First Outing

desmo_pilot

Hi all,

In another thread I had committed to posting some pictures, so finally getting around to that. :)

It is ironic that the timing of our first outing coincided one year to the day of when we first discovered Oliver at the 2008 Phoenix RV Show. The show was here again over the weekend. My wife and I were pretty set on getting a tent trailer, but after seeing the Oliver and hanging out inside it for about an hour...we were hooked and decided that was the path for us. We took delivery of #40 on Feb 2nd. We did quite a few changes/upgrades, so special thanks to Robert and the crew for making them happen. Here is a summary of the options and mods we did:

-Lengthened tongue 14" to allow for permanent attachment of the generator/cargo basket.

-Generator prep w/ propane outlet

-bbq propane outlet in rear

-upgraded Tripplite charger/inverter

-200w solar package with BlueSky 2512ix charger and IPN-Pro remote.(same as Chris and Cherie's setup)

-2 Lifeline 4C 6v batteries(220Ah total)

-charge station inside cabinet to the right of the radio(12v(3) and 110 outlet) for charging cell phones, gps, handheld radios, etc

-Porcelain traveler lite toilet

-LED lighting

-Additional porch light on street side.

-installed Streamlight Ultra Stinger rechargeable flashlight inside closet. Uses a 12v smart charger to keep flashlight always charged. I use these at home and love them. Draws very very little current, so no impact to batteries.

-deleted the microwave and have a cabinet instead. Will use small toaster oven.

-went up two additional sizes on the Marathon tires. Now have 225/75-15 D-load tires. Gives a little more clearance/cushion for going offroad, plus has a higher load rating. I still plan to pick up some different wheels and install a 1" taller all-terrain LT tire. There is plenty of clearance in the wheel well and suspension travel. The taller tire will ride better when we take it to the backcountry, which will be most of our trips.

-fiberglass propane tanks(definitely lighter than the steel units and great to be able to visually check the fuel level)

-cell phone amplifier

-Fantastic fan 6600

-additional reading lamps

-swapped for the Norcold fridge instead of the Dometic

-Black tank flush

-couple of extra cushions that prop up against the stripper pole. Also extra cushions for the small dinette/couch/twin bed.

I'm sure I have forgotten some things, but that should be close.

We made it out over the weekend for our first outing in the Ollie. Spent two nights at Dead Horse State Park in Cottonwood, AZ. Friday night the temp got down to 25 degrees and we were very pleased with how comfy it remained in the trailer with the use of the furnace. Yeah, the fan is loud and Suburban needs to step up their game and use some modern quiet fan technology. But, it did keep things comfy. :) We were in the group campground, so didn't have hookups and just relied on the batteries. I expected a larger usage of the batteries, but the furnace really didn't consume that much overnight. We cooked full meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner, which was much fun.

Overall, we had a great time in our first outing and can't wait for the next. My buddy and I are planning a trip to Lee's Ferry(Colorado River) in two weeks for some flyfishing.

And now the pics:

DSCN1032.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1016.jpg

DSCN1017.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1030.jpg

DSCN1031.jpg

Evers15.jpg

StreetsidePorchlight.jpg

Kyle

• Like 1

I love your color scheme! Your Oliver looks great! How was Dead Horse State Park? Chuck and I have sent in our applications to workamp there, but we have never been there. We just love that part of AZ. I hope you like camping in your Oliver as much as Chuck and I do! After 3 weeks at home we just have to hook up our Phunny Pharm, throw the 3 dogs in the 'burb and go somewhere! :D We are headed home today after 10 days on the road. Chuck's youngest grandbaby just celebrated her first birthday! That was good enough reason to hook up and go! :lol:

Looks great, Kyle! That's quite an impressive list of upgrades! Unless I somehow missed it, can you explain what that wall-mouted white box it to the left of the bathroom door? Smart decision to skip the popup and get the Oliver right away, IMO.

I'm jealous that all you southerners are already camping. We've got 6-8 inches of snow on the way today, so winter is not over yet.

Herm

Chuck and Geri,

This was our first time to Dead Horse State Park. Although have spent quite a bit of time in Cottonwood, Jerome, etc. Just had never gone to the park.

