30 AMP ConveniencevConnection

Flyfisher

I am considering ordering a new Oliver and would want to be able to use a portable generator with it on occasion.  I assumed that the 30 AMP convenience connection option is what I would need to plug the trailer into a generator.  But maybe that’s not the case??

However, when I asked Oliver sales If the Oliver then had a transfer switch so you wouldn’t be connected at the same time to shore power as well as a generator, the answer was “...don’t know...never been asked that question before.”

So, is there a transfer switch on an Oliver?

Thanks,  John

Definitely there is. The sales department should know that if they don’t .

You don’t need the extra port to use a generator. You can use the standard port on the side of the trailer just the same. The extra port on the front just allows for an easier connection if you have your generator in the front basket or in your truck bed. 

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Thank you for your answer, Overland.  

I was surprised that the Oliver sales guy did not know about transfer switches.  We owned an Airstream a few years back that had a transfer switch that was improperly wired at the factory and it almost burned our trailer down.

1 hour ago, Flyfisher said:

the answer was “...don’t know...never been asked that question

Maybe the real question is???.. Did they find the answer? Or, if not, did they get back to you? I can see where someone in the "front" office might not know the answer to that question, but I can't believe they wouldn't follow through for you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Maybe the real question is???.. Did they find the answer? Or, if not, did they get back to you? I can see where someone in the "front" office might not know the answer to that question, but I can't believe they wouldn't follow through for you.

I wasn’t really expecting anyone to get back to me on that.  He did say that the Oliver was built to code, which I would assume would be a requirement for that 30 AMP convenience connection.  

I was expecting to receive a 2021order form and a brochure via email, however, which I have not yet received, but it has only been a day now.  (Patience isn’t one of my virtues. 😀)

The front tray used to be called a generator tray, then, presumably after consulting with the company lawyers, they renamed it a cargo tray. You aren’t supposed to run a portable generator that close to a living area, tho many people obviously do. A front 30 A connection would be handy if you run one in your pickup bed, for example. It does make the campsite look neater, without the cable running down half the length of the trailer. I did not see a need to buy that extra connection, but normally we run off 12 volts.

One thing I would add to a pre delivery inspection checklist is to have them show you that the transfer switch indeed is there and functioning correctly.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

10 minutes ago, Flyfisher said:

I wasn’t really expecting anyone to get back to me on that.  He did say that the Oliver was built to code, which I would assume would be a requirement for that 30 AMP convenience connection.  

I was expecting to receive a 2021order form and a brochure via email, however, which I have not yet received, but it has only been a day now.  (Patience isn’t one of my virtues. 😀)

It is my understanding Oliver is still finalizing the details of both the 2021 brochure and build worksheet.  I was given a 2021 price sheet, but it does not reflect the recent awning changes. 

I am certain everyone at Oliver is very busy right now, transitioning to a new model year.   Business goes on and changes make it difficult to keep on top of everything.  I imagine it's very much like the transition from one fiscal year to another.   Perhaps this will put it in perspective:

As a business manager for a small school district, the first months of transition - June, July, and August - were my least favorite time.  You are still working in last year's budget, accounting for receivables/payables from both budget years, preparing the new fiscal budget for submission to the State Dept, (deadline) and importing the new budget into accounting software.  There are new contracts to approve, purchase orders to process, forms to update, and then the chaos of a new school year.  Now the focus is on the new fiscal budget, but there are reports to compile for the annual audit of the prior year (deadline).  Once the audit is complete, and submitted to the State Dept (deadline), accounting data (last year's budget) must be uploaded to the State Dept (deadline).  Spreadsheets for projecting the next year's budget for presentation to administration and the budget committee (deadline)  Oh, and I forgot to mention, negotiating union contracts for two bargaining units, Federal grant reimbursements to process (deadline), administrative meetings, staff to supervise, questions to answer . . . . . . . .

Looking back on my career gives me an acute awareness of the things Oliver is faced with as they continue to build a quality travel trailer.  

In addition to the transition to a new model year, Oliver is most likely scrambling to get back up to speed after a month-long Covid-19 shut down. They are undoubtedly making modifications to their production line and office operations in order to provide a safe workplace during the pandemic.  I commend them for their perseverance and dedication.  As we all know this isn't a normal year. 

Like our school district, Oliver is a small operation; it behooves us all for Oliver to remain small so they can continue to build and support a superior product.  Yes, it's hard to wait.  Yes, we must be patient.  If it is any consolation, we are in the same situation. 

My mantra - "This too shall pass" - Persian adage, Americanized by Abraham Lincoln,

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

30 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

The front tray used to be called a generator tray, then, presumably after consulting with the company lawyers, they renamed it a cargo tray. You aren’t supposed to run a portable generator that close to a living area, tho many people obviously do. A front 30 A connection would be handy if you run one in your pickup bed, for example. It does make the campsite look neater, without the cable running down half the length of the trailer. I did not see a need to buy that extra connection, but normally we run off 12 volts.

One thing I would add to a pre delivery inspection checklist is to have them show you that the transfer switch indeed is there and functioning correctly.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I would certainly want to know where the transfer switch is located and that it is functioning properly.  I have a cap on the back of my truck so I wouldn’t intend to run it in there, but I do like the idea of having it on the ground in the front of the trailer so it is away from the bedroom area in the event I wanted to run it at night.  I would probably get a waterproof doggy sized tent and put it on the ground for the generator.  The propane tanks being up front is probably another reason not to run the generator in that front tray.

Edited by Flyfisher
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane WA

We would like to secure our portable generator to the pickup and use it from there.  My question is this: is the 25' power cord long enough to reach from the standard, street side plug on the trailer to a generator in the back of the tow vehicle?  I can see where perhaps this might be a problem, depending on how/where the tow vehicle is parked - perhaps diagonally across the driveway as might be necessary since ours is an F-350 long-bed crew cab.  Of course, times when the generator is used might be in a less restrictive site, such as boondocking.

Question for those with the additional 30 amp connection: does it come with an additional power cord?  If yes, length?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

8 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

It is my understanding Oliver is still finalizing the details of both the 2021 brochure and build worksheet.  I was given a 2021 price sheet, but it does not reflect the recent awning changes. 

I am certain everyone at Oliver is very busy right now, transitioning to a new model year.   Business goes on and changes make it difficult to keep on top of everything.  I imagine it's very much like the transition from one fiscal year to another.   Perhaps this will put it in perspective:

As a business manager for a small school district, the first months of transition - June, July, and August - were my least favorite time.  You are still working in last year's budget, accounting for receivables/payables from both budget years, preparing the new fiscal budget for submission to the State Dept, (deadline) and importing the new budget into accounting software.  There are new contracts to approve, purchase orders to process, forms to update, and then the chaos of a new school year.  Now the focus is on the new fiscal budget, but there are reports to compile for the annual audit of the prior year (deadline).  Once the audit is complete, and submitted to the State Dept (deadline), accounting data (last year's budget) must be uploaded to the State Dept (deadline).  Spreadsheets for projecting the next year's budget for presentation to administration and the budget committee (deadline)  Oh, and I forgot to mention, negotiating union contracts for two bargaining units, Federal grant reimbursements to process (deadline), administrative meetings, staff to supervise, questions to answer . . . . . . . .

Looking back on my career gives me an acute awareness of the things Oliver is faced with as they continue to build a quality travel trailer.  

In addition to the transition to a new model year, Oliver is most likely scrambling to get back up to speed after a month-long Covid-19 shut down. They are undoubtedly making modifications to their production line and office operations in order to provide a safe workplace during the pandemic.  I commend them for their perseverance and dedication.  As we all know this isn't a normal year. 

Like our school district, Oliver is a small operation; it behooves us all for Oliver to remain small so they can continue to build and support a superior product.  Yes, it's hard to wait.  Yes, we must be patient.  If it is any consolation, we are in the same situation. 

My mantra - "This too shall pass" - Persian adage, Americanized by Abraham Lincoln,

I was told, but I forget, the exact increase in number of units they’re building this year compared to last.   That does raise another significant question in my mind: namely quality control.

Increased production implies a number of additional, newly hired workers, and perhaps an increase in employee turnover.  I’m somewhat leary about having something (anything) built by a factory of new hires.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

I was told about a couple changes, like the addition of a smart TV in this coming year’s model, that I was not aware of.  So I’m sure there is a lot if that going on.

Susan, don’t you know that you’re supposed to forget all those stressful things from your former job when you retire/leave it?😀   I did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Susan, a 25 ft cord will normally be able to reach the side 30A receptacle, but it might be tight if the truck is parked on the entry side, you have the approximately 10 feet of distance across under the frame, and that only leaves 15 ft extra. A second cable is useful. I normally keep the heavy factory supplied (high quality, high theft risk) cable stored away and use this extra heavy gauge 15A cord with a Marinco adapter, and it has been working perfectly for four summers. You have to watch the load, but with the AC going and normal 12 volt loads it has never shown any sign of overheating. I would not suggest running the AC and the microwave simultaneously, but that would likely overload your generator and trip the breaker anyway.

I have used this as an extension cord for the big 25 foot cable, for a total of 50 feet, no worries, just don’t try to run the AC this way.... 10 AWG extension cord 25 feet

Be extremely wary of Chinese “No name” cords and adapters, they are often very substandard and will break or overheat. Constant high current loads need high quality components

John Davies

Spokane WA

8D0A3BC7-ECAC-4C21-AD73-24C18FD56967.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

37 minutes ago, Flyfisher said:

I was told about a couple changes, like the addition of a smart TV in this coming year’s model, that I was not aware of.  So I’m sure there is a lot if that going on.

Susan, don’t you know that you’re supposed to forget all those stressful things from your former job when you retire/leave it?😀   I did.

I was also told about the smart TV (vendor unknown).  It was also mentioned that there will be additional charging ports and "plug-ins" I assume that means 120v outlets?  Also a change in ultra-leather.  And the decor choices are now packaged, not ala carte.

I will email my sales rep and see where they stand on changes and if any more are expected.  

I do appreciate retirement . . . .  I loved my job, just not the stress, deadlines, and regulations.  Governmental accounting and financial management is definitely a challenge, but then I enjoyed the diversity of "wearing many hats"!

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, Flyfisher said:

I was told, but I forget, the exact increase in number of units they’re building this year compared to last.   That does raise another significant question in my mind: namely quality control.

Increased production implies a number of additional, newly hired workers, and perhaps an increase in employee turnover.  I’m somewhat leary about having something (anything) built by a factory of new hires.

I think this is part of the cause of being "really busy".  More people are purchasing RVs for travel, in lieu of cruises, flying, etc. because of the pandemic uncertainties.  With more mass produced RVs being sold, more people will realize the quality of such units and will be looking for something better.  I only hope Oliver does not allow increased production to undermine their reason for building Oliver trailers - quality and service.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Picked up our Ollie last week with the additional 30A plug and it does NOT come with an additional cord.  I purchased an additional 10' cord for generator use if needed.  

• Thanks 2

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

2 hours ago, gatorewc said:

Picked up our Ollie last week with the additional 30A plug and it does NOT come with an additional cord.  I purchased an additional 10' cord for generator use if needed.  

Thanks for the info

Did you purchase the 10' cord from Oliver or elsewhere?  Cost?

Ray and Susan Huff

Not sure why I would ever have the shore power cord AND the generator hooked up at the same time.  It's one or the other.  

If the shore power is not hooked up then there is no power feedback issue.

Curious though if there is in fact a transfer switch somewhere that I'm not aware of in my 2018 LE II.  

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Hobo,

I our 2019 Elite II, with the additional 30amp connection, there is a transfer switch under the rear dinette seat, along with the other electrical.

It is a black box about 8"x6"x3" mounted face up, on top of the wheel well.

Andrew

• Like 1

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

15 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Thanks for the info

Did you purchase the 10' cord from Oliver or elsewhere?  Cost?

Actually I ordered one from Amazon.  They have several for sale, I try to always stay away the the cheaper ones and go with a reputable company.  $44 NEMA.  L-5- 30.  30A/125V. 10AWG

Edited by gatorewc
  • Thanks 1

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

gatorewc, is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/NEMA-L5-30-Extension-Power-Cord/dp/B0047010CQ?th=1

That does look like a decent cable, and it is available in lots of lengths down to 3 feet. and made in the USA. Marinco makes a similar one, in 12 foot length, it is super quality but it is $230 ......😳. That Iron Box one is probably 90% as good for a quarter the price. However, it doesn’t have the threaded locking ring of a marine adapter, that may or may not bother you. I do prefer to spin down the lock ring mainly because it deters theft and helps keep out rain.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

Yes it is John.  I tried to copy and paste with my MacBook but couldn't copy.  I am sure operator error was in play.  I used it for about an hour or so with my Ollie and was satisfied.  Connection was warm but not hot.  90 degrees led to some of the temperature.   Thanks for your help!

• Thanks 1

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

• Moderators
6 hours ago, hobo said:

Not sure why I would ever have the shore power cord AND the generator hooked up at the same time.  It's one or the other.  

If the shore power is not hooked up then there is no power feedback issue.

Curious though if there is in fact a transfer switch somewhere that I'm not aware of in my 2018 LE II.  

This is from Oliver University in the transfer switch manual.

Mossey

CB1EA20A-CC64-4899-8ECF-CE09E6C230A1.thumb.jpeg.3defb5cad3ecaaa52743f0eabea0724b.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

On 8/6/2020 at 5:05 PM, mossemi said:

This is from Oliver University in the transfer switch manual.

Mossey

CB1EA20A-CC64-4899-8ECF-CE09E6C230A1.thumb.jpeg.3defb5cad3ecaaa52743f0eabea0724b.jpeg

Thanks for that.  Good to know even if I don't envision ever having both connected at once.  I guess it's the having a wife who worked for Dominion Energy for 40+ years in me that always makes me think of the guys up on the poles trying to restore power when they get the hell shocked out of them because homeowners have hooked up their generators to power their homes but didn't install a transfer switch which prevents that power from being  back fed into the grid.  It also took me a while to get comfortable with keeping the truck hooked up to the trailer while feeding the trailer with shore power.  I don't usually do that but it has happened on an occasion.  I was afraid the AC power would go to my truck via the 7 pin cable and fry my electrical system.  It won't happen (in theory) but I always feel better when there are zero paths of conduction between the two.  Just me I guess.  Thanks again though for the info.

• Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 2 months later...

I am contributing to this thread on an issue we are experiencing, but can add a separate thread if required.  We are camping in NY and there was a major power outage last night due to heavy winds just before sunset.  We reduced power to the minimum and were very good overnight on batteries, but power is still out and I wanted to do some testing so I hooked up my inverter and powered it up.  When I returned to the Ollie, my wife, Paula, asked about the clunking she was hearing.  I recognized it Immediately as the transfer switch.  I spot checked the Surge protector attic monitor and it had OFF on the LED.  I quickly returned to the inverter thinking that it might be that the inverter was in Eco mode and changed to normal mode.  I rechecked and had same symptom.  Later I tested again after confirming the voltage was okay at the inverter and used the other courtesy connection.  Same result.   I will wait for power to be restored, but expect that I will still have the same problem.

Thoughts?

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"