TV Options

TexasGuy

So I am in line to get my Elite I next spring and am looking at TV options.  My current daily driver is going to my son as planned who is getting his DL at the end of the year.    Here are the TVs I am currently considering. Based on Elite I and vehicle specs all should work.  

F-150

RAM 1500

Expedition

Q7

I was pleasantly surprised at the payload on the Expedition once the sales guy knew what I was talking about and why I was asking to see sticker in door frame! It is about the same as F-150 trims I am considering with both just over 1500 lbs . I will be curious to see if 21 F-150 payload changes much.   RAM has a really cool feature where you can input a VIN into website and it spits out towing specs including payload.  I compared to truck I saw in person and it matches the door sticker, pretty cool.   The RAM trims have a bit less payload in the 1300 lbs range.     I think Q7 is about the same in 1300 range.

I did see a couple folks who do or did tow with Expedition.  Did you have regular or extended model ?  The SUVs appeal as both will fit into garage.   The F-150 will for hail emergencies but a tight fit due to length and same for RAM. 

Thoughts ?  Any others to consider?  I looked at the GMC Sierra. They are very nice just prefer RAM or Ford if going pickup route. 

2021 Legacy Elite II Hull #807 - 2021 F150 w/ 3.5L EB and max tow package 

All great picks.  We did the Navigator L for a while and it did a great job - it is the fancy version of the Expedition Max . The L/MAX get a 28 gallon tank and the smaller versions get 23 gallons.  The nice thing about an SUV, is your payload is all for payload.  With a truck, you have to spend some payload on a cap/tonneau cover first.  The only time it didn't feel good is with "M+S rated" all season in a blizzard with high wind.  Once I had the actual Blizzak snow tires on, things felt way better.

We now pull with a truck as someone _really_ wanted my Navigator.  Life has changed for me and I no longer need to go to the airport as much, and then COVID happened so I don't go at all, so we went with a much bigger truck. Upsides for the truck for towing is you don't hear the hitch receiver clanking around, so it's quieter.  Also, propane/gasoline runs are less sketchy with a truck bed.  Also, while the Oliver is narrow enough that the Navigator mirrors could see past it, I do love the tow mirrors now.

Ram's online guide will diverge from the sticker.  

I haven't towed with the Q7, but we had 2010 Touareg Diesel that turned some of the best towing mileage I have seen (22 mpg with an enclosed car hauler).  I think we saw around $30k of warranty work as each computer box on it died over the course of a year - I suspect because the dealer killed the battery at one point and didn't jump it correctly.  While on the road, there are a lot more GM/Ford/Chevy dealers than VW group. 

If it were me and I could wait, I'd look at what a 2021 F150 Ecoboost looks like in terms of payload and price once optioned out the way I want it. Maybe even take a look at the hybrid version.  If Titan brings their 40/48 gallon tanks to the 2021, combined with the onboard generator, that'd be pretty appealing.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Between Olivers…

25 minutes ago, WhatDa said:

If it were me and I could wait, I'd look at what a 2021 F150 Ecoboost looks like in terms of payload and price once optioned out the way I want it. Maybe even take a look at the hybrid version.  If Titan brings their 40/48 gallon tanks to the 2021, combined with the onboard generator, that'd be pretty appealing.

FYI the Titan tank is only for diesel F150 models, it is illegal to change out a factory tank to a larger size or add an auxiliary tank to a gas truck because the emissions system is designed and approved only for the factory tank the truck is delivered with.  OTH there are places where you can get an aux gas tank installed, regardless of the legalities. For example the Australian Long Ranger tanks (three different sizes, up to 50 gallons extra) are being put in USA spec Land Cruiser 200s. They add a second Aussie vapor canister for the extra tank, extra gauge and transfer switch/ pump and somehow convince themselves and their customers that is not “emissions tampering”. 

It is very odd that diesel trucks can have modded tanks, but gas trucks cannot, when you consider how much more fuel a gas truck needs for adequate endurance in the boonies. Carrying jerry cans on the back bumper or roof is way more hazardous than carrying extra fuel safely tucked between the frame rails. I just don’t see any sense in the EPA’s logic.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 minute ago, WhatDa said:

I had my wires crossed - TransferFlow makes the extended gas tank: https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800116947

OK, that one is news to me, it is the first 50 state CARB legal oversized replacement gas tank I have heard of. I sure hope they will make them for more makes and models.  This adds a great big star beside the F150 if you want extended range. Thanks for posting that link.

Edit: they do show a big replacement tank for Tundras, but it is not California legal. 

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800114225

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Yes, especially if for 2021 they let you get all the safety features along with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (which they currently don't due to trim restrictions on HDPP).  Not many of the 1/2 trucks have enough payload for 250 lbs of fuel while being able to carry much else.

• Thanks 1

Between Olivers…

Transferflow also makes a 46 gallon gas replacement tank for the Tundra. AFAIK, this tank and the one for the F150 are the only two gas replacement tanks available.

Also, it seems for 2021 model year, Ford is still only offering the HDPP package on the F150 up to the Mid XLT trim, nothing higher.
I saw a build sheet somewhere and that was the case. Kind of disappointing....
I suppose when the trucks actually are produced, things could change, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

I looked at the leaked order guide - actually XLT Mid (301A) can be optioned pretty well:

HDPP

360 camera
adaptive cruise with lane centering
evasive steering assist
blind spot with trailer/rear cross traffic
wireless carplay/sync 4
auto climate control

That just about checks all my boxes.  It'd be a custom order of course.
The only sad part are the lay flat seats are King Ranch or higher. 

The had to make many of those safety features into lower trims, since the next Tundra will probably come with it all in base trim.

Edited by WhatDa
  • Thanks 1

Between Olivers…

16 hours ago, John E Davies said:

OK, that one is news to me, it is the first 50 state CARB legal oversized replacement gas tank I have heard of. I sure hope they will make them for more makes and models.  This adds a great big star beside the F150 if you want extended range. Thanks for posting that link.

Edit: they do show a big replacement tank for Tundras, but it is not California legal. 

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800114225

John Davies

Spokane WA

From my experience -  not much is legal in Cali anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Anyone consider the Titan XD? I have a 2016 crew cab with the 5.0L Cummins. I’m really impressed with how it tows. Power specs are 310 HP and 555 ftlbs torque. Payload is a bit light at 1,488 lbs, but it is a heavy truck at over 7,300 lbs curb weight. In other words, the tail doesn’t wag the dog easily. 
The diesel is no longer available, but it is still a contender in my view. 

Previously owned trucks were 2006 Tacoma crew and a 2007 Tundra crew max Ltd. I really liked my Toyota trucks, but wanted a used diesel that didn’t cost $50-60K. I found this Titan for under $40K. I bought it with 13,000 miles and now have about 78,000 on the clock. 

Not that a Silverado/Sierra 1500 was on your list, but their max trailer package is a bit odd.  

GM adds enhanced radiator cooling, heavier duty rear spring, 9.78” axle with 3.42 locking differential, and revised shock tuning to add 2100  lbs to their tow numbers and 300 lbs to GVWR.  Which all sounds good, but when you analyze what they did it gets interesting.

GM is going to composite leaf springs to save on curb weight.  The heavier duty leaf spring is  a rather thick composite spring added to the pack that looks like a helper spring.  The maximum tow  package increases GVWR 300 lbs., but the maximum tow package adds 140 lbs to the curb weight.  So maybe you are getting to add a fiberglass topper and keep close to the original payload.

The rear axle ratio is lowered from 3.23 to 3.42, but the package requires 20” wheels  and 275/­60R20 extra load  tires resulting right back at a 3.23 effective gearing.  So you are getting  stronger rear axle with no benefit from the lower gearing.  I suppose you don’t need it with 10 speed..... the manufacture’s small tweaking ramp up tow values a lot.

Edited by Dean
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think towing a 7,000# plus trailer with a 1/2 ton is hard on the pickup.  Yes, it will tow it, but for what you pay, a 3/4  or 1-ton is a much more efficient and a better value.  Same with midsize SUVs, which might be ok for a very small trailer.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg