Mileage towing LE2

Fritz

4 hours ago, Dave judge said:

No ,not down hill. Mostly following the Mississippi river. Look up the spec on the 3l powerstroke diesel . 

Driving south along the Mississippi River IS downhill. At least, the last I heard, even if it is only 600 feet change from Iowa to the Gulf... 🙂 Just like the Great Plains, ignoring wind effects, you get a little better mileage headed east than west

.John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

56 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Driving south along the Mississippi River IS downhill. At least, the last I heard, even if it is only 600 feet change from Iowa to the Gulf... 🙂 Just like the Great Plains, ignoring wind effects, you get a little better mileage headed east than west

.John Davies

Spokane WA

I have a hard time remembering this.  In the PNW, unless you are traveling in some parts of the eastern high desert area, most all routes are up . . . . and down . . . . up . . . .  and down :classic_wink:

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Here’s another data point:

2012 Porsche Cayenne V6 gas, 300 hp and the same number for torque, towing capacity 7700 lbs.  LE II loaded to approximately 5500 lbs; trailer tire pressure ~60 psi. I’ve towed my 2017 LEII approximately 28,000 miles which included three trips to Oregon from Boston.  I generally cruise near 70 mph.

Ave 13 mpg.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Bob G

43 minutes ago, Rleog said:

Here’s another data point:

2012 Porsche Cayenne V6 gas, 300 hp and the same number for torque, towing capacity 7700 lbs.  LE II loaded to approximately 5500 lbs; trailer tire pressure ~60 psi. I’ve towed my 2017 LEII approximately 28,000 miles which included three trips to Oregon from Boston.  I generally cruise near 70 mph.

Ave 13 mpg.

I find this fascinating, not  doubting you at all.  However, the listed curb weight of the Porsche is about 4400 lbs. and a standard EII is about 5500 lbs. dry, , I am curious, does the tail wag the dog at all. In 28000 miles I would guess your more than happy.  Just interesting -  a cool sports vehicle pulling a cool RV!!!!

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Hi Beyond

The dry weight of the current LE II is listed at 4900 lbs on the Oliver website.  I just looked through my 2017 manual but couldn’t find the unloaded dry weight of my trailer.  I travel with the fresh water tank low and carry some of my gear and supplies in the back of the SUV, which usually has 2 adults and one ~70 lb dog.  I had the Cayenne on a scale at a waste disposal site once.  With me onboard and nearly a full tank of gas but no cargo the weight was 5.040 lbs.

I have the Anderson hitch.  I’ve often wondered how effective it is but have never towed without it.  I’ve not had any problems with the tail wagging my SUV, though my Golden Doodle often wags me.

You’re spot on with the statement that, with 28000 miles towed, I’m more than happy.

Edited by Rleog
Typo
  • Like 1

Bob G

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Rleog said:

I just looked through my 2017 manual but couldn’t find the unloaded dry weight of my trailer.  I travel with the fresh water tank low and carry some of my gear and supplies in the back of the SUV, which usually has 2 adults and one ~70 lb dog.

Somewhere on the interior of your Oliver - usually it is right above the door on the interior - there is a yellow decal that has all of the weight information for your particular Oliver.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

23 hours ago, BackofBeyond said:

I find this fascinating, not  doubting you at all.  However, the listed curb weight of the Porsche is about 4400 lbs. and a standard EII is about 5500 lbs. dry, , I am curious, does the tail wag the dog at all. In 28000 miles I would guess your more than happy.  Just interesting -  a cool sports vehicle pulling a cool RV!!!!

What I found when towing a car trailer with my Touareg, it towed better than an F150.  My guess for the reason is while there is a weight disadvantage, the "arm" from rear wheels to hitch ball was much less.  Also IRS with coils is generally tighter than live axle on leafs.
image.png.e2f9934e945512ae26970265f80744f7.png

image.thumb.png.d430363bc8856ed04404b382c1aec0e3.png

• Like 2

Between Olivers…

2 hours ago, WhatDa said:

What I found when towing a car trailer with my Touareg, it towed better than an F150.  My guess for the reason is while there is a weight disadvantage, the "arm" from rear wheels to hitch ball was much less.  Also IRS with coils is generally tighter than live axle on leafs.
image.png.e2f9934e945512ae26970265f80744f7.png

image.thumb.png.d430363bc8856ed04404b382c1aec0e3.png

And the Touareg is AWD

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Here is an updated graph of LE2 towing mileage; the update includes responses in this thread or additional references that I found in the archives.  Data are summarized in this  PDF:   LE2 Towing Mileage (Table).pdf  

For illustration purposes, I've aggregated data by general vehicle and engine type (see graph below).  The "n" value is the number of mileage data in a group; the higher the number the more reliable the average (although this case the number of data are insufficient to be statistically significant).  Nonetheless, these mileage estimates likely fall in the ballpark of what one might expect for these vehicles.  

1145602684_ScreenShot2020-10-24at3_48_20PM.thumb.png.659046af3f55b80474befd8eabbabd52.png

I found only three references to LE1 towing mileage (which ranged from 11.5 to 15); these are listed in this PDF:LE1 Towing Mileage (Table).pdf

Bottom line: most folks see towing mileage with the LE2 ranging from about 9 mpg to more than 18 mpg, depending on vehicle, terrain, wind and temperature, speed, city/highway, etc.  

In addition, fuel mileage for various vehicles over millions and millions of miles are compiled at Fuelly.com.  Data can be sorted by engine type, and include a mix of towing and no-towing, city and highway, etc. conditions.

Fuel mileage is but one of many criteria for selecting a tow vehicle.  Nonetheless, I hope thread helps others (like me) for whom towing mileage is one factor in choosing a tow vehicle.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

• Moderators

Thanks so much for gathering all this data. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.