morning and will post up a few pics when it’s done.
We are celebrating/giving thanks for a successful blueberry harvest finishing out with 42.5 gallons of berries this year. We are truly grateful as it’s our best yield in the 11 yrs we have been growing them. Yes we eat a lot of blueberries, this harvest will take us well into 2021/22.
In an effort to keep this post Ollie related I made sure Hull 634 was captured in my pic.😁

6DD22EA6-CF83-4532-A08F-AF11BA2B07D5.jpeg

E8F32823-9668-4186-8715-FA5B34241917.jpeg

696C3E6F-C147-418E-9E3A-BEA0AFEA365A.jpeg

We use the igrill mini for accurate internal meat temp..it’s been a great tool/app. It works flawlessly.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

We love our brisket, too.  I usually smoke a big one on my Primo smoker once a month or so.  We freeze what we don’t eat or give away.  I’ve got plenty to take with us on our trip to Colorado next week!  I usually smoke at 225-250 degrees and then cover with foil at about 8 hours.  Then I keep it on the smoker until internal temperature is between 190 and 195.  Yum!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Your brisket looks great. Love to see a photo when you're done. 

We have a big Kamodo Joe, and love the brisket on there. It takes a long time, as we usually smoke one between 13 and 20 pounds. We take it off around 170, wrap it ip and take it to above 203, and smoke it another 30 to 40 minutes to get the crispy bits. 

We've done corned beef the same way, several times, but I soak the cb brisket overnight to leech out some of the salt. Then coat it with just mustard, instead of mustard plus a dry rub. Yummy.

With your beautiful blueberries,  you might try making the 12 Bones Asheville Blueberry Chipotle bbq sauce. It's really great on ribs. I've had the sauce at the restaurant in Arden, but I haven't made this recipe they shared yet.  It reads pretty sweet. (I cut back the sugar by half in their corn pudding recipe. ) 

https://www.ediblecommunities.com/recipes/blueberry-chipotle-bbq-sauce/

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

I am impressed with each of your culinary skills.  I wish I had some of your talent. However, I did cook a Ballpark hotdog in a George Foreman grill the other day!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Nice meat . Similar to your experience  Our berries have been really prolific this year. Blue berries, and blackberries. Way more than we can use, freeze or give away - however, my honey production as about a third of normal years. The wet spring just didn't help at all - the girls were house bound way to much....

The deer wrecked havoc on the garden while we were gone all of June - but its  on the mend....

I looked at the Traeger LiL Texas pellet grill. I just can't get past the $$. we don't eat that much meat - but my son has nothing but great things to say about his. Perhaps one day I'll let my guard down.

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Thank you for the nice compliments! Just a work in progress. 
A few pics of of the finished brisket....Kathy made homemade warm potato salad and baked beans with a little local mule kick chipotle bbcue sauce. We don’t eat this way every day...but I gotta say we are pleased with how tender it turned out. I even managed to get a nice little smoke ring going on. We do like brisket with breakfast. No room for blueberry cobbler...huh? it should be illegal to say that...😄

Gotta have a little bark.

3D84A1D1-9466-4F27-8A10-FD985E5253E5.jpeg

12EA58DC-4923-4325-9396-F86ACF402C24.jpeg

3F450B55-D5AB-4480-948A-027BA4403F4E.jpeg

5CA7BB2F-9820-4C64-8CA5-27BB2A1CBCAC.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

Your brisket looks great. Love to see a photo when you're done. 

We have a big Kamodo Joe, and love the brisket on there. It takes a long time, as we usually smoke one between 13 and 20 pounds. We take it off around 170, wrap it ip and take it to above 203, and smoke it another 30 to 40 minutes to get the crispy bits. 

We've done corned beef the same way, several times, but I soak the cb brisket overnight to leech out some of the salt. Then coat it with just mustard, instead of mustard plus a dry rub. Yummy.

With your beautiful blueberries,  you might try making the 12 Bones Asheville Blueberry Chipotle bbq sauce. It's really great on ribs. I've had the sauce at the restaurant in Arden, but I haven't made this recipe they shared yet.  It reads pretty sweet. (I cut back the sugar by half in their corn pudding recipe. ) 

https://www.ediblecommunities.com/recipes/blueberry-chipotle-bbq-sauce/

Sherry

Thank you Sherry! 
Wow we will have to give this a try on ribs someday.

We made homemade blueberry waffles Friday morning....oh..the carb overload was rough.😴 We toughed it out. Still working on the amount of waffle batter as you can tell. 😄 We also enjoy blueberry smoothies especially when it’s warm outside.

F21F373D-F90C-4004-84BA-F82C270D76B4.jpeg

1440EE7B-A095-44A4-8D1B-49527FF3D7CC.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

50 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Nice meat . Similar to your experience  Our berries have been really prolific this year. Blue berries, and blackberries. Way more than we can use, freeze or give away - however, my honey production as about a third of normal years. The wet spring just didn't help at all - the girls were house bound way to much....

The deer wrecked havoc on the garden while we were gone all of June - but its  on the mend....

I looked at the Traeger LiL Texas pellet grill. I just can't get past the $$. we don't eat that much meat - but my son has nothing but great things to say about his. Perhaps one day I'll let my guard down.

RB

RB,

Glad to hear your growing berries, like you our season has been pretty amazing. And we have had lots of nice size rabbit eye variety berries. We have to net for deer and birds...a lot of work but it really helps. We had lots of honey bees in our blueberries this past spring. It was great to just listen to them and watch em work the blooms. No late frost helped us out a lot and a fair amount of rain. We use drip irrigation which helps a lot.
As for the Traeger they are expensive..,ours is 5 yrs old now and it’s been a good one.

B7B089E7-4048-4768-A5A8-C3BBF1B9B80A.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg