Electric Awnings

Fritz

I believe Girard's plants are in Alabama.  

Could be that Dometic's relocation was going to cause some product delays, which caused Oliver to look around, or it could just be that Girard's sales department did a good job getting a new client.  It does seem like Oliver had been consolidating around Dometic products lately, but that could just be coincidence.

I'm curious to see them.  Personally, I'm pretty happy with my Carefree.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Overland said:

I believe Girard's plants are in Alabama.  

Could be that Dometic's relocation was going to cause some product delays, which caused Oliver to look around, or it could just be that Girard's sales department did a good job getting a new client.  It does seem like Oliver had been consolidating around Domestic products lately, but that could just be coincidence.

I'm curious to see them.  Personally, I'm pretty happy with my Carefree.

Dometic off shored the La Grange Indiana factory.  Maybe Oliver just decided to support the US RV industry.

• Like 1

Considering they’ve switched from Italian awnings to American to Swedish then back to American, I’m doubting it’s an ideology based decision. Maybe it’s just a world tour. 

Or, they could just be better awnings. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 6:49 PM, Jairon said:

Thanks! If I get specifics, I'll update the thread.

I had a call from Rodney Lomax yesterday asking if we'd like to bump up our build date a couple of months . . . . Of course I said yes!

Consequently, we need to decide on our options and submit our order by the end of the month.  I told him we had a 2021 build sheet, but it didn't reflect the awning changes and he sent a new one.  I asked the differences in the standard powered awning and the powered pro awning (upgrade).  Standard - vinyl fabric; LED light strip; power switch inside (no remote).  Pro - canvas fabric; LED light strip; remote control (I didn't ask if it also had a hard wired switch); wind sensor.

Maybe from this info, you can tell which Girard models they are; there aren't many listed on their site.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We have a 2019 Elite II and the power awning is made by Dometic, I believe.  Has Oliver changed to a different provider?

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

8 hours ago, KWRJRPE said:

We have a 2019 Elite II and the power awning is made by Dometic, I believe.  Has Oliver changed to a different provider?

Yes, for 2021.  I will be talking with my sales rep today or tomorrow; I will get more details.  

Update:  Both the powered standard awning and powered pro awning are made by Girard.  The standard has vinyl fabric (grey), LED lights, manual override with crank and power switch inside the trailer.  The the Pro upgrade is canvas fabric, has LED lights, manual override with crank wind sensor, and manual override with crank.  I asked, since they are legless awnings, if there was a way to tilt them slightly so moisture can run off.  No adjustment needed; they are designed to be installed slightly lower on one side so they naturally shed water, though not intended for heaving rain or snow.  I also asked if either could be used entirely with manual crank.  The answer was that the crank/manual operation is only for emergency use, when power is not available, or in the case of motor failure.

I asked if the pro awning, with remote, could also be powered from a switch in the trailer (in the even the remote fails or gets lost).  I did not get a for certain answer, but since we are opting for the standard non-remote awning, I didn't request that info.

Forgot to ask the model numbers.  

Edited by Susan Huff
Update
  • Like 3

Ray and Susan Huff

If it is the GG 750, the 15 foot or larger model uses 3 arms. Anything smaller than that would be 2 arms. I wonder if they kept the awning 15 feet or opted for 14 feet to cut costs.

Edited by Jairon
  • Thanks 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Jairon said:

If it is the GG 750, the 15 foot or larger model uses 3 arms. Anything smaller than that would be 2 arms. I wonder if they kept the awning 15 feet or opted for 14 feet to cut costs.

That's a very worthwhile question.

The center arm  of our little awning really helps with support and stretch, imo.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thank you everyone that contributed to this thread.  If we order I'm sure we'll be happy with the the Girard (especially in that it can't be deleted from the build).  But perhaps today's posting about a dead Dometic awning illustrates the benefits of a simple, sturdy, high-quality manual-crank alternative -- a simpler awning that gets the job done with less risk of failure...

• Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

52 minutes ago, Fritz said:

Thank you everyone that contributed to this thread.  If we order I'm sure we'll be happy with the the Girard (especially in that it can't be deleted from the build).  But perhaps today's posting about a dead Dometic awning illustrates the benefits of a simple, sturdy, high-quality manual-crank alternative -- a simpler awning that gets the job done with less risk of failure...

I agree . . . . . a good option, if the powered awning ever fails, replace it for a manual one.   

Ray and Susan Huff

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jairon said:

It is the Girard GG750 according to the owners manual in the University and the length I have learned from Sales is 16' on the Elite II.

• Thanks 3

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

1 hour ago, NCeagle said:

the length I have learned from Sales is 16' on the Elite II.

I'm honestly surprised they went with the 16'. The cost difference is substantial. Assuming the quality is on par or better than the Dometic, good on them. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

We have an older unit with a manual system. It takes under a minute to deploy or retract. That said, and with arms, we still bring it in overnight. There are plenty of sailboats out there that heel over and scoot through the water with less fabric out there. And if you hear yours start to luff during the night, you best be getting up. Hate to think of the Oliver heeling over, and 'scooting' through the campground.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, NCeagle said:

It is the Girard GG750 according to the owners manual in the University and the length I have learned from Sales is 16' on the Elite II.

If 16' then it should have 3 arms?

Ray and Susan Huff

13 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Hate to think of the Oliver heeling over, and 'scooting' through the campground.

That would be quite a ride!

Ray and Susan Huff

If the awning is installed with a slant, can you choose which way? I would have to assume it slants lower at the back so that it doesn't interfere with the opening of the door. Does it look funny when retracted? What if someone want s it slanted toward the front? I must admit I like being able be to till ours which ever way we like. 

I believe it was a workplace incidence that required the first change in awning manufacture. It was a needed hurry up to continue production.

Edited by Mainiac

39 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

I believe it was a workplace incidence that required the first change in awning manufacture. It was a needed hurry up to continue production.

Can you expand on that a bit? An incident at Oliver or at Dometic?

Thanks!

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

Oliver went from Fiamma to Carefree to Dometic to I guess now Girard. The switch from Fiamma was due to the terrible tragedy there and our trailer was one of the first with the Carefree.

I’m not sure why Oliver switched from them. We’ve been happy with our Carefree and especially so with the Recaril fabric that you can’t seem to get with any other awning. It’s much tighter woven than Sunbrella and hasn’t stretched a bit since we’ve gotten it.  It’s taut enough that we don’t need to slope the awning in the rain. 

• Like 2

Just theorizing here - or, maybe it’s awning gossip?  I read earlier that Girard’s new plant was built in Alabama.  A couple of days ago, we got the call from sales that our awning will be switched to Girard. In just a few clicks it all made better sense. 

Their new plant is in Red Bay, AL, home of Tiffin Motorhomes and the corporate office for Van Leigh trailers. I would assume they have struck up a long term deal. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure there’s not another RV manufacturer in Red Bay. So that puts Girard just down the road from Hohenwald.  I’d say they can make a good deal to Oliver and, I think Tiffin uses quality products.  They have a long reputation to uphold.

• Like 2

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

• 7 months later...

RV unsupported awnings . . . Trying to understand their strengths and weaknesses. . . . and next the proper adjustment.

Elite II #751 - 2020 Girard Awning Model GG750 w/ 3 support arms.

Oliver adjusted the angle of the street side awning at factory when we pointed out the angles did not match between street & curb. They decided the street side was the wrong/incorrect one . They ( Jason & assistant ) provided no advice or commentary about what was considered normal/proper.

Recently , In a steady drizzle and with trailer level I extended the awning about about 3 feet to provide what seemed a wonderful dry protected place.

A bit later I noticed the fabric ( Std model brownish ?vinyl? ) sagging and so reeled in the awning and the water in the sag pocket POURED right down on me standing in the open door. I was and still am unimpressed but have yet to sort out what to expect from this type of awning that seems to be the current standard in the RV industry,

Years ago I had an old airstream with Zip Dee awning that had support arms. I did not use it much as the trailer and awning were both old and tired. However my recollection is that the Zip Dee would stay taut and sloped and so be just right to leave out in the rain ( wind is a different thing altogether but it does have support arms ).

I have reviewed the install/service manual but have yet to wrap my head around the nomenclature/parts/process. 

Notes:

Fabric :: We have vinyl? on the standard powered awnings. Would not have been our first choice but when we were ordering, no where that I saw made clear the difference in the standard and deluxe regarding fabric.

Manual Version :: Girard makes a manual version but my impression is that the shape of the Oliver does not permit access for the turning handle to connect into the bottom of the end cap of the awning. Not sure how this is different on older Oliver awnings with manual operation.

B. MANUAL OVERRIDE  -  1. In case of motor issues, the GG750 has a manual override to close the awning. 

2. Remove the endcap opposite the motor, by removing the 3 Philips head screws.

3. Usinga13mm wrench,turn the manual override shaft in order to close the awning, see Figure 10.

- - -  The manual override is one-way, it can only close the awning.

IMG_0627.thumb.jpg.6f090df151ba23f128db029c61611575.jpg

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <