Backup Cameras

DCKiefer

Any opinions on backup cameras? I played with the cheap Walmart version and it worked for two trips before it proved useless, got lucky and got my money back. I learned one thing from using it, if the camera is aimed straight off the back of the trailer the sun and headlights at night make it impossible to use.

Considering the unit at this link below. Well under $200 and the transmitter can be located away from the camera to get it closer to the tow vehicle. Only problem is no shielding from the sun or headlights.

http://www.4ucam.com/Wireless-Backup-Round-Camera-Color-Monitor-RV-Cam-Truck-Trailer-Rear-View-IR-Night-Vision.html

Any thoughts on the value of a backup camera would be most appreciated.

• Moderators

I've been using a system called "Swift Hitch" for the last year. While not cheap, it is failsafe. It works in daylight or complete darkness . . . I love it!

Here's a video of it working:

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is the least expensive backup camera system I have come across. For $140 you get a small round camera, seperate wireless transmitter, 20 foot cable extension(purchased seperately) and wireless monitor/reciever with mounts. The unit is intened to be used as a backup camera, but I have wired it so I can leave it on during towing and see what's going on behind the trailer. I will let you now in April how well the setup works and longer term road test will prove if this can be used as a perminent rearview camera.

Here is were I purchased the unit.

http://www.4ucam.com/index.html

Mounted the weather resistant camera on the rear bumper, should say double stuck for now.

Put the wireless transmitter on the front of the trailer in the propane compartment. Not sure of the weather resistance of this unit, so I will have to see how it goes. Took power from inside and have a switch so the camera and transmitter can be turned off when not in use. Ran the cable to the camer under the trailer, you can follow the proprane line or frame.

Here is the monitor with the image being recieved. Not bad with the transmitter being inside a closed area. I'll post an update in April about the units performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to keep this topic fresh. I will heading out next week for the Smokies. When I return I will give an update of how this reasonable camera system performed. Until then, if you come up behind an Oliver watch out it might be me and I'll hopefully have an eye on you.

Hello to all,

Now being a 3 day owner I can speak from first hand experience on the cameras. Because of all the excellent suggestions and thoughts before purchasing, I chose having the factory guys install the camera. (Instead of me figuring out what I needed to ask for and what I wanted and installed a a later date). I had it on all the way home. I arrived home at 8:00 CST this morning (Wednesday) (Pick up was Monday but details of that special experience will have to addressed later where I would like to share the what??? I was first to have installed. Not trying to make you guys jealous or anything!! Anyway, just being able to see what was behind Revilo as I was driving home was comforting. I felt it was an extra safety feature. I hadn't thought about it particulary but when I showed Revilo to the grandkids this morning they put on their own show for the camera. Another reason it is worth every penny. Safety of anybody who might accidentally walk behind it that the driver wasn't aware of. I highly recommend the backup camera system. It doesn't provide blue ray disc picture perfection but the driver is aware of what is going on behind Oliver as you are driving down the road or stationary getting ready to move Oliver. jam49 P.S.Because I have had very little sleep the last 3 days, I feel a need to retire for the night. But just in case you can't wait to find out my special installation (sorry for getting off topic) you might ask Steve and Tali. Regards, Jam49

Hi Tom,

The factory-installed backup camera that I have is the Voyager, http://www.asaelectronics.com (1-800-688-3135). It wasn't cheap but to me was well worth me having the Oliver crew install it. There are so many things talked about on the forum that I get the general idea about whether an idea is good or not for me and the backup camera was a good idea. I am very technically challenged so I have to rely on others to help. I had it on as I left during the day and all night as I traveled home. I always knew when something was behind Revilo and I tried to be even more cautious while driving. Hope this helped. Jam49

• Moderators

There are two types of "back up cameras" we are talking about:

1 - The one that allows a solo traveler snug up to the Ollie's bulldog hitch without putting a ding in the TV.

2 - The one that allows the TV driver to see the traffic behind the Ollie and the distance to the nearest tree behind your campsite while backing the whole rig. (It also gives visuals to other cars behind you as you go down the road)

They both have their advantages. What I like about the Swift Hitch system is that it can act as both, depending on where I mount it and whether I am backing up the truck to the trailer or the trailer to a tight campsite. (Not used while going down the road) Since it is magnetic mounted, for the latter I put a metal washer on the aluminum bumper for a mounting point.

For the solo travelers with the type 2 system, what do you use for hook up assistance day & night?

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

We have the factory installed Voyager camera and receiver on our unit and I really like it. It provides a wide angle view of everything behind the trailer and I keep it on all the time while towing, using it as a rear view mirror.

I would not call it essential, but I would not choose to be without it. Sometimes I forget to turn the camera on when I first take off with the trailer in tow, and when I do I pull the rig over and turn it on ASAP. It gives me much comfort knowing what is behind my trailer at all times.

It provides audio as well as video feed to the receiver. The screen brightness and the audio volume are both adjustable on the receiver, which is easily mounted with a suction cup to the windshield, with the bottom of the receiver resting on the dashboard.

I recommend it highly.

• Moderators

Tom,

You're correct on why I don't use the Swift Hitch going down the highway. Wouldn't want to lose it due since it's a magnetic mount. Also, it runs on an internal battery, so I'm not sure how long it would last in a constant video mode.

You're right, if you had one for use, Karen's ticket sales for the show would go WAY down . . . remember I was on the Natches Trace when you sowed up for you're maiden voyage ;)

How about this? Buy the backup camera but have Karen back up the Ollie as you sell the tickets! Who knows, you may triple the receipts. :lol:

I have found that instead of placing the camera on the rear bumper washer for tight spots I'd rather step out of the truck and get a personal look at the obstacles in all areas (rear, right, left, and above). If I need to ensure I don't hit that tree behind the Wonder Egg I pace off the distance and then repeat that pace from out my driver's door toward the rear and place down a marker. I then simply back up until I'm abeam the marker. Simple, yet effective.

Here is my follow-up on this product. Reception to the reciever was great, but this unit does seem to only be intned as a backup camera. After being left on for several hours condensation developed on the inside of the glass covering the camera. I dried the camer out with some improvement. I going to try and dry it out over a dehumidifer then really make sure it is sealed good. You get what you pay for and I have something that almost works. Not going to give up on it yet. Works great if I can get rid of the condensation.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about leaving the monitor attached to the front wind shield when it is real hot or real cold. Other than the concern about somebody wanting to take it, is it made to withstand extremes of temperatures? I have been taking it down when I am not pulling Revilo. I am concerned about how long the plastic suction cup will last if I keep taking off the window. Any thoughts? thanks, Jam49

If it's a quality product, I wouldn't worry about it. Just think about all the factory-installed GPS screens that are permanent to the vehicle.

Like you said, the biggest reason to remove it is to avoid theft.

Herm

• 9 years later...