Electronics Pro Package

Keithinator

Has anyone gotten this upgrade on their trailer? When (not if!) I get my Oliver Elite II trailer, it will be crucial that I have as much connectivity as possible, as working from the trailer will be a necessity. 

For those who have this, I'd love to know if you feel it's worth the premium, and how it's worked out for you. I won't be full-timing in my Oliver, but I will be using it regularly.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

If your business depends on connectivity, then I’d spend some time on rvmobileinternet.com learning what else is available. Chris and Cherie who run the site we’re once Oliver owners and they’ve made a business out of keeping people connected on the road. 

I think Oliver’s kit is fine for most, but there’s always better stuff out there, if you’re willing to spend the money and time. 

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Oliver’s new packages - are individual components still available, or are you forced to buy an electric door lock if all you want is a WiFi booster?

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Overland said:

I think Oliver’s kit is fine for most, but there’s always better stuff out there, if you’re willing to spend the money and time. 

I agree. There is nothing wrong with Oliver's setup but if you're technical or have the time to become informed, there are better options on the market. If cellular wasn't critical to me, I'd probably just opt for the wifiranger setup and call it a day. The cost isn't that much above the MSRP of the device and the installation will be clean. If you're interested in seeing what else is out there, rvmobileinternet.com is by far the best source on the internet. Their youtube channel is another place to start: https://www.youtube.com/mobileinternetresourcecenter

• Like 2

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

4 minutes ago, Overland said:

Yeah, it hurts when two years later you see the shiny new thing that's both better and cheaper than what you've bought.  You've just got to find an inner peace with that somehow, lol.  

It’s just the fast pace of modern technology. It’s the most advanced when it comes out. 6 months later it’s obsolete.

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

On 8/26/2020 at 6:11 AM, Overland said:

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Oliver’s new packages - are individual components still available, or are you forced to buy an electric door lock if all you want is a WiFi booster?

All options in the packages are available ala carte, except the 3000w inverter.  If you truly want or need all the items in a package, you will save a few hundred $$.  That is a big if . . . . I wonder if they aren't trying to move inventory items that aren't selling individually, such as the Auto Drain switch in the Electronics Pro Pkg.  the Lithium and the Solar packages are the only combos that go together.  The others, not so much.  These are the options we have chosen:

Lithium Pro pkg - though I wish it had more solar wattage

From the Electronics Pro pkg - only the cell phone booster

Outdoor Pro pkg - 30 lb LP tanks and additional 30 amp convenience connection.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

15 hours ago, 1Lessworker said:

I do like my Cell Amplifier, If i have only one bar on my phone it will boost it to 2 bars, most all the time.

Has anyone used the cell phone booster with a cellular wifi receiver?;  ours is Mifi.  I'm hoping it will work

Or would the Wifi booster be a better solution for the Mifi?

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

5 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Has anyone used the cell phone booster with a cellular wifi receiver?;  ours is Mifi.  I'm hoping it will work

I don't have an Ollie yet, but I've had my truck set up for working online remotely for years now.  I recently upgraded some of my components and I'm very pleased with my results so far.  Currently, I have the WeBoost Drive Reach cellular booster and I use an AT&T Nighthawk hotspot.  The Nighthawk is positioned in the back of my truck very close to the WeBoost internal antenna so it can benefit from the boost.  I have found that the Nighthawk is often great by itself and I only use the WeBoost when the cell signal is very weak.  WeBoost actually hurts download speeds a bit but really helps upload speeds - so it's best to use when doing video conferences and things that require bigger upload speeds.  If you are able to position your mifi near (I'm talking within feet) your cell booster antenna in the Ollie, I don't see why it wouldn't work well.  

Side note:  I then use the WIFI network created by the Nighthawk for everything (iphones, ipad, wireless cameras...).   With this setup I didn't order any of the electronics for our Ollie.  My truck wifi hotspot should work great without modification (I'll just leave it in my truck) when we're in the Ollie as well.  The wifi router also allows other cool things like using the wireless cameras as backup or dashmount while driving and security while camping (even when away from our setup the cameras will ping if there is some activity, etc.).  I plan on checking for bears before I open the front door every morning.  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

42 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Will your current set up (in the back of the pickup) work when you are inside the Ollie?  

I can't say for sure until I pick up the Ollie and try it but I have a good WiFi connection for about 100' from my truck (unobstructed) and the router will be in the back very close to the Ollie so I will be shocked if it doesn't.  I'll let you know for sure sometime shortly after 11/18 if all goes according to schedule with our pickup.

• Thanks 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

55 minutes ago, NCeagle said:

I can't say for sure until I pick up the Ollie and try it but I have a good WiFi connection for about 100' from my truck (unobstructed) and the router will be in the back very close to the Ollie so I will be shocked if it doesn't.  I'll let you know for sure sometime shortly after 11/18 if all goes according to schedule with our pickup.

I just wonder . . . .  with the double fiberglass hull and insulation, if the signal will pass through the trailer wall.

Ray and Susan Huff

I have the MIFI Jetpack also and it works with the cell phone booster. I opted not to get the WiFi booster 

Edited by 1Lessworker

Sue & Harold

Oliver Elite II Twin bed,  Hull #508, Ram 2500

CAIDINIAKYMIMNMTNENVNDOHORSDTNUTWIWYmed.            

3 hours ago, 1Lessworker said:

I have the MIFI Jetpack also and it works with the cell phone booster. I opted not to get the WiFi booster 

Thanks! . . . . . that's what we are doing.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

We have used the Wi-Fi ranger with campground Wi-Fi and with a Verizon Tether and also enabled failover too.  It is a pretty impressive setup.  I have had issues with disconnections because the iPhone needs us to "Trust" the connection.  Recovery is to reconnect through the Wi-Fi Ranger GUI.  I would order the Wi-Fi again.  I believe the WeBoost is a no brainer, but because we have camped in some campgrounds in the NH White Mountains and the VT Green Mountains that have limited cell signal, I ordered an antenna from Wilson with more gain.  I haven't replaced the antenna that came with the unit yet, but I have attached the new antenna and strung the antenna wire through the dinette window and placed it in the same location on the roof.  At times it seems to give me an additional bar and other times it doesn't.  I did the advanced iPhone "hack" to see how the iPhone sees the connection and it appears to have a better empirical signal.  As Wilson says on their YouTube channel, there is benefit in the WeBoost even if you don't get the visible extra bar.  Rerunning the cable will be a pain because I will need to attach a pull string to the end of the existing cable in order to pull back the new cable from the antenna.  I haven't decided yet whether it is worth it to do this yet.  

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

• 4 months later...

Late to this thread, but I did opt for the "Electronics Pro Package" on my Elite 1 (delivery day coming right up!).

I don't see any manuals or specifics on the "4G Cell Phone Booster" or the "Wifi Booster" listed in the package description. And on OTT's site, they have manuals and downloads for the 2020 Elite 1 (but not yet for the 2021).

I am sort of geeky but not in the ways of networks, wifi, etc. More design and servers and some coding, CMS. 

That said, I rely HEAVILY on good internet, daily, and want to know if anyone has the specifics on these two (above) items. Models, brands, etc.

I do NOT mind getting "extra" or better (I know, it changes daily and I joined the Mobile Internet Resource Center thing but have not had TIME to research). 

Long story short, assuming I move campsites, say, every couple weeks, and stay at State Parks and RV parks til I get the hang of FT RVing (totally new) before "boondocking"), will I even need or ever be able to USE my Netgear  Nighthawk X45 Cable Modem Router from the sticks-and-bricks rental I am leaving? (Have been a Gigablast customer with Cox in sticks-and-bricks, and I can't imagine I will get anywhere near those kinds of speeds with anything in a TT, but I'd like to try, ha.) 

Sorry to butt in to this thread with "too busy to research" questions, but I am packing and dealing with a lot of personal family stuff while all this is going on. 😞

I have Verizon cell (business plan) "unlimited" data (not sure it really IS, but I've had it a LONG time), BTW. if that helps. I use a LOT of wifi gadgets and I WILL need the "best" internet setup I can get in the Ollie as a FT heavy internet-using person.

Thanks for any clues as to the above, including suggestions for what to get that is NOT part of my "Electronics Pro Package." 

Lazily and busily yours,

Sheri

Edited by SherMica

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JRK said:

If there is aluminum in the hull shell, then radio inside the shell will be attentuated. How much depends upon the frequency.

That's how we keep the Martians from reading our thoughts!☺️

• Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

2 hours ago, JRK said:

If there is aluminum in the hull shell, then radio inside the shell will be attentuated. How much depends upon the frequency.

John

You are waaaaay above my pay grade in this stuff, obviously. But I laughed (at myself!) because I “read” your post as “If there is an aluminum in the word word word word something word word word something word word frequency.” 

Srsly, I get the general impression I maybe should have just saved my money on the “Electronics Pro Package,” but it if has an antenna “thingy” then maybe that (MIMO?) WITH a mifi-Jetpack will work best far as me being able to surf, download, sync with DropBox, update create and write on websites, log in to servers, watch Netflix, listen to Spotify? Those are the types of things I do most with internet. 

Also is there ANY point in my taking my Echo Dot, and various “smart plugs”? 

Thanks again for clues, all. Boy do I need them. Sheri

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

Echo Dot works great for listening to music, getting weather updates, etc., etc. so long as you are connected to the internet.  Just use Bluetooth to link it to the Furion/Jensen unit and you are good to go. The older version Dot (the one that plugs into a USB outlet) uses less power than the newer units and do not require turning the inverter on.

Mike

Edited by mjrendon
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mjrendon said:

Echo Dot works great for listening to music, getting weather updates, etc., etc. so long as you are connected to the internet.  Just use Bluetooth to link it to the Furion/Jensen unit and you are good to go. The older version Dot (the one that plugs into a USB outlet) uses less power than the newer units and do not require turning the inverter on.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I forget which Echo Dot I have exactly but it may be “not the older one” since it plugs into a regular household outlet. I also have the Amazon Firestick which I assume will work fine with the Ollie 1 TV and an HDMI cable, and .. . . gah this is confusing I think I’m just super tired. Pretty sure sales rep etc. said yes I can stream Amazon Prime movies and Netflix via wifi like one does at home except I am wondering about the speeds and all. 

Correction. My Echo Dot has the usb end going INTO the unit itself if that was unclear. I am just too tired to think straight today.

Edited by SherMica

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

I'd probably  keep the dot, and a few smart plugs. They don't weigh much,  and take up little space.

If you later decide to get a Verizon jetpack, your dot could be useful.

As far as Netflix, prime tv, hulu, youtube, etc, I can watch TV on my phone , and/or broadcast it to my "smart " TV upstairs . Or, download when I  have wifi, and watch later. You could download music and movies to a thumb drive, or portable hard drive, and store a lot. We routinely download some shows  to a notebook or laptop before an Alaska trip, because we often have zero signal in our favorite spots in the Yukon and Northern BC. Something to watch on a rainy day. 

With our unlimited Verizon plan, we never get capped, but there is a throttle back in speed, if we exceed some limit that we've never exceeded . I don't remember what the limit is .

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The Fire TV stick works great in the trailer too.  There is a USB connection on the back of the television to provides power.  The Fire TV also requires internet to be of any use. 

I have both the Fire TV Stick and a Roku Stick Pus. The ROKU  as a cleaner interface than the Fire stick (IMO) and supports screen sharing if you use IOS and/or MACOS devices, which is very handy. I like both but prefer the Roku.  Both work great and do not require the inverter to be powered on to use them.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2