Favorite Camp Kitchen Tools

SeaDawg

• Moderators

I ordered a new salt and pepper shaker set by Josep Joseph last year. The tiny units stick together with magnets, seal well, and are easy to refill. Fits in my pocket, or in the condiment basket easily. Probably designed for lunch boxes, it's  perfect for small spaces

Holds enough s and p for at least several weeks, for us. (And, room for rice grains in the salt shaker to help with summer humidity.)

It's on sale at bed bath and beyond for $5 right now.

My other latest favorite is a manual zoodle maker. I don't like making pasta in the camper, and we both like zucchini noodles, anyway. I got this little gadget last year at TJ Maxx. I can cook the zoodles in foil, on the fire, or a quick saute in a pan on the stove, with olive oil and herbs. Very small,  no power needed. Available from many places, about $10 on Amazon. 

The s and p has replaced the old Tupperware sealed minis. Less than half the space .

Favorite items you keep in the kitchen?

20200728_161137.jpg

20200726_200313.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Your Comandante coffee grinder is beautiful! 

I know you and your wife often live and work from your trailer. That makes it an investment,  not a splurge.  A month or two without Starbucks surely  recovers the cost.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

6 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

salt and pepper shaker set by Josep Joseph last year.

My other latest favorite is a manual zoodle maker. I don't like making pasta in the camper, and we both like zucchini noodles, anyway. I got this little gadget last year at TJ Maxx. I can cook the zoodles in foil, on the fire, or a quick saute in a pan on the stove, with olive oil and herbs. Very small,  no power needed. Available from many places, about $10 on Amazon. 

The s and p has replaced the old Tupperware sealed minis. Less than half the space .

Favorite items you keep in the kitchen?

20200728_161137.jpg

20200726_200313.jpg

The grandkids gave me the same zoodle maker for my birthday (they like shopping at TJMax, too), but I can't seem to get the hang of making it work.  The zucchini's are going crazy in the garden, so I'll give it another try.  Maybe it will work better with fresh zucchini rather than the limp ones you get at the store.  Or, maybe I just don't like veggie noodles 😁

We gave up the tupperware shakers for these by GSI.  They are compact and seem to seal moisture out well.  I think I found them at Sierra Trading Post Online, but I don't see them there now. 

Spices shakers.JPG

Last, but not least are these silicone bakers.  I did a lot of online searching before finding these at Nautical Scout.com.  They cost a bit more than the abundant "made in China" versions, but are very good quality (made in France).  The can be used in the microwave and toaster oven (temps up to 425 deg).  Not for use with direct heat (stovetop or broiler).  I use them at home and in the RV.  They take up little precious space.  Great for steaming vegetables and heating up leftovers.

428823758_MultiCookers.thumb.JPG.8221133169e3121c1735cc81958dbd25.JPG

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 3

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

...I can't seem to get the hang of making it work.

I find the zoodle maker works best with the large cutter end, and with zucchinis or yellow squash the size of cucumbers. I never use the pronged pusher cap that comes with it. When I  get to the point that I  might skin my fingers or knuckles with the blade, I remove the little chunk of zucchini and just chop it up to use in the salad. The pusher cap's prongs are not very effective,  imo.

I like the GSI spice containers you showed. I've been thinking about getting something to corral smaller amounts if spices in the trailer kitchen. Taking normal size bottles wastes so much storage space. I'm usually refilling my small containers from Costco sized containers anyway, so the transfer process is no big deal.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I've been thinking about getting something to corral smaller amounts if spices in the trailer kitchen.

I have a small rectangular basket, 11 L x 5.5 W x 3 D, that I keep in an overhead cabinet.  It holds olive oil, a small jar of honey, herbs and spices and toothpick dispenser.   It has grab slots on each end so it's easy to pull out when cooking.  The basket came as a set, from Marshall's or Ross. The little spice jars are from Ikea.

Thanks for the Zoodle tips.  I'll give it a try tonight.  Do you steam the "noodles"?  How long?

P1510185.JPG

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

I tried steaming zoodles, but thought they got mushy. I like the texture better (more like al dente pasta) if I do a very quick saute in a little olive oil. 

When I process the zucchini, I  twist over a bowl lined with a paper towel, so I can remove some of the moisture before cooking.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So I  got this GSI spice rocket, via Amazon, today. I'm going to try it for the next trip. A half ounce of some spices is plenty for two or three weeks. I can double up on some that I use more.

If properly closed, it's supposed to be watertight. Six spices, in the space of one container, more or less. 

I'll see bring larger bottles of items that I use a lot of (Mrs. DASH, MRS. Dash Chipotle Sw, etc.) But it should, hopefully,  free up some room.

If I  really like it, I'll get another. It's discontinued,  so, I will have to decide soon.

Sherry

20200808_125925.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

If you use a food scale on the road, you need one of these.  If you're like me and weigh your coffee beans or weigh food for dietary needs, this little scale is awesome!

I just might have to get another.  When I ordered mine, I had to settle for Pea Green.  The white will look much better in the Oliver Galley.  I can always give the green model to one of my daughters-in-law. I'm kidding 😁

triscale.jpg

Joseph Joseph Tri-scale.jpg

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

If you use a food scale on the road, you need one of these.  If you're like me and weigh your coffee beans or weigh your food for dietary needs, this little scale is awesome!

I just might have to get another.  When I ordered mine, I had to settle for Pea Green.  The white will look much better in the Oliver Galley.  I can always give the green model to one of my daughters-in-law. I'm kidding 😁

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

So far, I'm really liking the spice rocket.

I put all the pieces in the dishwasher at home when I  received it, and nothing warped or melted.

Filling the little half sections wasn't too bad, as a small spoon fits fine, though using a small funnel would probably be easier. I don't have a funnel in the Ollie.

The little rocket takes the place of all these bottles. Frees up a lot of space.

We've had lots of rain, and spices are fine so far. I think I will order another. I can then  "double up" on the spices I use most, and leave all the big jars at home.

Edit to add: six months later, and several rainy camping trips later, the spices haven't clumped. Garlic, especially,  usually hardens in the container.  Very pleased with this.

20200816_100042.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Update
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4