GMC 2500 Sierra Gas requirements for towing

jo79RI

Hello All.  I will be towing with a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Gas truck.  What do I need to purchase for a ball when I drive down to Tennesee?  Also, is the Anderson hitch worth ordering for this TV?  I have seen various posts for balls and ones that can be lowered, so I am not sure which to order.  Seems to me as if the truck and Oliver Elite Ii are both about 23 inches at the towing connection?

31 minutes ago, jo79RI said:

What do I need to purchase for a ball when I drive down to Tennesee?  Also, is the Anderson hitch worth ordering for this TV? 

One of these and no.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

I should add that, based on your connection height, you'll only need the Small Adjustment model.

Edited by bhncb
  • Like 1

The only reason you need an adjustable mount is if you plan to use it on multiple trailers. A simple fixed ball mount and a regular ball are fine. I prefer an extended (extra long) shank so I can stack hardened Grade 8 flat washers under the ball as needed to fine tune the height. The fancy hitches are expensive and beautiful, but more prone to theft and harder to store away when not plugged into your receiver. 

You need to base your mount choice on the distance to the top of the receiver when the truck is heavily laden, as if for a long road trip, not when it is sitting empty in your garage.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

17 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

The only reason you need an adjustable mount is if you plan to use it on multiple trailers. A simple fixed ball mount and a regular ball are fine. I prefer an extended (extra long) shank so I can stack hardened Grade 8 flat washers under the ball as needed to fine tune the height. The fancy hitches are expensive and beautiful, but more prone to theft and harder to store away when not plugged into your receiver. 

You need to base your mount choice on the distance to the top of the receiver when the truck is heavily laden, as if for a long road trip, not when it is sitting empty in your garage.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Spot on.  I use a fixed mount. Works great.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I have the stow and tow and like it! But, as mentioned, I tow (Well, I WILL tow) 3 different trailers with 3 different heights. So, the hitch comes in handy.  Works great! However, I will say the long hitch has bottomed out several times. 

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

• Moderator+

We have 4 different trailers that can be pulled by either of our two trucks. Three have 2 inch couplers and the Oliver has a 2-5/16 inch bulldog. The receiver on our 2500 (as on yours) is a 2-1/2" shank. You do not want to use a sleeve to reduce it to 2 inches. Buy your hitch accordingly. We bought this one. We need the adjustability for our different trailers. But I would have bought it anyway because it's pretty. 😄

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 11:41 PM, DCdude said:

I have the stow and tow and like it! But, as mentioned, I tow (Well, I WILL tow) 3 different trailers with 3 different heights. So, the hitch comes in handy.  Works great! However, I will say the long hitch has bottomed out several times. 

On 7/28/2020 at 1:32 PM, Landrover said:

I agree excellent hitch.

The 2.5 hitch only comes with the medium adjustment.  Would that be the one to get?

3 hours ago, jo79RI said:

From what I understand, one would order the 2.5 inch hitch, medium, with the 2-2 5/16 inch ball?

Ollies come with a 2 “ coupler, you can have that changed to the larger size at delivery if you pay for it. Which I recommend doing.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

5 hours ago, jo79RI said:

The 2.5 hitch only comes with the medium adjustment.  Would that be the one to get?

Consider tailgate interference with the hitch if the rack has to be used in the rise position. Not knowing exactly what the distance is from the top of your receiver opening to the ground, I'm guessing you're going to need a drop or rise near mid-range. I.e. You may need to use either the highest drop (0"), or lowest rise (+1"), rack position to achieve an optimum ball height.

Do these B & M hitches rattle when not towing or with a really light tongue weight? How much slop do they have in the adjustment mechanism? I can’t tolerate a clattering hitch.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies