Chemical dust and breathing

Seymour

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, NCeagle said:

Hmmm?  Did you even bother to read the rest of the post?  Many of us that took delivery in 2020 had lots of fiberglass dust.  

Actually, I read every post and have just done so again. I’m still seeing the majority claim they had no problems.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

3 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

I’m still seeing the majority claim they had no problems.

Maybe it's a delivery date  based difference? Us newer trailer owners seem to consistently have a LOT of dust based on comments in the thread.  In mine it was on some uncovered surfaces in the interior but even  more so under the cushions  and  matresses and wow so so much in the cabinets and closet and even  more between the hulls. I spent quite a while using a brush and  a crevice tool on a shop vac and a dust rag to try to get as much  of it up as possible but as Overland notes there's quite a reserve supply  to be further scattered about in harder to reach areas between the hulls. While I'm impressed by how much Oliver got right on my trailer (and my net impression  is  overall positive when I look across all factors) I would be lying if I said I was anywhere near satisfied with how they cleaned up the construction dust.

I spent  some time building custom  and production furniture  and cabinetry and get how dusty work environments can be but I  also recall that we had a lot of procedures to ensure  that this did not impact the delivered product whether via dust specs embedded in a finish or in loose dust in nooks and crannies of cabinetry. The state of the dust in my  trailer came across as a BIG  corner being cut to me.

• Like 2

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

3 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Actually, I read every post and have just done so again. I’m still seeing the majority claim they had no problems.

Well, it's more than a few, so a large enough minority to just "write it off" IMHO.  It's pretty tough to survive in business just keeping the vague "majority" happy, especially these days.  One of the things I've learned reading this forum for well over a year now is that Oliver does pay attention to the owners.  If there are a handful of owners seeing excessive fiberglass dust in their new trailer, then maybe the Oliver team will want to address it.  It's not a tough thing to address unless you are unaware.  😉  I don't think any of the owners have said it's a problem per se, just a little bit of a bummer having to spend time cleaning up the dust right out of the showroom.  

I was one of the 2020 owners that had a lot of fiberglass dust in my Oliver when it was delivered, but I saw the dust along with some other minor things when we took delivery that I made a decision then and there to address myself rather than point them out and wait longer.  Covid certainly played a huge role in that decision.  When we picked up in mid-November, 2020, it was a ghost town in the Oliver sales office.  It was even mentioned to us at the time that some of the Oliver staff were out sick with Covid and they were short handed.  I know Covid was creating a lot of different challenges for every company out there. 

I think Oliver does an amazing job with the overall construction of the Ollie and didn't miss a beat in 2020 with regard to that.  I get the sense from my own experience and what I've read in the forums that the attention to detail may have slipped a bit here and there in 2020.   Again, it takes awareness before you can take action, so I'd bet Oliver would be happy to hear about easy things to fix like these.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

BTW in my cabinets it  was more than just dust. There were little bits of fiberglass that  I  quickly learned  would  quickly make nasty slivers in my skin in the  cabinets if I happened to slightly slide a finger in the wrong spot along the rubber mats or the  surfaces below them. That got me to quickly prioritize the full dust and debris bits cleanup.

• Thanks 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

• Moderators

I think 2020 presented some aberrations, as NCEagle mentioned. And, I feel bad for any of you who went away with fiberglass dust and slivers.

It shouldn't happen. But, obviously  happened to some. 

Hopefully,  Covid challenges won't continue.  

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We noticed a white powder which kept coming back in our trailer. When I removed the AC diffuser lots of white powder and larger particles fell out. There was a lot more where the hull had been cut to install the AC. I used a shop vac to remove as much of the debris as I could. I haven't noticed as much powder as before.

Jerry & Kathy

2019 LEII Standard #539 + 2019 Tundra Limited 4X4

• 2 weeks later...