Alternative Sewer Hose System

DCKiefer

• Moderators

I'm sure you both mean RV antifreeze, available at big box stores for $2-3 a gallon when on sale. The composition of RV antifreeze is different from automotive anti-freeze, and non-toxic (though I wouldn't want to drink it!). http://www.camco.net/faqwinterization.cfm This article explains a bit about how RV antifreeze is different from automotive, and how it works.

We have the luxury of warm winters, but do keep some on hand in the shed in North Carolina, just in case. (Last year, we had snow and temps into the teens during late October camping.) We ran the heat, left the bathroom door open, and had no problems in our camper, without RV antifreeze. (We do not, however, have a macerator. It may be colder out there in the bumper area...) YMMV.

If you're staying in Maine awhile, you may want to google "winter camping rv". There are many good posts and articles on line about how to protect your plumbing lines in freezing winter weather. We bought the double-hulled Oliver with cold weather camping in mind (I'm from Minnesota, Paul from western NY), but haven't been able to test it in weather less than the teens (yet).

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sherry, you're absolutely RIGHT! RV antifreeze must be used. Thanks for the clarification. I've never used it before. Do you know if it is concentrated and must be diluted, or does it always come in ready to pour containers?

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

That might work. Also, I've got a device on my boat that warms the engine compartment with hot air. I'll research it when I get home
(I'm in Maine now)
and see if it has possibilities.

Maine, MAINE ! Brother, you be careful up there ! Them folks ain' got no idea abour puttin' newspaper on a table in the back yard and they likely thank that a Cajun hollerin' "AAAAeeee, Fa do do" is some kind of evil chant.

However, on the other hand, they does do sea food well !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

... I've never used it [RV Antifreeze] before. Do you know if it is concentrated and must be diluted, or does it always come in ready to pour containers?

Pete,

RV antifreeze comes in gallon jugs, ready to use. It doesn't need to be diluted. (Diluting will reduce its effectiveness.) It's much safer around Oscar the smiley dog than car antifreeze, which should never be used in an RV. A gallon or two should be enough to winterize the empty grey & black tanks and traps, and the freshwater lines.

I'm sure Herm in the Twin Cities or one of the other northern owners can offer suggestions if anyone has problems following the manual instructions. They look pretty straightforward to me.... but unnecessary here in Florida and where you live in Texas!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry and Pete,

Thanx for the help on this issue. It looks like it'll be a relatively simple job to keep things from being damaged. My "little" brother lives in Casper, WY and I'd like to visit him (and Yellowstone) this winter, but I was worried about that plumbing in the bumper.

Mais, cher, dey got dem giant crawfish here in Maine, but dey don' know nuttin' 'bout Zatarain's. Next trip I'm gonna brought plenty Crab Boil and red beans fo' dem. Dey mus' be hongry, yeah!

Aubrey

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

When no RV anti freeze was available when I still had my Casita, cheap, very cheap ;) vodka was used in shower trap and in both tanks but the Oliver is so well insulated that we didn't worry in the 20 degree weather we had in FL last year. left bathroom door open and a little electric heater going. But Wyoming winter?????? :( cold, very cold. RV antifreeze ONLY !! :D

I don't have a macerator, but I concur with others that the safest thing is to pour straight RV antifreeze (-50F is typical) into your empty black tank (I don't recommend grey because I find it's harder to ensure that it's completely empty), and pump it out with the macerator. I assume we're talking about just riding out a short-term cold snap in the 20's, where the rest of your plumbing is probably safe in a heated trailer.

Anything colder, or if the trailer is not being heated, I would do a full winterization of the plumbing. I provided instructions in a topic a year ago, if you want to see how I do it. In fact, being that it's 30F right now and lows around 30F for the next three nights (and few degrees colder in the suburbs), I'm considering winterizing this weekend. Another camping season has come to an end. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Tom, AKA Meanderthal, is considering adding a macerator to his Ollie. I thought I'd post my thoughts for him on the forum for all to see in case they are also thinking of the modification.

I am well satisfied with they way my setup works for my needs. It fixes the one unpleasant thing about RVing for me. Charlie is correct, however, in that the vertical drop from the outlet to the pump is less than optimum and it does "suck air" towards the end of a dump. Fortunately, at home if I use the system I am pumping slightly downhill over a distance of 100 feet or so and there is no problem. At camps, I love the 21 foot stretch on the hose. Makes getting to the septic a breeze.

I raise up my rear jacks and extend the front jack to get a very positive rearward tilt of the trailer. This helps with the evacuation of the fluids, etc in a more positive manner, minimizing any "leftovers" in the tank. I follow the black gravity flow with a good hose flush in the black tank using one of those four holed clean-out extensions hooked to a regular hose. (I don't have that cool factory installed black tank clean out device yet) This helps with the clean out of the long black line running from the black tank to the outlet. This is then followed with copious amounts of gray water.

Charlie, did you swap over to the "Tank Buddy System?" I wonder if you could attach this permanently - keeping it all tucked in the bumper space and simply swing it out and down for service? This might be the best set up of all.

Tom, if you go that way, let us all know how it works . . .

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

allenpamela,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been traveling around in the Wonder Egg for a few months. The macerator continues to be a helpful addition to The Wonder Egg. I recently stopped in at Hohenwald and had the guys add a septic clean-out hookup. Now the "dirty job" is even an easier task, as there is no need to haul a clean-out wand through the front door. I simply attach the external hose to the clean-out port, pull the black lever and turn on the macerator, when the pitch changes on the pump I turn on the hose which does a thorough rinse inside the tank for 2 minutes . . . hose off, pump off, lever in and I'm done!

Life is goooooood . . . .

Thanks for responding. Sounds great to be out traveling for a few months. Hope you had a great time. We have been limited this year due to illness of parents, but hope next year we'll get out more with the Ollie. We have the clean-out hook-up which is wonderful, it does make the job easier. And it's great to hear that you can still stop at Holenwald and have them be so helpful. Have you emptied your trailer's tank's directly into your toilet in your house via the Macerator? Even though the company says you can do that I'm concerned that the pressure would spray everywhere.

Thanks for your help.

Pam and Allen

• Moderators

allenpamela,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been traveling around in the Wonder Egg for a few months. The macerator continues to be a helpful addition to The Wonder Egg. I recently stopped in at Hohenwald and had the guys add a septic clean-out hookup. Now the "dirty job" is even an easier task, as there is no need to haul a clean-out wand through the front door. I simply attach the external hose to the clean-out port, pull the black lever and turn on the macerator, when the pitch changes on the pump I turn on the hose which does a thorough rinse inside the tank for 2 minutes . . . hose off, pump off, lever in and I'm done!

Life is goooooood . . . .

Great solution !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Pam & Allen,

If I get home and still need to empty the black tank, I hook the macerator to a 1" hose which runs to the back yard where I have a clean-out port for my septic system (about a 125' distance). I run the hose about a foot into the 4" pipe and turn on the system, followed by plenty of clear water which cleans the hose. I've never brought it into a house toilet. While technically feasible, I'd be concerned with the neatness of that process.

Do you have a campground near you that might allow you to use their dump station for a small fee?

Thank you for your response. We do have two dump stations within three miles of us which are very convenient. We have had a problem with a small leak every time we empty your tanks. When we start to dump the waste it leaks then stops. We always dump a little of the gray first until the leak stops then do the black. It appears to be right where it comes into the bumper. We've had it looked at and no one can determine the problem. We, of course, tip the trailer back which helps some but it really bothers us, so we thought it would be easier if we could just deal with it at home when we can. My husband is like you, he's concerned about the neatness of the process of using a toilet in the house to empty the tanks.

Thank you again for your response.

Pam