Suggestions Needed.....

Tlaw

Hi everyone!

I’ve been researching RVs for the past couple of months and seriously considering an Elite II. The problem I’m having is figuring out how to fit 3 adults and a child in comfortably?? The Elite II is the perfect size for my son and I but I know when we hit the road granny and my favorite Aunt (I have 7,lol) will want to ride along. One is 68 and the other is 70 so, tent camping for them is out of the question but then I thought my son (4) and I can sleep outside, he would have a blast in a tent until I realized why should I sleep outside when I’m paying for the trailer,lol??? Any suggestions? I really want an Oliver but may have to move on if I can’t work this out...☹️

Also, I tried to join the Oliver FB page to get ideas and info. but keep getting denied. Don’t know what that is about?? 

Thanks all!!

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Tlaw said:

Also, I tried to join the Oliver FB page to get ideas and info. but keep getting denied. Don’t know what that is about??

The Oliver Owners' fb page is run by a group of owners. We don't have any controls there. A few of us are members and drop in occasionally. 

If you would like to pm me you facebook name, I  can pass a message on to one of the admins over there for you. 

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Not sure how you could sleep three adults and a child or teen in an Ollie 2 .

A twin bed model could sleep three, using the small dinette as a more narrow, 25 " wide berth, about 72" long. Fine for a smaller adult or a child.

When our adult daughter camps with us, she pitches a tent. Ditto with our nephew, who was 13 when he first camped with us. Our Elite I shorty will technically sleep 3, again, using the side dinette, but the kids really enjoy the tent more than the tight quarters of our little trailer.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I just reread your post. I doubt I'd want a 4 year-old in a tent by himself. 

Maybe an addaroom screen enclosure, with rain curtains could work. But that's pretty much a fair weather option, imo.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

SeaDawg yes, he would only be out there in a tent, if he were with an adult. I wouldn’t feel comfortable about him being outside in a tent by himself until he turned 21,lol. 
I guess I will have to move on to my second option. Thanks for the info.!

Edited by Tlaw

It depends on how much you want to spend, but if I were in your situation, I'd get the smaller Ollie and with the money saved, get a pop-up camper shell, probably a Four Wheel, and place it on a one ton truck so that you can tow the Ollie too.  You then have the option of doing some more remote and a little more primitive camping with just your son along.  He'd love it, and I bet you would, too.  Like I was saying in another thread, think of the Ollie as your base camp / chuck wagon with its kitchen, bath and storage, and a few berths for guests.  

The more I think about the idea, the more I start to wish I'd thought of it before buying our E2.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• Moderators

No matter what you pick, I'm really glad you're planning to take your son camping. The gift of the great outdoors is one of the best we can give our kids. And starting young is best.

Are you sure granny and auntie don't want to tent camp? I'm not so much opposed to tenting anymore, as I  am opposed to sleeping on the ground. A set of discobed cots that can be used as cots, a sofa, or later, for your son and a pal, as bunks, could make tenting a lot more enjoyable. 

Especially with an Ollie as Basecamp, with kitchen, fridge, and bathroom right next door. 

My cousins in Norway have taken a family camping trip each summer in a big family tent. Room for Mom and Dad (my age), adult son, adult daughter and husband and two grandchildren. A few years ago, my cousin and husband bought a little camper, and kids and grandkids use the big tent. The multi generation experience is wonderful,  and easier with the trailer base.

Another thought is a van as a tow vehicle for the smaller elite, that could provide comfy sleeping for two. We camped our way around Iceland a few years ago in a VW Beach. Essentially,  a bed on wheels, but it could seat five with the bed folded up. 

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I just don't see this working out very well, unless you get the full bed model and like to sleep real close. As nice as the Oliver is, it's a two person trailer for 99.0% of us, excluding dogs and cats.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 2 weeks later...

The dinette bed is ideal for a child, in the Elite I or II, so that's where we plan to sleep the grandchildren.  We only have one granddaughter right now, so no problem.  Im still researching next steps, but one idea is to buy a hard-shell RTT Roof Top Tent, such as this one (made in USA). https://www.roosttents.com, mount it over the bed of my Ford F150, perhaps on a Rack system such as this one https://www.leitnerdesigns.com

When one of my 5 grown children and their significant others wants to come on vacation with us, they can fly out to meet us, we will pick them up at the airport and will have all the camping "stuff" they need.   We will let them sleep in the RTT, parked well away from us.  if they have more than one grandchild, they will probably have to bring a tent.   

• Like 2

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

• Moderators

Tlaw, if your towing capacity is 3500 pounds, as I think it is, you're marginal on any Oliver. 

Our 2008 Elite weighs in at or above your capacity, ready for camping, with gear, food, and some water, grey, and black

you've also indicated that you want to have space for gramma, and a favorite aunt, along with you, and your son. 

Honestly,  if you want to keep  the jeep (nice!,), you'll probably have to look at other brands to get sleeping for four. And, be within your tow limits. 

A few years ago, with limited towing capacity, my sister bought a lightly used rpod, bunk model, that could have slept four, at a good price. Light, aluminum framing  (cage) in the walls, panelized roof (not rubber/epdm). Don't go there to the rubber roofs. Nor 2 x 2 cage, wood .

I love molded fiberglass.  But I  don't think there's anything US made in molded fiberglass that would fit your jeep, and sleep 4, comfortably.  And fit your tow capacity,  and gvwr .

Not trying to be a bummer. Just trying to be honest.  

If you want to change up the vehicle, other avenues open. But, an Oliver is really only set up for three, sleeping in the trailer.  Imo .

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

SeaDawg ......yeah I’m aware my Jeep is not a very good TV unless it’s a pop up or smaller camper. I  have already done the math and picked the TV that I want. My plan for the past year is to wait until February 2021 to get my TV, then on the Oliver wait list for a 2022 spring arrival unless, a good used one comes up. That’s why I can’t get Hokiman’s trailer right now.

Also, I’ve decided my son and I will sleep in a roof top tent and let the old people sleep inside,lol. He will enjoy the tent and I want his granny to come along so he can enjoy this time we have with her.

I know there are other campers that are larger but I want minimal repairs to shell and other components due to the result of possible hail or rougher roads etc.....

Edited by Tlaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tlaw said:

I  have already done the math and picked the TV that I want. My plan for the past year is to wait until February 2021 to get my TV, then on the Oliver wait list for a 2022 spring arrival unless, a good used one comes up. That’s why I can’t get Hokiman’s trailer right now.

Also, I’ve decided my son and I will sleep in a roof top tent and let the old people sleep inside,lol. 

I hope you have picked a HD Crew Cab pickup. No 1500 or big SUV will work with a LE2, all those passengers, their gear, plus the rack and RTT. You need a substantially reinforced (Leer for example) “rack ready” canopy, or a metal external ladder rack, and those are heavy. Unless you happen to luck out and find a cherry old Suburban or Excursion 2500. Or one of these, my choice.... https://gofastcampers.com/ .... except their order delivery times are around six months to a year now.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Any of the big three are good choices.  Drive them all - but it will probably be mid 2021 before there are  sufficient numbers to do much comparison.  Should I win the lottery - ha - I would trade out my 2018 for a 2021 GMC. Just because...... but honestly, I love my GMC. 

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201