We were there with a group from the flyfishing club we are part of, so the club had reserved the group camping site. The group site doesn't have hookups, but was nice. Sites were level, had fire rings and picnic tables. It is a nice 5-10 minute walk to the ponds and the horse stables.

Right next door to the group site is a small site with hookups. It had more vegetation and trees.

And up the hill is the largest camping site, which had hookups and very nice pads. The views from this upper site are AMAZING!!! Can see the lights of Jerome at night and have beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. We were really impressed and look forward to staying in this site the next time we go there.

The park has some hiking/biking/equestrian trails and some of them follow the Verde River. We took a long stroll Saturday morning. One of the trails was under the canopy of cottonwood trees, so was a beautiful setting.

There are three ponds at the park and two of them are stocked for fishing. During winter months they stock rainbow trout and the summer months they receive channel catfish. The ponds do have a year round population of largemouth bass, although they stay pretty small.

And since it is right in town, you can easily take a bike ride to old town Cottonwood to visit one of the artsy/craft stores or listen to music outside on the patio at the coffee/gelato shop.

Overall, we had a very good time and will certainly go back. We would recommend staying at the main camp site that is up the hill, as the views just can't be passed up.

Good luck on your application. I hope they you get the opportunity to host there.

Kyle & Karen

Herm,

The white box is for the cellphone amplifier. That white box is the receiver part. The amplifier is inside the cabinet to the left of the stereo.

Yeah, we are very happy we decided to go with the Oliver and not a tent camper. I'm sure we would have had fun with a tent camper, but it definitely wouldn't be able to compare to the adventures we'll have in the Ollie. There were a few club members with tent campers at the outing over the weekend. And on Sunday morning is was very enlightening watching them take down camp and how long it took them to get ready to hit the road. With the Ollie, it is such a quick process. There were a few envious comments made to us on how fast we were able to break camp and be hooked up ready to go. 8-)

Kyle

• Moderators

Kyle & Karen,

Nice looking interior and list of options. Well done! The charging station and mounted rechargeable flashlight are especially nice. On trailer # 40 can you turn on all of your exterior lights from inside, to include those on the street side?

I see you are fly fishermen. I've only been once with the Wonder Egg and found that a suction cup hook attached to the outside makes a great place to hang up waders for drying. (Something I learned from camping with SeaDawg in the Appalachian Mountains - Sherry is the Queen of Suction Cups :idea: )

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy :D

• Like 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Kyle and Karen,

Congrats on your new Oliver. Looks like you had a great time on your first trip. We wish you many more wonderful adventures with your new trailer.

Sherry & Paul

PS Love the fabric you chose, and the options. The interior shots are great!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Kyle & Karen,

Nice looking interior and list of options. Well done! The charging station and mounted rechargeable flashlight are especially nice. On trailer # 40 can you turn on all of your exterior lights from inside, to include those on the street side?

I see you are fly fishermen. I've only been once with the Wonder Egg and found that a suction cup hook attached to the outside makes a great place to hang up waders for drying. (Something I learned from camping with SeaDawg in the Appalachian Mountains - Sherry is the Queen of Suction Cups
:idea:
)

Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy
:D

Hi Pete,

No, the streetside porch light has to be turned on from the outside on the streetside. The switch is inside the outside shower compartment. I may in the future run the wiring to the interior switch bank though. Or at least to a location that I don't have to open the battery compartment door to get to the switch.

Totally agree about the suction cups. I actually already bought some of the larger Power Lock suction cups for hanging waders outside to dry. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Kyle

• Moderators

Since Pete has appointed (annointed?) me the queen of suction cups.... the outside suction hooks are awesome.... For holding: brooms, chair covers, outside shower towels... even my eyeglasses, folded over and perched on the hook. :D Occasionally, I've forgotten to remove them, and have been so surprised to see them still attached to the Oliver when we stop hundreds of miles later. (Can't say I recommend it... Just happened)

As I have said, so very many times before, we love our little Oliver. We hope that both of you will feel the same way we do, a year--and 17,000 miles---- later... as we do now. We're soooo looking forward to summer trips in our Oliver.

We have had great adventures, traveling and camping, and meeting wonderful people from this forum and others. It has been a blast.

Sherry

also known as... the queen of suction cups????

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.