Tacoma + Elite II Owners Here?

jordanv

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Overland said:

Oh, I know a certain moderator who’s got you beat.

F02C5F4B-75AA-406F-86AB-C9DF27015BC7.thumb.jpeg.3d02af5e9198b9c35e4b9f563dac207d.jpeg

Hahaaaaa!  I haven't seen that picture in a long time.  The Bugeye is a towing BEAST . . . OK, maybe not, but it sure looks good with the Ollie behind it.

• Like 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking into a 2019 5L V8 Ford F-150. Has a max tow weight of 9,100Lbs. Would y’all be comfortable towing the elite II at that max? 

Seems to be within the “tow only 80% of max” rule here. 

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jordanv said:

Looking into a 2019 5L V8 Ford F-150. Has a max tow weight of 9,100Lbs. Would y’all be comfortable towing the elite II at that max? 

Seems to be within the “tow only 80% of max” rule here. 

If you travel mountains it will struggle, get used to 4,000-5,000 RPM going up.  It would do OK on flatlands.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

8 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

If you travel mountains it will struggle

Well dang. What should I be looking into then? I know the F150 3.5L V6 can tow 11,000 I believe. 

What towing max wouldn't struggle going up a mountain?

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull 762 | 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost V6 w/ Max Tow package

2 hours ago, jordanv said:

Well dang. What should I be looking into then? I know the F150 3.5L V6 can tow 11,000 I believe. 

2500 Hd diesel  Chevy Ford or Dodge 👍🏼

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderator+
2 hours ago, jordanv said:

Torque, more is better. All the 3/4 ton diesels will have more than twice as much as their gasoline powered counterparts. The Big Three’s diesel’s torque will range up to over 1000 lb/ft at a cruising rpm of less than 2000. 

These trucks won’t struggle going up or down a mountain. 

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
6 hours ago, jordanv said:

If you are going to go with a half ton Ford then I’d look at the 3.5L.  The 5.0L V8 will pull an Elite II - you’re just going to make it work in the mountains.  Like Steve said, you need to look at the torque number.  I have the 5.7L V8 in my Ram and it does okay, but still downshifting in the mountains running 4,000 RPM is normal.  If you want stress free towing then a 3/4 ton diesel is the ticket.

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Take a look at the Super Duty 2500 with the brand new big 7.3 liter gas engine. It is tuned for low to midrange torque, like a turbo diesel. That would be my engine of choice, by a landslide, plus the Tremor Offroad suspension package, if I ever decided to buy a Ford.  Which is probably never...... 😀 I just don’t like the interiors.

We all love vehicle shopping vicariously, let the other guy foot the bill. In your shoes I might wait a while, see what the new models have to offer. Or buy a tried and true low tech, but utterly reliable Tundra 5.7. Or a Sequoia. Or a certified used three year old Land Cruiser.

Check out the newer Rams, they have very nice interiors, the 2500s ride on rear coil springs or optional air suspension and won’t beat you up all day long, like old fashioned leaf springs.

Of all the vehicles we have been talking about, the one your wife will fall in love with is the Land Cruiser. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I've had three ecoboost vehicles, and would prefer that over a V8.  The f150 with the HDPP (heavy duty payload package) and ecoboost would be my pick for a gas TV.  Only downside is the HDPP is rare, and it generally excludes many of the other safety features like blindspot monitoring. For 2021, that's no longer the case, but the 2021s are not available on the used market yet 🙂.  Some say turbos are unreliable, but they are generally quieter than a v8.

Hidden in my answer: the TV that won't struggle in the mountains has forced induction.  We crossed a few 9000+ foot passes in the last few weeks.  A 5.0 V8 loses about a 100 horsepower at that altitude.  Turbo engines generally aren't as effected, especially in the lower RPM region that is nice and quiet.

• Like 3

Between Olivers…

I am looking to trade in my 4.0L 2013 Tacoma for a heavier truck prior to taking delivery of our Elite II this coming April.

The new F150 Hybrid has my interest.   Being able to couple the hybrid's electric motor to the 3.5L V6 should deliver all the power you need for the western mountains.  If the hybrid actually delivers the promised boost in mileage while highway towing it would be a plus but I doubt you could recover the additional 4 - 5K cost of the hybrid.  Eagerly awaiting input from actual users.

Edited by Neuman's

On 8/5/2020 at 8:55 PM, Overland said:

I think the taco is the sort of truck you tow with a few times, make some posts about how well it does and how much you love it, then quietly trade in for a half ton. 

Or just throw in the towel and go to a 3/4 diesel - of your choice. Save a step......

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

One more item about the HD’s and diesel. Visibility large mirrors and large blind spot mirror. Most now extent out if more visibility is needed. And don’t forget the best item I found, engine braking. Travel down a steep mountain set the speed and let the engine brake do the work less wear on brakes that could heat up and sometimes fail due to overheating. Forgot to add mirrors are also heated no fog up lane departure warning and additional turn signals.  Big benefits when towing  

Edited by Landrover
  • Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

16 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Take a look at the Super Duty 2500 with the brand new big 7.3 liter gas engine.

I agree that the new F-250's 7.3 liter is the truck to really consider if you want to avoid the high cost of diesel hitting you when you drive off the lot, pull into the pump, and inevitably find yourself in the shop. The design of the 7.3 is dead simple and it *should* be one of Ford's most reliable engines to date. If the LC doesn't work out for us, I'm finding it hard to consider anything other than the new F-250 or a used Tundra.

• Thanks 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

On the list for OTT EII 2021 delivery in March.

Thanks to everyone who is contributing to this topic, it has been much on our minds.

We are planning on starting off with our existing 2018 Tacoma Long Bed off-road realizing that is not ideal for all conditions. (1) It's paid for, we love it , (2) Why rush into a major expense upfront if we don't absolutely have to. Give it a while to simmer as we gain experience with the OTT EII while watching others and looking and learning. (3) Our dream two vehicle at this point seems to be a 3/4T Sprinter long wheelbase 4WD and that's a big decision and big chunk of change.

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

• Moderators
On 8/5/2020 at 8:55 PM, Overland said:

I think the taco is the sort of truck you tow with a few times, make some posts about how well it does and how much you love it, then quietly trade in for a half ton. 

Are you lookin’ at me?!?! 😂🤣

• Haha 4

On 8/17/2020 at 8:34 PM, Neuman's said:

I am looking to trade in my 4.0L 2013 Tacoma for a heavier truck prior to taking delivery of our Elite II this coming April.

The new F150 Hybrid has my interest.   Being able to couple the hybrid's electric motor to the 3.5L V6 should deliver all the power you need for the western mountains.  If the hybrid actually delivers the promised boost in mileage while highway towing it would be a plus but I doubt you could recover the additional 4 - 5K cost of the hybrid.  Eagerly awaiting input from actual users.

It has my interest, but I worry about payload - the HDPP is not available with the Hybrid.  Also, generally hybrids don't see much, if any gains from their hybrid powertrain at freeway speeds.  Some will do better, but it's usually the low rolling resistance tires and improved aero they add to hybrid models that help.  Our Prius Prime would do great in town at 55-65 MPG, but on the freeway it was more in the 40s, especially when the speed limit hits 80.  The other downside is the smaller tank on the hybrid F150 (30 vs 36 gallon).  

Here's my build for a 2021 F150 -- should sticker around the low-mid 50s (and sell for much less since it's a Ford), and have a payload around 2600-2700lbs if I base it off of the 2020s price/HDPP:

301A XLT (MID)
W1E 6.5' bed crew cab 4x4
998 Ecoboost
627 Heavy Duty Payload Package
43B Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 (Adaptive cruise and lane centering)
53C Max tow
763 360 Degree Camera Package
54Y/59S Tow mirrors
617 Power Adjustable Pedals
16G Vinyl flooring
472 2kW Pro Power

55A FX4 package
153 Front plate holder 

Add the transferflow 45 gallon tank (assuming it fits the 2021 or they come out with a new one), and maybe some airbags and it's a pretty compelling tow vehicle.  The only downside is the lay flat seats won't be available on the XLT, but that's a great junkyard or other swap for later on - or maybe a grey market buy from Canada.  Yes, you'll still need the Anderson.

Between Olivers…

Our F-350 SD Diesel is looking better all the time . . . . . mountains? . . . . no problem . . . . . 15 mpg and power extending mirrors . . . . .  it's a keeper 😊  

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

So glad I posted this topic! So much great advice and help here 🙌

I wanted you all to know I was able to get a REALLY good deal on a NEW 2020 F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. Up to 10,500 towing on this one. It was very hard to find as most of the F150s in my price range would always end up being either the 2.7 or the 3.3 V6 once I clicked through to get more info.

I knew that I was going to have to settle on a "lower end" model compared to the Tacoma I got, but what I ended up getting is basically the same tier!

I am not having to spend too much after my trade in as well because this dealership is offering some pretty great incentives 😃

Heading out to the Dallas area this weekend to trade the Tacoma in and pick up the Ford. Looking forward to it!

image.thumb.png.e6cbf6c799fb9816ac08d59702bd368d.png

On 8/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, John E Davies said:

the one your wife will fall in love with is the Land Cruiser

This is hilarious because my wife has always wanted a Land Cruiser! One day!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Great looking truck! 

Enjoy the drive. I know you'll enjoy the Ford. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:55 PM, Overland said:

jordanv,

Congrats on the fine looking new truck!

We purchased our LE2 Ollie in MO and towed it home to North Carolina with a 4.0L Nissan Frontier. Later we traded the Frontier for a new 5.7L Tundra to tow Ollie with.

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1

LE2

18 hours ago, jordanv said:

So glad I posted this topic! So much great advice and help here 🙌

I wanted you all to know I was able to get a REALLY good deal on a NEW 2020 F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. Up to 10,500 towing on this one. It was very hard to find as most of the F150s in my price range would always end up being either the 2.7 or the 3.3 V6 once I clicked through to get more info.

I knew that I was going to have to settle on a "lower end" model compared to the Tacoma I got, but what I ended up getting is basically the same tier!

I am not having to spend too much after my trade in as well because this dealership is offering some pretty great incentives 😃

Heading out to the Dallas area this weekend to trade the Tacoma in and pick up the Ford. Looking forward to it!

image.thumb.png.e6cbf6c799fb9816ac08d59702bd368d.png

This is hilarious because my wife has always wanted a Land Cruiser! One day!

Nice . . . . . be sure to post how it does, especially fuel economy and towing on hills. 

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Well I have some bad news :classic_sad:

Long story short

I was incorrectly told by the dealer multiple times that the truck I purchased could tow 10,500 lbs. The afternoon after my purchase, I read the manual as it is something I like to do. I found a foot note that said that if the 3.5L V6 does not have the "Heavy Duty Towing Package"  ("Trailer Tow Package" on the sticker sheet) then it is limited to 7,000 lbs. This means that it was a fruitless purchase for me as my Tacoma can Tow 6,700 lbs.

The dealer was adamant that they were correct until after hours of research, and organizing my documentation, I was able to show them they were wrong. One of the managers went so far as to tell me that "That line is only in the manual for safety purposes, I know people who tow without that package and its fine". I also mentioned I could be sued if I were to get into an accident pulling a weight the manual states clearly I should not be pulling. His response: "How would a lawyer prove that?"

They did not offer to install the package or reimburse my travel expenses. They did agree to give my Tacoma and money back however.

If you are interested in the details, I am going to make this document available for others who may experience the same issue. (It has happened to others according to many F150 forum posts.)

https://www.notion.so/F150-3-5L-V6-Towing-Complications-0227c06eeb314f7cba83e05e85840f45

Edited by jordanv
  • Sad 1