F-150 lug nut issue

GrumbleandTwist

I know that many of y'all use Ford F-150s to tow your Oliver, so I thought you might be interested in this issue.  About a week ago I had a routine oil change and tire rotation done on our 2017 F-150. When they had finished, the mechanic suggested that I should consider replacing the lug nuts, as they were showing signs of swelling and could prove to be difficult to remove should I have to deal with a flat tire.  I checked online and found that mid-2010s F-150 models have two piece lugs, which are prone to swelling, to the point where a standard lug wrench won't fit.  Also, the outer piece could detach, making it even more difficult to remove the lug.  My mechanic recommended ordering new lugs online, as it would be less expensive than having him order them. So short story long, check your lugs and maybe save yourself some trouble.

Greg (Grumble)

15980204956782748785229422063940.jpg

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, GrumbleandTwist said:

I know that many of y'all use Ford F-150s to tow your Oliver, so I thought you might be interested in this issue.  About a week ago I had a routine oil change and tire rotation done on our 2017 F-150. When they had finished, the mechanic suggested that I should consider replacing the lug nuts, as they were showing signs of swelling and could prove to be difficult to remove should I have to deal with a flat tire.  I checked online and found that mid-2010s F-150 models have two piece lugs, which are prone to swelling, to the point where a standard lug wrench won't fit.  Also, the outer piece could detach, making it even more difficult to remove the lug.  My mechanic recommended ordering new lugs online, as it would be less expensive than having him order them. So short story long, check your lugs and maybe save yourself some trouble.

Greg (Grumble)

15980204956782748785229422063940.jpg

We have had tire service a couple of times on our 2013 F-350 SD 4wd, and the tire shop did not mention any problems.  I'm going to  assume this is only on F-150 models.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Not just Ford. Capped lugnuts are on a lot of vehicles. Had to replace them on our 2008 Ram a year ago. Also "swollen." 

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I’m very surprised these type of lug nuts are still in use. They were even more of a problem back in the 80s when they where more widely used. They are much cheaper obviously than a solid chrome lug nut. Cheep parts saves millions to manufacturers.

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 3 months later...

I purchased these from Amazon about 6 months ago and would highly recommend.  They fit perfectly on my 2018 F150 FX4.

Set of 24 Eisen 14x1.5mm One-Piece Lug Nut

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

2020 F250 Lariat Supercrew 6.7 Diesel 4x4

2020 Oliver Legacy Elite I  *   Hull #664 (April 2, 2022 Incident)

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II * Hull #293 (Purchased Used April 16, 2022)

Located SE Texas Region

ABBCYTAKAZARCACOIDLAMSMTNVNMORSDTNTXUTWA