Chemical dust and breathing

Seymour

Anyone else consider the white chemical based dust coating the entire interior upon delivery. I’ve been wiping it down but seems to be never ending. It seems breathing this dust is hazardous. Perhaps Oliver should consider a thorough cleaning of the interior prior to handing over a hazardous hull?

• Moderators

I'm sorry to hear that, and surprised.

If mine had been delivered with dust, I  wouldn't have accepted it.

Are you near Hohenwald still? I'd take a trip back, and have it cleaned.

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I’m surprised too.  No dust in ours when we picked up.  It was clean and shiny.  We do regular cleaning with glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth, but dust has not been a problem.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My trailer wasn't able to go through the normal prep before delivery and yet it was still clean inside, apart from some residue on a few spots that felt like paint overspray.  I'm wondering if they either missed the prep, or the trailer sat for a while in the factory afterwards.  The factory itself is pretty dusty. 

It could be that you have dust between the hulls, or even in the air ducts or AC that's being blown out into the interior.  That's something that has been brought up in the past, and has been a concern with some people with allergies.  Mine was pretty dusty between the hulls.  I've taken a couple of passes at vacuuming up dust and wiping things down within the hulls wherever I can reach, and while I wasn't getting visible dust inside, that definitely reduced the fiberglass smell significantly.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Sitting around the factory is a good point.  We left ours for a week to get the Dexter installed and some other things.  When we picked it up there was some dust inside, I think just having the door open all the time for several days inside the factory will lead to dust.  So, they must have done a good cleaning job before we picked up.  

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

The inner cavities will certainly catch a lot of dust during manufacture, and if you tow on dirt roads some infiltration is inevitable. I vacuum everything I can reach annually. One thing I do with my cars before I do an interior detail is blow them out with compressed air. I park outside and open all the doors and other openings and blast the seats, carpet and headliner with air, and also the dash and the crannies, blowing the stuff outside.Then I vacuum and clean by hand as usual. I wonder if this could be done with an Ollie on a windy day, with everything opened up. I imagine there would be a significant cloud of dust but at least you could get it out of the really inaccessible parts.

“Mouse” was clean inside and out at delivery, but the “new boat smell” remained for a couple of years. That did not bother me at all, but I have noticed that it is finally gone.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 7 months later...

Lots and Lots and Lots of fiberglass dust  . . . .  it will be a big project to get it cleaned up.   We would have been happy to pay to receive a clean trailer.

• Like 1

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

Our was obviously cleaned but there was still quite a bit of dust in various places. We had ours delivered so who knows what shook out post cleaning during the 400 mile trip. They should really tape over the AV/DVD player during construction; the HDMI port, USB, and audio jack were caked in white powder. I can't imagine cleaning these for a living so I can seriously sympathize with any missed areas. White on white is hard to clean!

• Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

6 hours ago, georgelewisray said:

Lots and Lots and Lots of fiberglass dust  . . . .  it will be a big project to get it cleaned up.   We would have been happy to pay to receive a clean trailer.

Ditto.  Been cleaning up the dust constantly since the day we picked up and will be for the foreseeable future.  It can't be cleaned out easily since it's coming out of the basement when it gets stirred up driving or running the furnace, etc.  Some areas of the basement are not reachable and I can still see literally piles of white fiberglass dust in corners of the basement I can't get to with a vacuum or damp rag.

• Like 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Any thoughts on how effective something like this would be for those hard to reach places?  I also have a Fein shop vac that has a narrow diameter hose that's seriously long.  I wonder if this could be carefully snaked into the hull without dislodging anything?  My wife has allergies and probably won't do well with excessive fiberglass dust.  

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Crevice-Tool-Attachment-32-1832-67/dp/B075L7N5ZY

• Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

On 3/10/2021 at 6:25 PM, georgelewisray said:

Yup... me too.. crazy amount of dust down below... no need of it. If I’d taken the trailer home after picking it up I’d have been able to do a real clean up... blast out with compressed air, fans, vac.. whatever it would take.. but we will have been on the road almost 5 months before that happens. What I wonder about is impact on the inverter and or furnace that are likely sucking the stuff into themselves

• Like 4

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

On 3/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, Mcb said:

Yup... me too.. crazy amount of dust down below... no need of it. If I’d taken the trailer home after picking it up I’d have been able to do a real clean up... blast out with compressed air, fans, vac.. whatever it would take.. but we will have been on the road almost 5 months before that happens. What I wonder about is impact on the inverter and or furnace that are likely sucking the stuff into themselves

although we have not experienced this, we have a "Hurricane Lint Lizard - Lint Dryer Vacuum Attachment", which we use "as directed", it is good for getting in difficult places.

