LED Replacement For Puck Lights

DCKiefer

I know this has been on the board before, but I have to mention LED's again because it isn't often that I think I may have paid to much for something, only to find it to possibly be one of the best purchases I have made.

I recently bought LED replacements for four of our puck lights. The main reason for this might not be what you think, trying to save power. I really disliked the heat from the holagens, but thought the light was greate until? Until I bought four LED replacements on ebay. I love light and these where listed as the brighest at 120 lums obtained from 10 LEDs on each replacement.

The light is fantastic and no heat, plus saving electricity. A little high priced at about $16 each, but not the most expeincive out there. You might be able to get them cheaper in an auction. They produce wonderful white light that makes you relize how yellow the holagens are. I'm buying three more to replace all the most frequently used lights in our trailer.

I now there has been some discussion about overhead lighting. I think with the replacements I bought I get more lighting bouncing off the white walls of the trailer, that I no longer feel as much of a need for a center light.

• Like 1

Honestly, had I known the LED package was simply a lamp swap, I probably would've done it myself too. I incorrectly assumed the entire fixture was different. But considering these things are $18 each, I feel it was fairly priced. I also like the fact that they used the seemingly brighter 'cool' lamps over the kitchen, and used the 'warm' ones in the other areas.

Technomadia, according to your link to the lamps Oliver is using, it looks like the are 90 lumens and only 2.16 watts (180mA x 12V). Or, at least that's what they are now? Still not as efficient as the ones DCKiefer found though.

I was coincidentally just introduced to an amazing LED product here at work. It's basically a narrow (.31") ribbon of LED's with a self-adhesive backing that can trimmed and applied to just about anything. Common applications include under-cabinet lighting, cove lighting, etc.; however, I'm sure there are a lot of clever uses for it in our Olivers. Here's a link: http://www.gmlighting.net/index-4.html

Herm

• Thanks 1

Yes, they are a little bigger than a quarter. They have two contacts that come off of the disk, that are the same as those that extend from the halogen bulb. It takes a little pressue to insert them into the socket and I recommend being careful. Too much force and you might damage the LED replacement. I had no trouble installing them.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Side by side comparison of the 120 lumen LED and the Halogen bulbs. We think that the halogen light is more of a spot beam and the leds light is more of a wide area light and brighter, though using much less energy. Betty thinks the led light is a easier light to work in the kitchen with. Because our Summer workcamper job will be for several months at a site with no electricity, I wanted to test the lights side by side when the battery was down somewhat, like at the end of a day, before the solar panels had a chance to restore the charge in them.

Here is a link to the video, click to play:

th_100_0114.jpg

Like DCKiefer, we just love them. We also will replace the most frequently used bulbs, which for us is the sink and the small dinette areas, four bulbs. This will result in a daily savings of about thirty four watts. Not bad for just replacing four bulbs ! Tumbleweed did this and passed on to us a extra halogen bulb that he had left over, for us to carry as a spare in the event of a burnt out or damaged bulb, we make the same offer to fellow Ollie owners. If you would like to have a spare bulb for an emergency replacement, send a PM and i'll mail it out to you. We will have five to give out, counting the one from Chuck. Future replacements as they go bad, will be LEDs.

• Like 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

As we replaced the lights we realized that we had another light that we wanted to replace the bulb in, the bathroom, for a total of five LED replacements. At $13,99 each, it was a total of $69.95 for the five, delivered to the house.

The great thing about it is that we could burn all five LEDs at the same time, and still be using three watts less than burning one halogen bulb !

Now, this savings, with no electricity while camped out in the Rocky Mountains, means that if we want to watch a movie on direct tv, we will have extra battery to do it with ! The direct tv reciever draws 27 watts of power and we have a small 100 watt inverter to power it. This inverter is aproximately 90 % plus efficent in it's conversion of 12 volts direct current to 120 volts alternating current, so we don't pay too high of a price in battery capacity.

The new 120 lumen LEDs are quite a bit brighter and might not suit some, but we just love the extra light on way less battery consumption ! 8-)

• Like 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• 3 weeks later...

One recommendation about these lights. They are nice and bright, but might be a little to bright for sudden illumination in the middle of the night before your eyes are ready. You might want to keep a couple of the halogens in place to allow your eyes to adjust from darkness to light before hitting the LED's.

• Like 1