Poll: Sleeping direction on Ollie LE2 Twin Bed

DavidS

Poll: Sleeping direction on Ollie LE2 Twin Bed  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which direction do you sleep in your Twin Bed Ollie LE2

• Head and pillow at the rear
    • Head and pillow near kitchen or pantry

Thanks to @Overland for showing us how to make polls! We will see how this works, and how many responses!

Also, Why did you decide to sleep in the specific orientation you use?

• Like 4

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Head towards the front. We keep our trailer slightly nose high. Sleeping with your head downhill will make you goofy. KountryKamper told me so. Must be true. 

Edited by Townesw
  • Like 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderator+

Head toward the front so we can watch TV. Wait, that TV has not been on in years.

• Haha 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

26 minutes ago, Townesw said:

Head towards the front. We keep our trailer slightly nose high. Sleeping with your head downhill will make you goofy. 

Ditto. Raise the coupler off the ball and just leave it there.

Also:  Easier to keep the bathroom and closet doors ajar. Plugin for electric throws is at the foot end.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bhncb said:

Ditto. Raise the coupler off the ball and just leave it there.

Also:  Easier to keep the bathroom and closet doors ajar. Plugin for electric throws is at the foot end.

Also: rain water behind the awning runs off the back of the trailer, refrigerator door doesn’t swing open the wrong way and break the hinges, tanks drain better (Number 1 rule of plumbing: “stuff” goes downhill), fresh water pickup is at the rear of the fresh tank, AC condensate drains better.

Edited by Townesw

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Head to front, so we can look out the back window, especially in Picture Window Mode (red latches undone and entire frame held up by a rope). Who wants to look at the galley and pantry....?

John Davies

Spokane WA

F01885ED-667C-4FC7-96F0-7A835499A8D4.jpeg

7B1886E4-62CB-4109-A6ED-7520B260DBC6.jpeg

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Don't know yet . . . . still waiting for our Ollie.  

I will wait to see which bed my husband chooses (I got to choose on our last twin RV).  Then it will depend on which direction puts the sleeping bag zipper on the aisle side; and if the nightstand is in my way.  

Another thought: are there lighted controls that disturb you at night?  This could also be a factor.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

4 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Head to front, so we can look out the back window, especially in Picture Window Mode (red latches undone and entire frame held up by a rope). Who wants to look at the galley and pantry....?

John Davies

Spokane WA

That's a great reason!

Ray and Susan Huff

2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Another thought: are there lighted controls that disturb you at night?  This could also be a factor.

TV Led (it turns on when the TV is off), Zamp Panel, Stereo Display/time, USB port LEDs, Microwave Display, WiFi Booster LED, and awning LEDs up front.  We used 1 or 2 dimming stickers on each of these.  TV got a blackout since it projects straight down on curb side - just had to be careful as the IR receiver for the remote is right next to the bright blue LED.

Between Olivers…

Although we don't have our LEII yet, we have had extensive discussions about this so it's funny DavidS is polling this topic.  Based on our discussions, it's not surprising the split is roughly 50-50 so far.  My wife was assuming we would sleep with our heads towards the rear due to the configuration of the nightstand.  What good is the nightstand with your feet next to it she asked?  Well, I'm voting for head towards the front for two reasons already mentioned....  lack of room for side sleeping arms in the back and who would want to set up a mirror just to watch TV  when lying in bed?  🙂  I'm definitely adding the beautiful view John D. shared as another compelling reason - both for sleeping head towards the front and for not turning on the TV at all! 

I also said no one would stop us from sleeping in whichever orientation we like, even if it's in opposite directions!  That seemed to be the strangest idea yet - I wonder if anyone has tried that yet?  🙂 

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

8 hours ago, WhatDa said:

TV Led (it turns on when the TV is off), Zamp Panel, Stereo Display/time, USB port LEDs, Microwave Display, WiFi Booster LED, and awning LEDs up front.  We used 1 or 2 dimming stickers on each of these.  TV got a blackout since it projects straight down on curb side - just had to be careful as the IR receiver for the remote is right next to the bright blue LED.

TV -new model folded up should hide light?  Zamp Panel - I asked an owner and they say it turns off when the sun goes down.  Stereo Display - our motor home has Jensen and the display can be turned off.  USB ports - do the new ones have covers?  Microwave - we are deleting.  WiFi  Booster - not ordering.  What about the cell booster?  Up front switches - there is a panel on the wall to the left when you come in the door.  Are there others?  What about the fridge?  The Dometic in our motor home has blue lit control panel that shows through the crack between the fridge and freezer;  it bothers my husband from his bed.  I know, the Norcold doesn't have two doors, but it looks like the control panel is on the outside.  Is it lit?

Thanks for the info on the dimming stickers; we use black electrical tape.

5 hours ago, NCeagle said:

Although we don't have our LEII yet, we have had extensive discussions about this so it's funny DavidS is polling this topic.  Based on our discussions, it's not surprising the split is roughly 50-50 so far.  My wife was assuming we would sleep with our heads towards the rear due to the configuration of the nightstand.  What good is the nightstand with your feet next to it she asked?  Well, I'm voting for head towards the front for two reasons already mentioned....  lack of room for side sleeping arms in the back and who would want to set up a mirror just to watch TV  when lying in bed?  🙂  I'm definitely adding the beautiful view John D. shared as another compelling reason - both for sleeping head towards the front and for not turning on the TV at all! 

I also said no one would stop us from sleeping in whichever orientation we like, even if it's in opposite directions!  That seemed to be the strangest idea yet - I wonder if anyone has tried that yet?  🙂 

Interesting thoughts.  We also don't have our Ollie yet, but do have twin beds in our small motor home.  We sleep with our heads to the rear mainly because at the foot of the beds are two hanging wardrobes, one of which has the TV mounted to the side, rear facing, making it impossible to sleep head forward.  There is also a nightstand between the beds, but it is not elevated, but even with the mattresses.

I am leaning toward head to the front as I see more advantages to that orientation.  I sleep on my side, and even in our 34" wide beds I put a pillow up to keep from hitting shelving on the wall above the nightstand.  (no rear window - I am so looking forward to a rear window!)  I'm 5'6, so can easily get used to getting my legs around the nightstand when getting out of bed.  Husband, 6'2", might have trouble.  Although he sleeps on his back, I can see him being more comfortable with his head to the rear.  My only hesitation with him sleeping to the rear is that his snoring might reverberate off the nightstand!  It will be easy for me to switch ends, as I sleep with just a down throw or sleeping bag, in colder weather.  I can't sleep with my feet confined in the tucked in bedding.

One advantage I can see to each sleeping at opposite ends is that you are facing each other, making it easier to communicate, especially when lounging.  And I love John Davies' rear view idea, though I will need to make some sort of screen to keep the bugs out.  I'm allergic to mosquitoes and have an obsessive fear of bats.  Maybe a mosquito netting cover to attach to the inside or outside. .  I'm sure I can make something like that.

10 hours ago, John E Davies said:

John Davies

Spokane WA

What is the bracket John has the rope attached to?  Rear view camera?  We aren't ordering the rear camera, so will there still be a bracket there?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

Enough wine and Shinner Beer, I can't remember which way I fall asleep. As far as watching TV that's pretty much a joke as far as getting reception to watch it, so that really doesn't inter into direction of sleep. But going to the bathroom in the middle of the night does, so which ever way you get out of bed the easiest is the way I would sleep. 

trainman

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I guess I’m the odd one who’s looking at the back of my eyelids when I’m in bed.  🤔 

During the day, I can move a pillow if I want.  I wouldn’t let that dictate how I’d sleep.  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

.What is the bracket John has the rope attached to?  Rear view camera?  We aren't ordering the rear camera, so will there still be a bracket there?

That is my Garmin BC30 camera mount, you won’t have one on any Ollie, but you can easily make a simple attach point either on the AC shroud or the hull itself, if the latter be sure to install it with the correct sealant. The rope is two colors of paracord braided together with a loop in one end and a stainless carabiner clip in the other. We don’t have bad bug problems, normally, and along that river campsite (Salmon River, Island Bar BLM campground east of Riggins ID), there were none at all. Just rafters and a few jetboats during the daylight hours. On a scale of five that spot was a six, and it was free. Maybe because of the changeable water level....

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/1973-how-to-install-a-garmin-bc-30-backup-camera/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, John E Davies said:

That is my Garmin BC30 camera mount, you won’t have one on any Ollie, but you can easily make a simple attach point either on the AC shroud or the hull itself, if the latter be sure to install it with the correct sealant. The rope is two colors of paracord braided together with a loop in one end and a stainless carabiner clip in the other. We don’t have bad bug problems, normally, and along that river campsite (Salmon River, Island Bar BLM campground east of Riggins ID), there were none at all. Just rafters and a few jetboats during the daylight hours. On a scale of five that spot was a six, and it was free. Maybe because of the changeable water level....

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/1973-how-to-install-a-garmin-bc-30-backup-camera/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thanks for the tips.  One of our first trips will be north to eastern WA, Montana, Idaho.  Island Bar BLM on the Salmon River sounds like a place we would love.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

I am so looking forward to a rear window!)

😃 I can't count how many photos we have of views thru the rear window. And in the original Ollie's, It's a big awning window.

When we were looking at trailers, long ago, so many had a bathroom or bunks blocking the rear view/no window. We jettisoned every one of them. So many campsites afford the best view from that rear window. Enjoy!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

29 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

😃 I can't count how many photos we have of views thru the rear window. And in the original Ollie's, It's a big awning window.

When we were looking at trailers, long ago, so many had a bathroom or bunks blocking the rear view/no window. We jettisoned every one of them. So many campsites afford the best view from that rear window. Enjoy!

Our once RV, a 5th-wheel, had a rear kitchen with a huge window.  I really miss that feature.  Our current RV, Leisure Travel Van Unity TB, has what looks like a huge rear tinted window, but it's just the end cap painted black!

3. Rear view.JPG

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

On 8/9/2020 at 7:40 AM, Susan Huff said:

TV -new model folded up should hide light?  Zamp Panel - I asked an owner and they say it turns off when the sun goes down.  Stereo Display - our motor home has Jensen and the display can be turned off.  USB ports - do the new ones have covers?  Microwave - we are deleting.  WiFi  Booster - not ordering.  What about the cell booster?  Up front switches - there is a panel on the wall to the left when you come in the door.  Are there others?  What about the fridge?  The Dometic in our motor home has blue lit control panel that shows through the crack between the fridge and freezer;  it bothers my husband from his bed.  I know, the Norcold doesn't have two doors, but it looks like the control panel is on the outside.  Is it lit?

Thanks for the info on the dimming stickers; we use black electrical tape.

TV: folded up the light just projects down on the curb side area.  Zamp: it does turn off with the sun - but sometimes the sun is out while we want to sleep.  Yay for northern latitudes Stereo: even when it shows time it is a little bright for my taste - but still nice to have the time.  USB - We have covers, but also use the ports to charge while sleeping. WiFi/Cell: both have lights when on. Up front switches: Yes, there are also switches in the back - between the kitchen upper cabinet and the curbside bed cabinet, but none of them are lit when we sleep (kitchen/cabinet/rear side lights are the one with status lights).  The truma is also there in ours, and it has a status light (that we also put the lightdim material on).  With all the bright-white, shiny surfaces, any light makes things much brighter than if we had a dingy wood interior.  Our fridge (norcold) has a display, but it's misaligned with the window just enough that not much light comes out.

I like the dimming stickers because I can still see the displays/indicators, but they are dim enough to not illuminate the space.  So I can see the time on the stereo/microwave or the blinks on the Truma if it's unhappy.  Also can tell the awnings have power at a quick glance.

• Thanks 1

Between Olivers…

We have the Elite I so no twin bed but I read where some leave the tongue up for drainage etc. I was under the impression that it is very important to have the trailer level in order not to damage the refrigerator. Am I wasting my time trying to level the trailer.

According to this article, and also the Norcold manual, six degrees front to back and three degrees side to side are the limits. I think those angles are relative to the unit as opposed to the trailer. So a little rearward or forward tilt shouldn’t be a problem but don’t overdo it. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1