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SNY SD UP said:

"Hurricane Lint Lizard - Lint Dryer Vacuum Attachment"

This makes for another "visual" that is somehow inappropriate. 😳

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Dust? Yes its every where not just in the Ollie in your house your car and on you. Clean the best you can. Guess what, it will be back tomorrow. One of those unfortunate things in life that your never get away from. Unless your bubble boy. 😉

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

41 minutes ago, Landrover said:

Dust? Yes its every where not just in the Ollie in your house your car and on you. Clean the best you can. Guess what, it will be back tomorrow. One of those unfortunate things in life that your never get away from. Unless your bubble boy. 😉

Sure is, I’m a dusty guy.. And I’ve enjoyed cleaning the Mangrove dust from Florida, the red dust from New Mexico, and what seems like about a half pound of the state of Arizona from the inside of our Ollie. It means I’m on the move, and happy for it. 
I just think, and it is after all only my opinion, that Oliver could deliver trailers without quite as much fiberglass dust.... 

• Like 4

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

On 7/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, John E Davies said:

The inner cavities will certainly catch a lot of dust during manufacture, and if you tow on dirt roads some infiltration is inevitable. I vacuum everything I can reach annually. One thing I do with my cars before I do an interior detail is blow them out with compressed air. I park outside and open all the doors and other openings and blast the seats, carpet and headliner with air, and also the dash and the crannies, blowing the stuff outside.Then I vacuum and clean by hand as usual. I wonder if this could be done with an Ollie on a windy day, with everything opened up. I imagine there would be a significant cloud of dust but at least you could get it out of the really inaccessible parts.

“Mouse” was clean inside and out at delivery, but the “new boat smell” remained for a couple of years. That did not bother me at all, but I have noticed that it is finally gone.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Glad you mention the "new boat smell".  This is the first thing we noticed when first stepping into our new Oliver.  Not a bad smell, to me, as it brings back memories of my dad's workshop - the resin smell 😍  

I expect it to dissipate some when the door and windows are open, but that won't be until we get a bit of better weather.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, Overland said:

My trailer wasn't able to go through the normal prep before delivery and yet it was still clean inside, apart from some residue on a few spots that felt like paint overspray.  I'm wondering if they either missed the prep, or the trailer sat for a while in the factory afterwards.  The factory itself is pretty dusty. 

It could be that you have dust between the hulls, or even in the air ducts or AC that's being blown out into the interior.  That's something that has been brought up in the past, and has been a concern with some people with allergies.  Mine was pretty dusty between the hulls.  I've taken a couple of passes at vacuuming up dust and wiping things down within the hulls wherever I can reach, and while I wasn't getting visible dust inside, that definitely reduced the fiberglass smell significantly.

How do you vacuum between the hulls? 

Yvette & Rich

LE2 Hull 721

TV 2022 Chevy Silverado 

• Moderator+
On 7/21/2020 at 3:17 PM, Seymour said:

Anyone else consider the white chemical based dust coating the entire interior upon delivery. I’ve been wiping it down but seems to be never ending. It seems breathing this dust is hazardous. Perhaps Oliver should consider a thorough cleaning of the interior prior to handing over a hazardous hull?

So you show up on July 21, 2020, make vague claims, "It seems...should consider...hazardous hull" that apparently nobody but you has experienced and then disappear the next day never to be seen or heard from again.

• Last visited

July 22, 2020

Hmmm

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

6 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

So you show up on July 21, 2020, make vague claims, "It seems...should consider...hazardous hull" that apparently nobody but you has experienced and then disappear the next day never to be seen or heard from again.

• Last visited

July 22, 2020

Hmmm

FYI… He died in a car accident not long (months) after taking delivery.  His trailer was moved to CO by his daughter and purchased by one of our members this past Dec/Jan.   I believe it now resides South of Denver. 

• Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

7 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

• Last visited

July 22, 2020

Hmmm

Hmmm?  Did you even bother to read the rest of the post?  Many of us that took delivery in 2020 had lots of fiberglass dust.  

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

11 hours ago, Yvette D said:

How do you vacuum between the hulls? 

Well. it's as tedious as you might think.  Basically just using brush tool and crevice tool on the end of the vacuum hose.  A brush tool definitely works better since the dust sticks well to whatever it attaches to.  Most of the cleaning I did with dust cloths, though, just wherever I could reach.  Since I've done a lot of modifications, I've had things like plumbing and air ducts out, which makes cleaning up underneath and around things much easier.  Still some places I can't get to, and never will.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, John E Davies said:

I vacuum everything I can reach annually. One thing I do with my cars before I do an interior detail is blow them out with compressed air. I park outside and open all the doors and other openings and blast the seats, carpet and headliner with air, and also the dash and the crannies, blowing the stuff outside.Then I vacuum and clean by hand as usual. I wonder if this could be done with an Ollie on a windy day, with everything opened up. I imagine there would be a significant cloud of dust but at least you could get it out of the really inaccessible parts.

3 hours ago, Overland said:

Well. it's as tedious as you might think.  Basically just using brush tool and crevice tool on the end of the vacuum hose.  A brush tool definitely works better since the dust sticks well to whatever it attaches to.  Most of the cleaning I did with dust cloths, though, just wherever I could reach.  Since I've done a lot of modifications, I've had things like plumbing and air ducts out, which makes cleaning up underneath and around things much easier.  Still some places I can't get to, and never will.  

John and Overland,

Good ideas!

• Like 1

LE2