Goal Zero panel w/ adapter to ZAMP controller?

Howdy, folks.

I did a quick forum search and didn't get any results so perhaps its time for a topic?

Anybody hooked up a Goal Zero panel to the ZAMP controller using the 8mm-to-SAE adapter here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1366342-REG/goal_zero_98063_8mm_to_sae_connector.html/DFF/d10-v21-t1-x851970/SID/EZ

Is it safe/smart to assume the ZAMP controller is "downstream" of the external solar connector and will thus do its thing for this non-ZAMP panel?

• Moderators

The zamp port is wired backwards of typical sae. That adapter won't work, imo, in the zamp port.

External  ports don't connect (usually) to a house solar controller.  You are expected to have a suitcase solar, with its own controller.  The solar port is in a line, with inline fuse, that goes from port to battery. Not connected to the zamp house controller. 

I could be wrong, but that's how its normally done.

Does your Goal zero panel have its own controller?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sherry is correct on all points.

I did a quick look at the Goal Zero website and only looked at a couple of their panels.  Neither panel I checked on included solar charge controllers, so they would not be a good fit for your Oliver because you would need to add a charge controller between the Zamp Sidewall Port and the batteries.  It looks like their panels a designed to charge their batteries and power stations which have solar charge controllers built in.  I’ll look again if you provide a model number of the panel you are referring to.

Mossey

Edited by mossemi

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

The controller is an add-on installed in the "generator". I was hoping to carry the panel back and forth between my Oliver and my overland rig. Sounds like that'll require some creative wiring at the least.

Glad I asked! Thanks for the info!

On 8/16/2020 at 8:32 PM, mossemi said:

I’ll look again if you provide a model number of the panel you are referring to.

Mossey

This reminds me of Apple hardware versus everyone else. Are there no standards? And where there are can you please follow them! 😉

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll likely have to give up on the idea of having a single suitcase for all use-cases.

Edited by nrvale0

13 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

The zamp port is wired backwards of typical sae. That adapter won't work, imo, in the zamp port.

External  ports don't connect (usually) to a house solar controller.  You are expected to have a suitcase solar, with its own controller.  The solar port is in a line, with inline fuse, that goes from port to battery. Not connected to the zamp house controller. 

I could be wrong, but that's how its normally done.

I'm going to ask my sales rep again, but I was told the external solar port does use the onboard Zamp controller.  I will ask again to verify.

If the external port does not go the through the house controller, does that mean you can't monitor the input of the external panel other than by the SOC of the batteries?

This is our situation:

The Oliver will be housed in our RV carport, so rooftop panels will not be supplying power to the batteries (Lithium Pro Package) during storage.  We would use the external Zamp port to connect a portable panel, mounted to the side of the carport that faces South,  for the purpose of keeping the batteries charged and to power a low wattage space heater, as needed.  Living in the PNW, solar conditions are constantly changing, especially during the winter months. 

My hope was that we could monitor the output of the external panel, to best position it and to know when we need to plug into shore power, using the onboard Zamp controller.  Maybe it doesn't work that way. 

In addition, I have read that trickle charging the lithium battery bank is not advisable, so it will be more important that we have a good way to monitor battery charge.

Does any of this make sense? 😀 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

This is our situation:

In addition, I have read that trickle charging the lithium battery bank is not advisable, so it will be more important that we have a good way to monitor battery charge.

572DABE7-595E-42B1-B712-A6F0B494AB57.thumb.png.0f0794763884a7764e38ec3c7702e436.png

Mossey

• Moderators

It's (probably) possible to use your really nice yeti panels. With some adapters. 

The "addon" module you have on your goal zero battery is probsbly their mppt controller. But it's installed, so fairly permanent. 

Add another controller inline, the correct adapters,  and you might just be golden. If the voltage output is enough to charge your batteries. 

Which panels do you have? 

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:22 PM, mossemi said:

572DABE7-595E-42B1-B712-A6F0B494AB57.thumb.png.0f0794763884a7764e38ec3c7702e436.png

Mossey

Thanks for the info . . . . this whole decision making is overwhelming :classic_wink:

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

This would seem to apply to the original question.

I wish goal zero would publish answers, rather than a phone number to call.

Maybe you'll let us know what they say,  @nrvale0

20200818_193130.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Sherry,  It looks like GoalZeroSupport answered the question about charge controllers not being included with their panels.  That seems like a blanket statement to me in that none of their panels have charge controllers, unless I have totally missed the question.  And Krunch would suggest that I am in my own little world, so that is a distinct possibility.🙄

I do agree that installing a charge controller between the sidewall port and the batteries would solve the problem. And I must have missed a post referencing the Yeti panels.

Mossey

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mossemi said:

I do agree that installing a charge controller between the sidewall port and the batteries would solve the problem

Yes, it was my thought that Goal Zero/Yeti/Boulder/Nomad might have included a more complete answer. If they sell a reasonable solution (controller and adapters), nrvaleo could quickly solve his issue, and use the panels he already owns .

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Clarifying just in case anyone stumbles on this thread later...

solar generator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CRQX9KW

charge controller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076631RKH/

suitcase: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3TC113/

That setup has two(?) issues with connecting to ZAMP system in Oliver: 1) Would require an 8mm-to-SAE adapter except ZAMP wires their SAE connectors backwards because "single vendor". 2) It's unclear that the external solar port on the Oliver passes through the on-board charge controller.

Thanks, everyone.

Edited by nrvale0