Fiberglass/Gelcoat Repairs

Josiah

I have a couple chips/nicks and screw holes that I'd like to repair (interior/exterior). In addition I am needing to change the size of the upper cabinet door openings to accommodate different doors. Any suggestions/recommendations. Also wondering about color matching the gelcoat. I have done a very small  amount of fiberglass work but it has been many years ago. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've had two gelcoat repairs done at the factory.  One of them matches perfectly and the other is a slight bit yellower.  Fortunately the yellower one is on the roof, so I only see it when I wash the trailer.

And I think that's what Oliver will tell you - that it's a bit hit and miss with the color matching.  In fact, that's exactly what they've told me.  

Apart from Oliver, any marine fiberglass repair shop could also do the work, with probably the same disclaimer on color matching.  

• Moderators

For screw holes that don't show a lot, I'd actually recommend  marine tex epoxy. It's white. Might not be the same white, not shiny, but it will definitely seal the hole. And much less noticeable than a deep black hole. If you decide later that you don't like the color match, you will have to sand it to rough it up to get a secondary bond. Gelcoat is brittle. It doesn't like to bond to a lot of material,  including marine tex. That said, if we have to fill old screw holes on the boat, epoxy if some kind  ( often marine tex) is our go to, because it will seal and stay.

You can buy gel coat repair kits, tinted or untinted. They're not cheap, and for deeper "wounds", require buildup of layers for proper repair. If you just glob it in to a deep hole or gash, it will likely just look good for awhile, and then part ways . If you buy untinted and colorant, you're really on your own, because the color is different  wet than when it dries .

We've had a few scratches in noticeable areas repaired at Oliver. They did a great job, and I  can't see the difference. They did the buildup in layers, so it took a couple days. And did the proper wet sand and buffing.

Where are your repairs needed? Noticeable areas?

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for the replies! @SeaDawg I have several small screw holes around all of the upper cabinet doors and 1or 2 chips in the fiberglass on the exterior (front). I am up in MT, a little further than I am willing to go to have the factory make the repairs...

• Moderators

I totally get that. A long way to go for a few little holes.

You might want to try a small tube of marine tex (Amazon and lots of other places) on the screw holes, and see what you think.

Here's a good YouTube on repairing holes in a white hull with marine tex. Good luck.

Like I said, worst that happens is you hate it, and sand it and do the tedious gel coat repair over the top. You still have to fill the hole. 

Or, take it to a boatyard. Just guessing there aren't many in Montana. 

Good luck!

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.