Dometic awning dead

Hans111

Looking for ideas about a dead awning. The remote operates the awning lights as expected but the awning won't extend. It's silent--no motor. Tried troubleshooting reset from the manual (kind of, it's a different remote than diagrammed in the manual). Looking for ideas to try.

Thanks!

2020 E2, Hull 611

Doug & Dan

Des Moines, Iowa

(waiting on a ) 2020 LEII

Is there a manual override available? That was asked in another thread. Just curious if there are limit switches?  Thinking maybe moving the awning a little might close a limit switch? Also would allow one to retract if this should happen when extended? It would make a trip home easier.

Edited by Mainiac
Fingers stuttered
  • Like 1

The only thing I can think is that the lights and motor might be on a separate circuit, so maybe check for a blown fuse.

One question, though - I took a peek at the manual on Oliver University and it's for the 120 volt model.  Is Oliver really installing the 120v version?  Do you have to turn on the inverter to use the awning?  

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

• Moderators

In that line of thought, what's your battery level? Are you plugged in?

Led lights will work with a low battery, but our jacks won't. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. No solutions yet--we're plugged-in and fuses are fine. Not sure about manual override. We have curb side and street side awnings and the SS works just fine.  I think we'll just broil until sundown and call Oliver on Monday.

Doug & Dan

Des Moines, Iowa

(waiting on a ) 2020 LEII

In regards to manually closing the awning..,,,, See attached scan of the manual. It can be done, it requires a flat bladed screwdriver to remove an end cap, plus a 3/8” wrench to wind it in - when done it may have up to a 4” gap so it would not be towable. Unless you could somehow keep it in place with a bunch of 1” ratchet straps. Plus it requires (professional) servicing to reset the limit switches after doing this. There is no indication that you can manually open the unit.

D5C0905A-BC83-4390-A318-5FAF838F6339.thumb.jpeg.b7351e0a37c476afb45664d58811e899.jpeg

I wonder, how many buyers consider this sort of situation when checking that option? It would ruin your day and maybe your entire vacation if it failed. If it failed way out in the boonies,  it could cost you an expensive tow fee. It would be prudent for an owner to understand how to retract it and have a ladder and  the means to secure it in place to tow it home or to a shop. Maybe these super duty nylon ties would work? I have been trying to come up with a use for them ,....

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4359-griplockties-reusable-rubber-lined-super-duty/

Are you situated so that you can reposition the rig 180 degrees so you can use the functioning awning for shade? Good luck on your quest, please keep us updated.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 8 months later...

We have the same problem. The curbside awning will not extend. 
We had a technician out and he couldn’t repair it. We had it transported back to Oliver to be repaired. They claim to have reset the remote and it worked there. 
It doesn’t work for us. 
They offered to walk us through resetting the remote. 
Due to windy conditions we haven’t been able to follow through with this suggestion.

We have followed Dometic’s online guide to reset remote. Nothing.

I’m really flustered. 
Our family has a 2019 and a 2020 Oliver. No problems with the 2019. 

Did you find a solution?

Oliver Service Department?

Kind of a long shot here... but could it be related to the wind sensor? The wind sensor does have the capability to prevent the awning from opening for a short time after it has caused it to close.. perhaps the batteries need replacing? Or it needs to be replaced? Of course you need to get the awning open in order to fiddle with it....

• Thanks 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg