30 AMP ConveniencevConnection

Flyfisher

Did that and disconnected too.  Latest update is when power returned and was confirmed, I plugged in and all was well.  Will check generator/inverter again sometime down the road.  I inspected transfer switch while power was off/disconnected and it looked perfect to the eye.  

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

One final post about my issue or non issue.  It was all my fault.  I forgot to reinstall the neutral bonding plug back on the generator/inverter that I removed while we were in transit to our first campsite on this fall trip to NY.  I give credit to my wife, Paula, for asking a few questions that triggered thought about removing it.  It was over a year ago that I experienced it after trying my Honda eu2000i inverter to see if it would power the A/C with the ezStart capacitor and I simply forgot the symptom.   

David

• Thanks 3

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

That is good to know.  And, this happens more and more to me.  My wife uses technical  terms like “thingy” and uses her hands to show motion, direction and shape. Then, like magic, I remember the step I left out. 

• Like 3

David and Vicky | Burns, TN | 2020 LEII #686 | 2017 Ford F-250 4x4 6.2L

3 hours ago, GraniteStaters said:

One final post about my issue or non issue.  It was all my fault.  I forgot to reinstall the neutral bonding plug back on the generator/inverter that I removed while we were in transit to our first campsite on this fall trip to NY.  I give credit to my wife, Paula, for asking a few questions that triggered thought about removing it.  It was over a year ago that I experienced it after trying my Honda eu2000i inverter to see if it would power the A/C with the ezStart capacitor and I simply forgot the symptom.   

David

Happy for you, it was something simple . . . .  oft times that is the case 😀

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Easy to forget. Don't beat yourself up.

You won't forget next time. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
On 10/8/2020 at 10:44 AM, GraniteStaters said:

I am contributing to this thread on an issue we are experiencing, but can add a separate thread if required.  We are camping in NY and there was a major power outage last night due to heavy winds just before sunset.  We reduced power to the minimum and were very good overnight on batteries, but power is still out and I wanted to do some testing so I hooked up my inverter and powered it up.  When I returned to the Ollie, my wife, Paula, asked about the clunking she was hearing.  I recognized it Immediately as the transfer switch.  I spot checked the Surge protector attic monitor and it had OFF on the LED.  I quickly returned to the inverter thinking that it might be that the inverter was in Eco mode and changed to normal mode.  I rechecked and had same symptom.  Later I tested again after confirming the voltage was okay at the inverter and used the other courtesy connection.  Same result.   I will wait for power to be restored, but expect that I will still have the same problem.

Thoughts?

When you say inverter, are you talking about an inverter generator? If you have the onboard inverter, it is a piece of equipment that changes (inverts) 12 VDC to 120 VAC. It is usually located under the bed on the street side.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

1 hour ago, GraniteStaters said:

The inverter is what many people refer to as a generator so to ease confusion I use the generator/inverter nomenclature.  

Calling a gas powered generator an inverter is confusing at best and is simply incorrect. Many cheap generators have no inverter at all. The better ones are “inverter equipped” to provide a clean non-ripple AC power which is safe for electronics. 

IMHO everybody should just call it a generator, and save the term inverter for your onboard hard-wired one, or a small portable one.

You could accurately call it an inverter generator, but normally that full phrase isn’t used except maybe in technical articles.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+
On 10/11/2020 at 11:24 AM, GraniteStaters said:

I am sorry for the confusion.  I am not talking about the Progressive Inverter in the Ollie.  The inverter is what many people refer to as a generator so to ease confusion I use the generator/inverter nomenclature.  

Here again, I'm confused. I think you're referring to the Progressive Dynamics Hardwired EMS-HW30C RV Surge & Electrical Protector. This is still not an inverter rather it's an Electrical Management System (EMS). It is located under the street side dinette. There is also the Progress Dynamics load center that contains all your 110 VAC breakers and the 12 VDC fuses as well as the onboard charger for your batteries.

As I stated previously, the onboard inverter, is a piece of equipment that changes (inverts) 12 VDC to 120 VAC. It is usually located under the bed on the street side.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 8/4/2020 at 6:21 AM, Mainiac said:

Maybe the real question is???.. Did they find the answer? Or, if not, did they get back to you? I can see where someone in the "front" office might not know the answer to that question, but I can't believe they wouldn't follow through for you.

Yes . . . . . my experience has been if someone doesn't know the answer, they will find someone who does and let you know.

Ray and Susan Huff

On 8/4/2020 at 8:09 AM, John E Davies said:

The front tray used to be called a generator tray, then, presumably after consulting with the company lawyers, they renamed it a cargo tray. You aren’t supposed to run a portable generator that close to a living area, tho many people obviously do. A front 30 A connection would be handy if you run one in your pickup bed, for example. It does make the campsite look neater, without the cable running down half the length of the trailer. I did not see a need to buy that extra connection, but normally we run off 12 volts.

One thing I would add to a pre delivery inspection checklist is to have them show you that the transfer switch indeed is there and functioning correctly.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I'm not sure of the reason, "you aren't supposed to run a portable generator that close to a living area.  How is this different from an onboard generator . . . . not portable in the sense that the stand alone portables are, but still a generator burning fuel . . . . . . . . is the bathroom considered a living area? . . . . . .   I can understand maybe not running a generator under an open window . . . . . . what is the safe distance? . . . . . . . . where do the safety people recommend placing the generator while in use? . . . . . . .do we need longer than a 25' cord to plug into a generator?  

Ray and Susan Huff

On 8/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, Flyfisher said:

I was told about a couple changes, like the addition of a smart TV in this coming year’s model, that I was not aware of.  So I’m sure there is a lot if that going on.

Susan, don’t you know that you’re supposed to forget all those stressful things from your former job when you retire/leave it?😀   I did.

Yes, but remembering makes retirement look so much better 😎

• Haha 1

Ray and Susan Huff

1 hour ago, ScubaRx said:

Here again, I'm confused. I think you're referring to the Progressive Dynamics Hardwired EMS-HW30C RV Surge & Electrical Protector. This is still not an inverter rather it's an Electrical Management System (EMS). It is located under the street side dinette. There is also the Progress Dynamics load center that contains all your 110 VAC breakers and the 12 VDC fuses as well as the onboard charger for your batteries.

As I stated previously, the onboard inverter, is a piece of equipment that changes (inverts) 12 VDC to 120 VAC. It is usually located under the bed on the street side.

I believe the onboard inverter is a Xantrex Freedom XC Inverter - (the 2000w installed with the pro solar package).  

This brings up a question:  I can't find where it says anything about an inverter installed as standard equipment; only the 2000w with the solar package and 3000w with the lithium package.  Is there not one unless you choose one of these upgrades?

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderator+
6 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

This brings up a question:  I can't find where it says anything about an inverter installed as standard equipment; only the 2000w with the solar package and 3000w with the lithium package.  Is there not one unless you choose one of these upgrades?

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a "standard equipment" inverter. However, I do believe at one time you could order just an inverter, there as a choice of 600 watt and 1000 watt (I think). It was so much simpler when we bought Hull # 050, there was no option list. As a consequence, I had to install all the stuff that are options now.

One thing we do have (as a holdover from our earlier Oliver) is a motorized RV Power Cord Reel. It has never been offered as an option.

• Like 1