Nature’s Head Crank

Fritz

For those of you with composting toilets, how difficult is it to turn the crank as the chamber begins to fill (i.e., after using the toilet for a couple weeks)?  The context here is one of  arthritic hands.  In advance, thanks for your comments...

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

As it fills the handle does get harder to turn.  It isn't something I find that difficult, especially compared with the efforts of having to dump a black tank. As to effort on ageing limbs, I'd say the composting is slightly ahead, either way - it requires work when it comes to emptying the composting unit every two to three weeks, verses the  black tank much more often. Not to mention the required water.

If I was primarily a "full hook up" camper I'd go with the regular toilet. But we try to stay away from "civilized" campgrounds and the composting unit works well for us.

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Add a small Walmart flip top trashcan to the front of the toilet (one sized to fit under the TP toll and toilet vent.) Put ALL paper products in the can, none should ever go down the head. This dramatically eases turning - there is nothing like a long string of paper wrapped around the stirring arms to make it hard to rotate. A spritz of vinegar into the can keeps the odors away.

The three arms are simple threaded rod, you could easily fabricate longer ones for more leverage.

I have increasing loss of hand strength (neuropathy) and do not find the NH to be a problem, so far. Keep in mind that it would be super simple to retrofit a flush toilet - all the main items including black tank, vent and water supply remain in place. Only the flange and big hole would have to be added. You could sell your used NH on Craigslist for $300.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

3 hours ago, Overland said:

The ratcheting shifter handle looks like it would work, too.

Wow, that is so very nifty..... Thanks for posting. Unfortunately it requires a complete kit for “older” toilets that is not available yet.

Our shifter handle will NOT fit onto the agitator of an older base that was originally ordered with the standard or old spider handle. You will have to purchase the re-fit kit to switch agitators which will be available shortly. 

I emailed them asking about when we could buy one, and the price. It think this would be great for an Ollie with one caveat - you can’t reverse the rotation direction. I sometimes “stir” backwards to loosen things up. I still might get one. I would like to be able to stir without bending over so much, plus this would clear the waste bin way better.

But most importantly, when you are sitting there you can pretend you are a race car driver. Vroom vrooooom!

EDIT: I received a prompt email from Angela, “The shifter refit kit is available and it $65 and $15.85 shipping.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

First gear, it's alright
Second gear, I lean right
Third gear, hang on tight
Faster, it's alright

...with apologies to Brian Wilson and Mike Love

• Haha 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg