Great towing articles about “not enough truck”

John E Davies

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We towed our Lance 1685 with our trusty little Toyota 4 Runner over 10,000 miles through the mountains, out west and back with no problems”.  

Lance 1685 empty weight = 3,500#

Lance 1685 gross weight = 5,500#

4 Runner trailer rating = 5,000#

Toyota 4.0L at 7,000 ft = 213 hp / 220 ft/lbs.

Edited by Dean

• 1 month later...

Appears the statement made about the 8 cylinder Toyota 4Runner" Personally, we’re glad we upgraded from our beloved 4 Runner to a Tundra.  If the 4 Runner is rated for 5,000 lbs, make sure that the trailer weight doesn’t exceed that capacity.  The 1885 in Tom’s situation was 3700# dry weight.  The gross weight was likely (just like our 1685) scary close to the 5,000# limit. 

The V8 4Runner is rated @ 7000 lbs. Once again a reporter is negligent in knowing and stating facts.  Makes one cringe as much as when I hear or read "I read this on the internet". Hahaha. A great source of information when stated by a knowledgeable source. 

Very unfortunate to ride in a rutted surface but this does occur. The Tundra, dependent upon year and model of V8, will pull a greater load but it is a lighter vehicle. Would the same situation have occurred with the Tundra? Who knows! I've been present at many vehicle accident scenes. Listening to the "What Happened" and looking into the eyes and knowing more than their statement was occurring at the time. "Cell Phones" The need to answer and reply immediately does nox mix well with driving. Add impairing drugs and we know the possible deadly outcome.

• Moderators

It's important to note that the Elite is smaller, and lighter, than the Elite II.

Not for nothing,  but the range of available tow vehicles is much wider with our smaller trailers.

Sherry 

Edited by SeaDawg
typo
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.