Elite or Elite II

TexasGuy

So I am looking at fiberglass trailers and go back and forth on best Oliver model for me.    Will manly be myself and 40 lb dog.  Occasionally may have guest which single dinette can handle.   I like the smaller size of Elite and feels like it would be enough.   Down the road once I retire the bigger model may make sense if I spent more time on road.  

So those with Elite do you wish you got Elite II?  Any owners look at Escape and if so why did you choose Oliver?

TIA

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

If by yourself, the smaller trailer will definitely be easier to manage. Not that the LE2 is awkward, just that the extra length makes maneuvering (backing especially) a little more traumatic when solo. I love “Mouse” but if I were single I would more likely have the little one. Or a different RV entirely.

What is your proposed tow vehicle and how do you plan to camp? How much “stuff“ do you want to bring along? The smaller interior volume of the Elite makes the combined trailer/ TV cargo capacity much more important.

Welcome to the forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks for the reply John.

I am looking at F-150 or RAM 1500  with max towing packages right now.   I am in a good spot as my current daily driver will go to my son soon as planned and I definitely want to get back into a truck.  I could go up to 250/2500 but would really prefer 150/1500 as my daily driver. 150/1500 can handle towing weight just need to decide how much payload I want to have to for tongue weight, cargo and passengers.

• Like 1

I have never wished I had the larger LEII. The smaller LE is slightly more expensive (2709 per foot vs. 2446/ft), but full timing would justify the extra space and weight. The smaller trailer is very maneuverable and fits into smaller spaces. It also depends on how much stuff you want to carry. I tow with a medium sized Toyota Tacoma with comfort, so the TV options are many.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV

The single axle really has plenty of room for two, so I think for one + dog, it should be relatively luxurious.  At least it would be for me.  But the other advantages of the Elite II are a larger solar array, battery bank, and water tank.  I think if you're planing to boondock a good bit, then you should probably weigh those more heavily than the extra square footage - keeping in mind of course that plenty of people boondock just fine with an Elite I.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Dean said:

It’s all about more storage.

Not really.

We store extra stuff in the big truck bed. Leave the back dinette set up as a bed, and have room for three large crates of coats, bedding, etc, under the bed. 

We often travel with some empty cupboards. And we are two. Plus one or two small dogs .

It really depends on lifestyle, and, what you feel you have to have.

Not as much roof space on the Elite. But, we'll have 400 watts (non factory) on the roof soon. We've had 200 for 12 years.

Battery compartment is indeed smaller. But, we have room under the bed for extra lithium. Someday. . In the meantime,  we've  managed  primarily  without hookups for 12 plus years, with two group 27 agms.

Upside? Wider selection of tow vehicles. Smaller footprint. Smaller campsites. 3 tires to maintain, instead of 5. No Anderson.

The places we fit are tiny. And, we're really happy with that. 

If I  were camping solo, the Elite would definitely be my choice. As a couple, I  would truly love to have a bigger bed. But, that's ok. We camp shoulder seasons, for the most part. The warmth of the slightly smaller bed is often welcome.

Height could be an issue, as the Elite allows less headroom. People of average height are ok, but over 6'1" or 6' 2" might have issues .

The side dinette is small as an extra bed. 24 or 25 inches wide, by 6' long. That could also be an issue, as an extra bunk.

Just my thoughts.

There are a number of solo campers here with Elites. I hope they will see this thread, and chime in. 

Sherry 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, TexasGuy said:

So those with Elite do you wish you got Elite II?  Any owners look at Escape and if so why did you choose Oliver?

No, we have never seriously thought about changing our 2008  to the bigger Elite II.

And, definitely,  would not think about the Escape. It's still a molded fiberglass hull, but that's about it for similarity. Boxy, Imo.  One hull, not double. Brown woody interior so like so many other rvs. Steel frame vs aluminum.  It just never appealed to us .

They do have a really nice group of owners,  and a nice forum. It's all about choices. 

If one rv worked for everyone,  there wouldn't be so many choices. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I appreciate all the comments.  I live in the Dallas area so actually went down to Casita factory this weekend since it is so close.     It was helpful to get a feel for size of 17ft trailer and see outside of a fiberglass trailer.   Cozy yes but doable for one plus a dog.   I can’t get past the carpet on ceiling/walls and the interior just isn’t me. Way too much wood and just can’t think carpet doesn’t get dirty.     Feature wise just way less which isn’t surprising given price point.  

i noticed Oliver has no vent hood over cooktop like some others.  I would think overhead Maxxfan would be sufficient to vent when cooking?  Any issues cooking inside the Oliver? I prefer to cook outside if weather is good.  

Thanks. 

The vent hood was a small concern for us as well but in practice it hasn’t been an issue since most things get grilled outside. The max fan does do a great job of keeping moisture out of the trailer when cooking. 

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

The older Elites, like ours, have a Fantastic fan, but in the same spot. 

It works well to draw out cooking odors and moisture. We also prefer to cook outside. But,, sometimes,  it's unavoidable.  

I much prefer turning the fan to high, than having a hood restricting my space. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Ditto on the hood/fan comments. We do cook inside when the weather doesn’t cooperate and the fan does a fine job. 
we also drove over to the Casita factory before we ordered our Oliver. It was interesting but we found that Oliver’s have a more open and larger feel than the Casita. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

What I've found over the last two years is our EII lives much larger than it would appear given its sqft.  The EI would most likely feel similar with 1 person or 2 folks that don't need lots of space for comfort. For my money, about the only advantage of the smaller O -  other than price, is the ability to tow with a smaller vehicle.  Both are very nimble in smaller spots. 

Ditto on the fan - works fine as a vent hood. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

The idea of the shorter Elite is intriguing . . . . . My thoughts:

• For two people, foul weather camping would be crowded.  
  • For solo use, can you manage with the smaller galley (no counter between the sink and stove) and without the large pantry between the dinette and the bed?". 

Those would be huge trade-offs for me.  However, as has been said before, it all depends on your style.

If you haven't yet, my best advice is to see each in person.  Oliver helped us arrange a visit with a locally owned Elite II Twin, which is the model we are considering.  We had some idea of the interior space, since it is similar in size to the cabin of our small motor home.  We mainly wanted to "try on" the twin beds, since they are 4" narrower than ours, check the bathroom size, and evaluate interior storage. 

Our reaction:

• The interior is more open than our MH which has the bathroom situated in the middle. 
  • The narrower beds are still roomy enough to be comfortable; I like that you can sleep with your head at either end (can't in our MH with wardrobes at the foot of each bed with a TV attached to one.
  • The bathroom is larger than the MH's split configuration (toilet and sink in one small space and stand-alone shower across the center aisle), discounted for the separate shower that we don't use much as a shower, but as a storage area, especially for wet items.
  • I was amazed at the interior storage.  The upper cabinets are much larger than I envisioned; the large galley drawers are easier to access than the under sink storage in our MH which has very small drawers;  the pantry is much larger than our pull-out; and the hanging closet larger than our two small wardrobes situated at the foot of each bed.
  • Our MH has 10x the exterior storage, but the tow vehicle will replace that.

Since you are considering another make of trailer, it is imperative that you see both, in person.  If you can't manage a tour of the Oliver plant, watch the video.  Look at an Escape before you see an Oliver.  The differences are amazing.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

If I were alone, I'd still go for the LE2 because:

1. I like my truck
  2. Dual Axle gives an added margin of safety - but the LE(1) still seems stable with a blowout
  3. More Solar
  4. Inside height (6'1" vs 6'6") (remember there is other stuff hanging down)
  5. Extra sleeping length
  6. Love the pantry - I like to eat.

I do wish the LE2 came with bigger tanks than the LE(1)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Between Olivers…