Mileage towing LE2

Fritz

I've been curious about towing mileage of various vehicles.  So, I did a search for gas, diesel, and mpg in the forum archives for reference since 1/1/16.  The graph below shows the minimum mileage, average (mean) mileage, maximum mileage, and the number ("n") of references.  For vehicles with only one reference, the maximum, average, and minimum values are the same.  The references that I found cover a range of conditions (speed, terrain, temperature, etc.).  Because of this, and because of the small number of listings for most vehicles, the results are anecdotal and not statistically significant.  Nonetheless, in aggregate they provide some indication of what one might expect for towing mileage.

The results are probably not surprising: (1) half-ton diesels (e.g., ecodiesel) or diesel SUVs did best, (2) gas generally engines fall into the 10-13 mpg range, (3) 3/4 ton diesels seem to get 13-16 mpg.  And, of course, towing mileage is only one consideration for selecting a tow vehicle.

It is unlikely that I found all mileage references in the forum archives -- the search function doesn't seem to be entirely consistent in picking up the same references over multiple searches.

I can expand this mileage compilation with additional data if the results would be useful to enough of you.  If you'd like to submit mileage, please respond with the following information: trailer (i.e., LE1 or LE2), tow vehicle, year, engine, gas/fuel mileage while towing, gas/fuel mileage while not towing, the number of miles over which you are estimating the gas/fuel towing mileage, typical travel speed, and the region of the country in which you travel (e.g., NE, SE, midwest, west).  I realize that there are lots of other variables (e.g., transmission, axle ratio, vehicle modifications, etc.), but accounting for these becomes too complicated.

Mileage Graph1.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators

Well, that was a labor of love.

Sherry 

Since we have an original shorty, we can't help with the stats. But, I thank you.

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for putting that together.  I'm sure it will be of help to a lot of people.

I can give you mine, which is for the high output 3.5 ecoboost, which Ford is using in the Navigator and Limited F150 as well as the Raptor.  I see 10 minimum and 13 max, typically 12-something, towing an LE2.  The Raptor is the least aerodynamic of the F150's and has big all terrain tires that don't help either, so given that, I've been satisfied with the mileage I've seen.

Just remember with your research that there are certain numbers that men always exaggerate, MPG being one of them.  😛

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Nice charting. You are on the money with 3/4 diesels mine, Chevy  falls in that category 13- 16 mpg while towing 21mpg non towing. I just reset my trip indicator. At the end of the trip look at the results of performance and Mileage. There is always a plus or minus, depending  on the trip.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

1 hour ago, Landrover said:

Nice charting. You are on the money with 3/4 diesels mine, Chevy  falls in that category 13- 16 mpg while towing 21mpg non towing. I just reset my trip indicator. At the end of the trip look at the results of performance and Mileage. There is always a plus or minus, depending  on the trip.

Thanks.  Yours was one of the ones I charted: listed as 15 mpg in a post on 7/8/19.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

3 hours ago, Overland said:

I can give you mine, which is for the high output 3.5 ecoboost, which Ford is using in the Navigator and Limited F150 as well as the Raptor.  I see 10 minimum and 13 max, typically 12-something, towing an LE2.   

Thanks.  I'll add this in if there are enough responses to update.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Since we have an original shorty, we can't help with the stats. But, I thank you.

I did find 2 postings for towing mileage with the OLE1: 13.4 mpg with and F150 V8 (BugEyeDriver) and 15 mpg with a Tacoma (Skalywag).

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Will have to wait a few months to report mileage with our F350 SD 6.7l Diesel 4wd, towing our yet to be built Ole2.  When we towed a 30' 5th wheel, GVWR 10,400#, we got 12-15 mpg.  Expecting around 14-16 with the much lighter Oliver in tow.  Not towing we get 18-20 mpg.  

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

In 35,000 miles, about 13K towing the Oliver EII, I have a pretty good feel for fuel mileage with my 2018 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 , with Leer cab high cap, while heading  west from TN, is usually different than returning home, easterly,   ----   grade and speed, city, Interstates, and stop and go all rolled into the averages the GMC is consistent.   On big fast highways, averaging 60 to 70 MPH, we get about 14 MPG. (Fully loaded Ollie, full truck (leave the kitchen sink, got everything else) two humans and a dog)  I have seen as low as 12, a and as high as 17 - while towing. Non loaded, around the  farm home, I see 18 mpg on average. A trip to the big city, I'll see 20 mpg - at 70 mph, just cruising. 

But that is not the complete story  the other expenses are also important - upfront costs are higher with the Duramax, oil changes are more expensive than a gas vehicle, add in fuel filters changes every 10K, and the obvious higher price of diesel,  and the total costs are add up  - more than a comparably sized gas engine - but not by much.  (I do my own filter changes when possible)  

For our traveling pleasure the total cost per mile is totally offset by the the ride and comfort factor of the GMC - which are very high with my truck.  Miles go by, hours pass on the way to where ever, and when we arrive at the end, we are not weary of the journey.  That is worth something. 

Strangest thing is the wide gap we saw in diesel prices this year, usually in the $2.20 to 2.45 range (Not CA - add $2) and a few times below $2, once we paid $1.61.  - I used to do a complete assessment of a trips expenses - but anymore is just a tally - doesn't matter- as it has always been in a Gaussian distribution ( Ha - how's that..) 

So there you have it - a real world sample on one couples TV experiences. 20200630_095350.thumb.jpg.e041102f6be529f691ee228ff0f34971.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

What a wonderful chart! Add info for my 2013 Land Cruiser 5.7 gas with plus 2” tires (raises overall gear ratio)

Ollie LE2 6000 lbs estimated. 42 psi in tires and gravel guards add some rolling and aero drag.

10-11 mpg towing 62 mph lots of terrain Pacific NW

12-13 at 62 mph flat and steady (Rare)

9-10 mpg slow hilly backroads

14.5 mpg over-all empty when purchased at 96k (previous owners apparently did not tow)

13.6 mpg over all at 139k (includes 14k towing)

Best ever SHORT term empty (70 miles dead flat at 60 mph) was 17.8 mpg. Land Cruisers have always been known as gas hogs, except in Oz where they are 95% diesel and in stock form are a little less inefficient.

Thanks for such a great thread.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Looks like most get around the same fuel mileage regardless of what engine you have in your 1/2 ton full size pickup, or for me 12-13 about it. Now for you diesel owners looks like you get a little more mpg, but the extra cost of diesel fuel and the truck itself never worked out for me. My 2019 Ram gets right at 24-25 mpg at 70 mph without the trailer, so what can I say. Yes Susan, I know you pull other trailers and that's why you have a 1 ton diesel pickup, I would to if that was my situation. All being said, I buy what I like and will do the job, fuel prices don't let me stop buying what I want. Back in the day we pulled our 28 ft. travel trailer with a 454 suburban, it got 8 mpg with the trailer and 8 mpg without the trailer, I could outrun just about anything up Wolf Creek Pass, I loved it. 

trainman

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

21 hours ago, Dennis1 said:

...don’t see the 2.8 duramax...

Please let us know what your towing mileage is with this truck, and in general, how it performs as a towing vehicle.  I'll add your data to the graph....

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators

So, if you're collecting Elite I data, also, we average 11.5 to 12, interstate highway speed with the Elite in tow. 2008 Ram 1500 4x4. Not towing, 16 to 16.5, interstate speed.

Slower roads, of course, it all improves. 

Thank you again for compiling this information. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
Just now, Fritz said:

What is a typical highway speed for you?

Speed limit. 70 to 75.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...

Picked up #762 last Friday. Drove to Memphis then Houston. 2019 gmc Denali canyon 4 cylinder diesel. 900 miles about 60% state roads, multiple towns, lights etc.,  moderately hilly, on state roads 17,5 interstate 18.5. Crazy towed amazing could pass easily going up hills, no movement in trailer. Overall 18, Better than I thought. Drove 60-70

BB2159EF-DFED-4FF1-A4C9-3E67E8980A15.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2020 Chevrolet Silverado 6.8L gas engine. 10.1 (rolling hills 20-25 mph headwinds) to 13.8 (calm flat interstate cruising)   Avg just under 12 MPG under all conditions over 3000 miles of towing. 

• Thanks 1

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

In about 55 days, we'll be reporting mileage towing our 2021 Elite II with a 2013 F-350 Super Duty Diesel 😊

Ray and Susan Huff

On 10/9/2020 at 12:06 PM, Dennis1 said:

Picked up #762 last Friday. Drove to Memphis then Houston. 2019 gmc Denali canyon 4 cylinder diesel. 900 miles about 60% state roads, multiple towns, lights etc.,  moderately hilly, on state roads 17,5 interstate 18.5. Crazy towed amazing could pass easily going up hills, no movement in trailer. Overall 18, Better than I thought. Drove 60-70

BB2159EF-DFED-4FF1-A4C9-3E67E8980A15.jpeg

We'll be towing with an 8cyl diesel (F-350)  I don't expect we'll get that kind of mileage!

Ray and Susan Huff

Please, keep 'em coming!  With a few more mileage reports I'll update the graph at the top of this thread.  Hopefully this will help those that are choosing tow vehicles for their Oliver trailers.

If you'd like to submit mileage, please respond with the following information: trailer (i.e., LE1 or LE2), tow vehicle, year, engine, gas/fuel mileage while towing, gas/fuel mileage while not towing, the number of miles over which you are estimating the gas/fuel towing mileage, typical travel speed, and the region of the country in which you travel (e.g., NE, SE, midwest, west).  I realize that there are lots of other variables (e.g., transmission, axle ratio, vehicle modifications, etc.), but accounting for these becomes too complicated.

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

On 10/17/2020 at 2:08 PM, Dave judge said:

Sorry the drive down we got 28.6 mpg.

Must have been mostly downhill??

• Haha 1

Ray and Susan Huff